Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
rear suspension improvements on duramax? >

rear suspension improvements on duramax?

Notices

rear suspension improvements on duramax?

Old 07-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default rear suspension improvements on duramax?

I currently have a 04 duramax 3/4 ton hd and was thinking about the best improvements for ride quality when towing. My boat and trailer with fuel is around 6500 lbs with about 10 % tongue weight. My complaint is when driving on concrete exspressway w/big cracks in exspansion joints you get the steady jounce every few seconds as truck hits cracks. I have changed hitch to keep trailer as level as possible on both trailer tires,there is enough tongue weight were it isn't the trailer boucing up on the hitch,its more like the shocks must get hot and the suspension compresses from medium to firm and jounces you. running 80 psi instead of 50psi in back tires makes it better(they are stock all season radials). Are the stock shocks oil shocks or gas,would better shocks help,are air bags the fix? Ive towed super heavy trailers with alot of tongue weight and it is actually better,as far as moving boat on trailer for more or les tongue weight thats out of the question. My chevy dually would do something similar but not exactly the same and the solution was to remove the overload perches completely and add air bags.This 04 isn't as bad as my 02 was ,there must have been a slight calibration change. I'd like to hear from someone with same truck who had a similar issue and what there solution was,thanks,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails rear suspension improvements on duramax?-redneck-deerhunting-029.jpg  
Old 07-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: rear suspension improvements on duramax?

I got the bags no over loads and still get the joust(damn concrete roads), was told a custom set of leafsprings, like a pack from dever with soften up the rears alot more springs than factory but thinner to flex with the ride, retains stock heigth as well. Also told to change out shocks to bilsteins or something comparable as well.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Artic, I have a 3/4 ton Burb and I added correctrack spacers on the rear wheels to have the front and rear tires in line w/ each other. I think this helped for some stability issues. Also, there is an after market helper leaf spring I have seen that goes over the axle that has a roller on it at each end that is only supposed to be active when weight or road conditions demand it, can't remember the brand. Hope this helps, Wrink
Old 07-12-2005, 05:56 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Airride hitch will make this much better. Joe Murray
Old 07-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Airbags will help, so will the air ride hitch.

Forget the spacers.

I think you are supposed to ron 80 psi in the back tires.

Wannabe
Old 07-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

For anything you ever wanted to know related to the DMax, go here --> www.dieselplace.com.