Old 12-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

God Speed Ritchie
Old 12-28-2017, 02:16 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 548 Likes on 259 Posts

RIP Richie Sutphen, the industry lost another great one yesterday.

https://speedonthewater.com/in-the-n...ats-remembered
Old 12-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 79 Posts

I put this on Facebook, but would like to share it here also.

When Richie first showed up on the offshore scene in the early 70's, racing was split in two divisions, Open class... which was the big boats and Production class ....which was the small boats. Magnum 27's and 28 Cigarette's were pretty much dominating the Production classes. Richie had a hot little 20 footer that he produced in New Jersey and a lot of people liked. But he blew that boat up to 30 feet and then told the public, this is the new hot design for Production boats.

Some shook their heads and some ;laughed, but some, like Bill Gazell, sold his 28 foot Cigarette and bought one of these new Sutphens and called it GREAT ADVENTURE. And from that point the list of good racers just kept adding the name Sutphen to the winner's circle. I can't remember them all, but guys like Tim Sheehan who fought so many battles with his Magnum, finally got a Sutphen and then BUSCH quickly became M1 for the Modified class in APBA, Stan Pike and Gene Whipp with Paul Lesnewski in that orange rocket ship INFERNO also became S1 for the Sports class in APBA. Tony Garcia with that all black Sutphen on the west coast, stepped out of that boat right into Howard Arneson's cat and won many races. Even the smaller sized boats like the 26 footer were rocket ships in the right hands. Remember on an early poker run on Narragansett Bay on a turbine powered big Outerlimits boat, the owner kept complaining that the pain in the neck BOXER of Ernie Dupuis, kept catching up and then passing him all along the run. Richie's lagacy will live on for many years in the capable hands of his son Rich Jr.

There were many more and a great deal of credit should also go to the way Richie set up his distribution. He had Jim Goodrich in Connecticut. Yes, Jim Goodrich. He probably sold 80% of all the Sutphens made for a time period there in the 70's.

May he Rest in Peace. He left the sport in far better shape from his contributions, he made us all work harder.

Deepest condolences to the whole Sutphen family.

Richie was a good builder, good racer and good guy.

Last edited by Top Banana; 12-28-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 674 Likes on 343 Posts

R.I.P Richie
you were a helluva boat builder and a funny guy when I asked how my boat would handle at hi speed.
Thanks for all your input on rigging your boats.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is very difficult to express my feelings for Richie Sutphen Sr. He was a guy that loved a to be challanged. I remember one month before the F2 class started, he had a 30 foot hull with no power just sitting there .He said" They have a new class in APBA that requires two HP500 engines." I was turn 3 , on the first lap and they already had a huge lead.. That boat that Richie threw together in one month left everyone in the dust.Every team in the F2 class spent two years trying to catch that little 30. He was about to build a SVL that would have been very competitive. He was always willing to help anyone that seeked his advise. He will be missed by all that have met him . My condolences to Chris, Marie, and Richie Jr.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

My condolences to all; all his friends and especially his family. I'm proud to be part of the Sutphen legacy.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I grew up in Ft. Myers, lived on the river and always had a boat. I remember my first ride in a 20' Sutphen with a 455 Berkley jet drive at the age of 14. I was hooked. I raced outboard boats in my teens, but always remembered that first ride in that Sutphen and one day dreamed of racing offshore. My neighbor had a 1986 30' Richie built for him and I loved to watch it on the river. I bought and restored a 1977 Magnum 27 Sport in 1980. By now Richie and I had become friends. Then one day he blew by me in a 33 footer like I was standing still. I bought the my neighbors old 30 footer in 1996 and repowered it. 1997 was my first race in Local and was also the first race for the F2 boat with Richie driving & Doug Lewis throttling. We both won that day. Next race Sarasota, again Richie won F2 and me Local. For next two years lots of fun going to races & hanging out. Great guy, great friend, I saw him last 3 weeks ago at the shop always smiling. Enjoyed as always visiting and talking shop. He taught me a lot and was the inspiration for me getting into the Marine Industry. I still have 3 of his boats. My heart is with Chris, Meri, Jr. and their families.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SutphenL30
I grew up in Ft. Myers, lived on the river and always had a boat. I remember my first ride in a 20' Sutphen with a 455 Berkley jet drive at the age of 14. I was hooked. I raced outboard boats in my teens, but always remembered that first ride in that Sutphen and one day dreamed of racing offshore. My neighbor had a 1986 30' Richie built for him and I loved to watch it on the river. I bought and restored a 1977 Magnum 27 Sport in 1980. By now Richie and I had become friends. Then one day he blew by me in a 33 footer like I was standing still. I bought the my neighbors old 30 footer in 1996 and repowered it. 1997 was my first race in Local and was also the first race for the F2 boat with Richie driving & Doug Lewis throttling. We both won that day. Next race Sarasota, again Richie won F2 and me Local. For next two years lots of fun going to races & hanging out. Great guy, great friend, I saw him last 3 weeks ago at the shop always smiling. Enjoyed as always visiting and talking shop. He taught me a lot and was the inspiration for me getting into the Marine Industry. I still have 3 of his boats. My heart is with Chris, Meri, Jr. and their families.
Great story! What boats do you have?
Old 01-01-2018, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1986 30" Offshore Performance Specialties L-30, 1987 31' Spirit & 1999 35 only one he ever built with # VI SSM
Old 01-01-2018, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SutphenL30
1986 30" Offshore Performance Specialties L-30, 1987 31' Spirit & 1999 35 only one he ever built with # VI SSM
Post some pics if you can. Would love to see the 35.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.