Need help with 26 Sutphen outboard >

Need help with 26 Sutphen outboard

Notices

Need help with 26 Sutphen outboard

Old 08-24-2016, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesGang
Well your probably looking just under 80 with twins and just over 90 with triples. I suggest you beef up the transom real good if you go with triples though. It's not just the weight, there's a lot of adverse forces going on back there when you get these things up over 90. And to run correctly at those speeds your gearcases cant be buried so that means the outside cases bark a lot. Its tough on things but if set up correctly it will work great. You need vent kits on your outside cases and you need a hull pickup for the center engine. With twins real easy, bolt them on as high as you can get water pressure and go have fun. A lot more complicated to set up the triples and have it be trouble free. So I'm curious - what do you want?
I would be fine at 80 with properly setup twin 300xs. I was worried the COG would be off with triple 3.0 on a OP. Looking to do a 23" stainless marine bracket and rnr slide master jackplates. I would definitely add some huge knees and maybe a horizontal. I love the big blocks that are in it. But I've been a outboard guy always. That and I'm sick and tired of working on big blocks, I pretty much have to pull the engine to change the impeller on the starboard engine.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is how the inside of mine is trussed up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558628[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Need help with 26 Sutphen outboard-sutphen-restoration-20.jpg   Need help with 26 Sutphen outboard-sutphen-restoration-18.jpg  

Last edited by JamesGang; 08-24-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558629[/ATTACH]

Was trying to post this one. Having trouble here tonight. Anyway we got 4" angle aluminum across all the top bolts to bracket. That also ties into aluminum knees that bolt into stringers, as well as the cross bridge. I don't think all this is necessary with twins. When I had twins I just had the aluminum, I added the cross bridge and side knees when I did the triples.
Attached Thumbnails Need help with 26 Sutphen outboard-untitled-63.jpg  
Old 08-25-2016, 04:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pictures, that is a work of art.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Jimmy, I'm trying to get in touch with you, I talked to Jeff from RI the other day and he said you are the guy to talk to when comes to 31 with outboards.
Just recently I got white one from the CT with twin 300x on it.
Can you please call or txt at 347-574-5447
Thank you, Iliya from NYC
Old 09-02-2016, 11:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hey lliya.
Just saw your post. I'm up in the Adirondacks for the weekend. I'll give you a call on Monday if that's ok with you. If your in the middle of something and need info before the end of the weekend call me on my cell. 845-641-3322
Jim