Notices

painted trailer & salt

Old 05-24-2005, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painted trailer & salt

I bought a 23' Formula w/o a trailer.

I looked at the usual suspects, ez, load-rite, loadmaster...

Then I found a semi-custom local trailer shop.

The trailer is painted steel. The fabricator claims the trailer will hold up fine provided I rinse it and touch it up once and a while. They have made them for years and one trailer was >20yrs old w/o issues.

The trailer appears top quality. It is C-channel heavy guage steel so draining isn't an issue. And it is WAY overbuilt (via my untrained eye). All welds no bolts..., nice sealed electric brakes, submersible lighting...

What is your opinion on going painted steel into salt water vs galvanized ?
Old 05-24-2005, 02:04 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Re: painted trailer & salt

I would go all aluminum with all Stainless Steel hardware, brakes etc.
(hell, I did go that route and have been happy)
with regular maintainence most of them will last, but how much do you want to mess with "touching up" the painted one?
Old 05-24-2005, 02:08 PM
CMC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the aluminum trailer have any issues when used in salt water?
Old 05-24-2005, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CMC
only issue would be that they can float ...if you are at a ramp with strong currents it can cause the trailer to swing with the current .... I have see PVC pipe mounted with concrete in them....
Old 05-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not put a steel trailer in salt. My current Eagle (1998) was salted a couple times before I owned it, and it is quickly beginning to show. Lost a brake line from corrosion this past weekend and I'm currently in the process of replacing all lines due to corrosion. Lots of surface rust patches that will need to be dealt with before they progress much further.

My first Eagle (1993) was over 10 years old, never salted, and looked like it just came off the factory floor.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:48 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CMC
It gets dirty....
Other than that salt won't hurt the Aluminum or Stainless Steel. The only items I need to worry about are the galvanized winch stand/ winch, the coupler, and the lights are sure to have a problem eventually, but haven't so far. I still would hose down (not wash) the aluminum trailer whenever the boat gets washed though.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My 311 had an Eagle when I got it ...best pulling trailer I ever pulled ...but had to sell it because of the salt ..it was Black ...... Anyone have any thoughts on painting Aluminum ? I think it would look pretty cool ...
Old 05-26-2005, 12:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have had boats, built boat trailers, and been around boat trailers and salt water for the last fifty years. I would only say never buy a painted steel trailer for salt water use. Also, never buy a trailer with drum brakes for salt water use. No matter how much you rinse off salt water the longevity of steel and cast iron will be short lived. Buy aluminum with stainless steel fasteners or a stainless trailer and you will get good service. Also, do not buy trailers with leaf springs as there is no protection that you can put on the springs that will prevent the rust and they will rust and brake. Torshion axles are the best that you can buy today.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:15 AM
Registered

The only complaint that I have with Torsion axles it that the trailer bounces alot. I don't feel it in the truck but sure can see it in the mirrors. Do they make a shock system for these trailers???

P.S. No painted steel trailers in the salt water, they will rust out quickly and look like S**T!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 07:31 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by VIPER7
I have had boats, built boat trailers, and been around boat trailers and salt water for the last fifty years. I would only say never buy a painted steel trailer for salt water use. Also, never buy a trailer with drum brakes for salt water use. No matter how much you rinse off salt water the longevity of steel and cast iron will be short lived. Buy aluminum with stainless steel fasteners or a stainless trailer and you will get good service. Also, do not buy trailers with leaf springs as there is no protection that you can put on the springs that will prevent the rust and they will rust and brake. Torshion axles are the best that you can buy today.
Exactly what I bought!!!

Quick Reply: painted trailer & salt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.