Notices

26' twin I/O speed

Old 09-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 26' twin I/O speed

Guys, I've been looking for a 23-26' twin engine boat and ran across this:

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/12963

Seems about perfect for what I want, but the top speed of 60 mph with 560 hp seems rather low and is a deal-breaker. Is that typical? Or is it a poor setup?

Looks like large-hub cleaver props. I don't have any experience with I/O's, but it seems like you'd want some Bravo's or even Tempests on there to get some more bow-lift.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-01-2011, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The TRS's and trannys add a lot of weight. My boat with 350 mags and alphas bumps 70...an o/b boat w/twin 250s should be in the mid/upper 70's....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7keni7oAIUY
i'm the i/o being shot by the TRS boat, and being dusted by the o/b boat....
btw, sutphen hulls are the best you'll find in that size...all things can be modified..
c
Old 10-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C- I agree with you 100%

It is not the boat to buy if your looking for top speed. Just take into consideration everything else the boat has to offer for the $. Not going to make a sales pitch, the specs speak for themselves. I understand if top speed is priority #1 and/or if you have an higher budget, but if we are talking about $18,000 boats here.......
Old 10-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by swordfish blair
...It is not the boat to buy if your looking for top speed. Just take into consideration everything else the boat has to offer for the $. Not going to make a sales pitch, the specs speak for themselves. I understand if top speed is priority #1 and/or if you have an higher budget, but if we are talking about $18,000 boats here.......
So, humor me. . . if I were comparing the 26' twin I/O Sutphen (560 hp, 60 mph, 1.3 mpg) to a 24' twin O/B Superboat (400 hp, 80 mph, 2.1 mpg) that's a few thousand $ cheaper, what are the selling points of the 26' Sutphen?

Again, I have limited experience with this size/style of boat, so don't assume I know something that may seem obvious to you.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Registered

The ride will be better in rough water simply do to the weight and lower center of gravity of the sutphen. The sutphen has a larger cockpit and cabin. Other than that it's a tough comparison, two different rigs. I am not sure where you plan on running the boat, going 70-80 mph in the ocean in a 24' is not an all day event for most. I refuse to start a sutphen vs. superboat argument here. (esp. TRS vs outboard). It is what it is, happy boat shopping!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

The Sutphen is by far a larger and better riding boat.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Registered

The selling point on this boat are the new parts and equipment. I do not know anything about other boats you are considering, but i know its easy to look around a used boat (esp. in this price range) and see and easy $1000-2000 needed in replacement parts. Open an engine hatch, basic stuff like exhaust and pumps, hoses, or fuel tanks, adds up quick. Hows the trailer? Interior shot? there is $2500 easy for either of those. Or whats the lower units of those high revving outboards look like? Maybe you know all this, but I have been there!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a 24 superboat clone w/ single i/o...great boat, wicked durable, where do you boat, what are the conditions like? Sutphen=bigger water, more safely.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Registered

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I currently run a 21' Checkmate Pulsare BR with a 300 HPDI Yamaha that goes 90 mph and sips fuel, but beats you up in waves. I currently do about 50/50 rivers/lakes, but I'd like to start doing some offshore. Goals for my next boat are:

1) Rough water ability - one of the local rivers is heavily bulkheaded with a lot of traffic. It gets rough. Plus I'd like to be safer in our large, shallow lakes and be able to go offshore.
2) I'd like a small cuddy to get some shelter in rain showers and maybe a very occasional overnight.
3) Twin engines in case of failure, so I can still get home.
4) Fuel economy. I know any step up in size will result in more fuel usage, but I'd rather not double my fuel consumption.
5) Speed. I'd still like to be in the ~80 mph range.

I really don't mean to start a debate, but I'd like to understand what I'm getting into.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Registered

I have found that almost any boat you look at you will have to make a compromise on something unless you have deep pockets. In this case you get e 3 out of the 5. This boat doesn't use that much fuel either. It will use more than your Yamaha but that's expected going from a 6 to 16 cylinders. Any way further down the road you could drop a couple of 383s and you would be closer to your speed goal.

If you want to see it let me know. It will also be at the CT River run on the 16th.

Boat is listed on the oso classifieds as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.