Notices

Commercial truck help???

Old 05-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Commercial truck help???

Hillbilly,

Good stuff...I'm probably going to have to walk into a dealer; Not having clue when dealing with sales people not good. I just learned of this new job description tonight. I did not know Iszuzu made a cube van, need some lingo, more lingo, wants defined, save money! I'm owed some back pay; I'm taking mostly shares, but can get a little cash, the more I save the more I can get cash wise! Yes, thats how I plan on paying for the Donzi.

edit because adding new information.

Will have inhouse mechanics, kinda. We buy alot of fruit from the packing sheds. One will bend over backwords for us, includeing lending us employee's when needed.

Last edited by Zudnic; 05-04-2005 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like you're looking for used medium-duty commercial chassis. First, you want to make sure they fit your drivers- you really narrow the talent pool if you have a truck over 26,000# GVW- you need a CDL for anything over. Some states also have air brake restrictions.

As far as a truck, the best medium out there is the International with the 466 engine. You don't want the 444 which is a v-8. The International has the strongest, most serviceable engine and the largest dealer network. I've bought several used units in the last few years and the others just don't stack up. The Freightliners are OK but lesser quality than the International. The Cat 3126 has been a problem for us. Most of my customers operate fleets and many have mediums- I've asked them all and almost universally they've warned against the Cummins motor.

Go on Truck Trader and search your local area- you'll find 10 Internationals for every Freightliner, F-650 or GMC. There must be a reason.

Also, spring for the Allison. It will cost a few bucks more up front but will save you big in service down the road- not to mention driver comfort.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zudnic
Second need: We own 600 acres of orchard and need a simple flat bed for hauling bins to our packing plant. I'm also into cars, so the flatbed like the tow companies would be nice for me.

Be very careful of rollback trucks.

One, they usually get beat on pretty hard. Nice ones are hard to come by and usually $15 to $20K more than a comparable flat bed.

Two, they're likely to send your insurance through the roof. My carrier told me our insurance would double if we added one. Plus Worker's comp will likely freak. In Ohio, the highest (most expensive) BWC classification is tow truck driver. You buy a rollback, you're now a tow truck operator.

Three, they're mostly built on a low-profile chassis- they ride bad and the small 19.5 tires don't last worth a damn.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to talk to Brian. He is the owner of the Racing Frenzy boat. He is the VP of used truck sales for MHC truck. I think they are the largest heavy/medium truck dealer in the country. Brian can help you with the right truck and at the right price. He is on OSO and he goes by bryanh. Give him a PM or call us and I will give you his number.
Matt
Old 05-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Registered

We own 33 Kenworth dealerships and we specialize in all makes of used equipment. Please feel free to give me a call or an email I am sure we have or can find you the right truck(s) for your needs. We have about 600 used trucks in stock today of all makes and models. We also have over 2000 trucks in our lease fleet that we could potentially find you the truck that you are looking for from there.

Bryan Haupt
VP of Used Trucks
MHC Kenworth
www.mhctruck.com
[email protected]
Old 05-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Registered

I had a feeling alot of people would have the run down on what I need. Plus some added thoughts, like workers comp, Washington State is one of the most expensive places to do business!

Thanks all