Notices

Upsize tires for Excursion

Old 05-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Upsize tires for Excursion

To eliminate slight scrub of tire on leaf I tack welded 2 washers to the turn stop.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbr2328
How many miles??? What year??? Diesel??? Mine went up 3" front and 1.5" rear it now sits 1/2" lower in front than rear. I will prob use rancho 9000's or bilsteins. Sway bars and springs killed the wander and bounce from the front end. I can get the part #'s for the springs for you they cost like 125ea front and rear block and u bolt kit is about 100$

Mine is an '03 diesel with 50K on it.

What you're describing is exactly what I'm looking for. Those numbers would be a GREAT HELP.

I was also thinking about a steeing damper- any experience with one? We have them on our shop trucks and they make them more driveable on bumps but that's not a problem I'm having with the Ex.

I also thought about urethane bushings but don't want to add harshness to the ride.

With that small of a lift, would you need to use longer shocks? I'm amazed that with the stock setup, there's only 1.5" to 1.75" of daylight below the bump stop. I'm surprised I haven't worn them out
Old 05-18-2005, 01:37 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rbr2328
I have 35x12.5x18's with f450 front springs and f 350 4"rear blocks. The 450 x springs as they are called actually improve the ride and raise the front end off of the bump stops. The Excursion will start riding on the stops after very few miles(poor spring rate for diesels) Here is a pic. Oh and no scrubbing.

What make and model are the wheels?
Do you remember the size and back spacing?

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 05-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a lot of discussion on this topic at www.thedieselstop.com. Most put a V code spring under the front, and/or replace the front bump stops with smaller stops from a later model Excursion. The steering wonder is common, and may be from the spring wrap on the REAR axle. I installed Radius Rods, which are discreet ladder bars, and they did all kinds of good things for handling, ride, and steering wonder. Also use a Helweig anti-sway bar, ride rite airbags, and Rancho 9000 shocks. If the trailer did not weigh so much, I might go with Bilsteins instead.

I still have steering wonder, but not if I let go of the steering wheel. Repeat: not if I let go of the steering wheel. Spent big dollars with a big truck alignment shop, and they got the alignment and steering geometry right. But the movement of the truck must cause my arms to shift while holding on to the steering wheel, and thus induce the current wonder. Would not have tried that before the radius rods.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a hold of Troy @ http://www.tremellens.com/
Old 05-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

40's on 20's with no lift, mine just must have been made bigger..
(11" of lift with American Spring packs. 12 leaf packs in the front 10 in the rear, not too much sway in it anymore, actually feels safer turning now than it did with the stock mushy springs and shocks it came with. Bilstien gas shocks with reservoirs.
Attached Thumbnails Upsize tires for Excursion-resized-excursion.jpg  
Old 05-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

great looking truck
Old 05-20-2005, 07:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart

I still have steering wonder, but not if I let go of the steering wheel. Repeat: not if I let go of the steering wheel. Spent big dollars with a big truck alignment shop, and they got the alignment and steering geometry right. But the movement of the truck must cause my arms to shift while holding on to the steering wheel, and thus induce the current wonder. Would not have tried that before the radius rods.

Mine is the exact opposite- I can move the wheel back and forth and the truck doesn't move. It just goes where it wants independent of steering input. When it does start to move off of straingt, it takes over-correction to get it back. On perfectly smooth and level roads, it's not an issue. Any crown or cupping and I'm wandering everywhere.

The problem you describe sounds like one I had with my Tahoe. It ended up being a bad pump- pressure relief stuck and over-pressuring the system making it overly sensitive. It was strange as it crept up slowly and I didn't notice it too much until my buddy drove it and pointed it out.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:39 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BillR
What make and model are the wheels?
Do you remember the size and back spacing?

they are weld velociti 8's..... the size he will have to tell ya
Old 05-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Registered

I have 305/50/20's on my Excursion. They only rub on the front factory mudflaps I have on but I trimmed the insde of those and they barely rub now. Only rub if your at full lock on the steering.

Quick Reply: Upsize tires for Excursion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.