Notices

'03 F250 - 6.0 Powerstroke help

Old 09-29-2005, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: '03 F250 - 6.0 Powerstroke help

According to the carfax, the vehicle was purchased in early '03 and has been in for service 5 times 2 of which were "brake repairs". Doesn't say what the other stuff was. If you believe Carfax, the vehicle passed the lemon check, (no mfr buyback.) We'll see....
Old 09-29-2005, 06:56 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

Gino, it's 7:30 am and my detailers just showed up... as usual, on time. This thing gets great care. Washed every week, waxed every month, driven or not. I don't have any pic's, sorry, but i'm not that far from you, i'm just off the Palmetto and 58st exit. I live down south off Old Cutler Road. Your more than welcome to stop by. My office and cell numbers are below. I'm going to take everything off it tomorrow or Saturday... however, my new truck seems to be missing in transit... my wife found out about the new truck last night, her only response was, *what the f*** are you thinking*. I luv this thing so much, that a year ago I bought a new '04 gas GMC crew cab, just so I could just store this thing, and not put miles on it, unless I needed it for the boats or car trailer. The absolutely only reason i'm selling this Gino, is because I bought a bigger diesel pusher motorhome, and I really need a SRW 4wd, to be able to tow behind it easier. I'm actually worried that the new truck won't be as good as this one, to be frankly honest.

Jim
Old 09-30-2005, 05:59 PM
Registered

Well... I bought it. I gave them an ultimatum and they met, and exceeded it so since they lived up to their end of the bargain I felt I needed to as well. Took it down to the keys this today and it really rides nice. We'll see what happens....
Jim,
I appreciate the offer and trust me, I was going to call you last night @5 PM if they did not have the truck ready. I actually live right by you. The problem ended up being a leaking valve cover gasket. They replaced that, put on new brake pads, did an oil change and reflashed the computer.

I'll keep you guys posted but really appreciate everyone's help.

Last edited by frequentflyer; 09-30-2005 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:35 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

that's good news Flyer. I'm sure we'll see ya on the road at some point.
Jim

Last edited by BUIZILLA; 10-01-2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Frequent, I wouldn't worry about your purchase. I've worked at Ford dealerships for 22 years and I'm diesel certified. Most of the more serious problems occurred in the first 10k miles so at 60k you should be safe.

The '03 6.0's did have some problems, that can't be denied, but most of of the lengthy and repeat repairs were due to the mechanics unfamiliarity of a new product. One of the biggest concerns turned out to be a calibration issue. Ford tried to make the 6.0 as quiet as possible at idle, this led to a lot of stalling and cutting out. The new calibration made the engine a little noisier (3 db) but the idle is rock solid.

Ford has remedied the problems and the mechanics now know what to look for when something does go wrong.

Personally I won't chip any year 6.0 PSD because of potential problems with the pistons and rods. The pieces are plenty strong enough in stock applications, but Ford in an attempt to lighten them as much as possible for a smooth engine, they are marginal in non-stock form. I've seen a lot lot of bent rods and melted pistons in engines that ran a chip.These engines make plenty of power without a chip anyway.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:25 PM
VIP Member

I have a 2003 F-350 with the 6.0 Bought it used with 51K and now it has 62K For the record every diesel I have ever seen leaks a little oil. Just keep checking it every couple of weeks. Oil leaks are just part of owning a diesel especially a Ford. I have had no issues with mine and love it. I have also done some mods and the thing flys !!!! It is a crew cab 4X4 with 35" tires and I ran a 14.70 in the quarter last week!!!

Don't despair yet !!!

Good luck

Smitty

P.S. Of my 11K miles about 85% have been towing my rig which weighs in at around 14,000 lbs
Old 10-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by afratki
Frequent, I wouldn't worry about your purchase. I've worked at Ford dealerships for 22 years and I'm diesel certified. Most of the more serious problems occurred in the first 10k miles so at 60k you should be safe.

The '03 6.0's did have some problems, that can't be denied, but most of of the lengthy and repeat repairs were due to the mechanics unfamiliarity of a new product. One of the biggest concerns turned out to be a calibration issue. Ford tried to make the 6.0 as quiet as possible at idle, this led to a lot of stalling and cutting out. The new calibration made the engine a little noisier (3 db) but the idle is rock solid.

Ford has remedied the problems and the mechanics now know what to look for when something does go wrong.

Personally I won't chip any year 6.0 PSD because of potential problems with the pistons and rods. The pieces are plenty strong enough in stock applications, but Ford in an attempt to lighten them as much as possible for a smooth engine, they are marginal in non-stock form. I've seen a lot lot of bent rods and melted pistons in engines that ran a chip.These engines make plenty of power without a chip anyway.
Thanks...
I was actually just thinking about maybe a cat back stainless exhaust and an intake filter deal. Not sure about chipping it yet. Will the exhaust and filter void the 100k powertrain warranty ?
Old 10-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty
I have a 2003 F-350 with the 6.0 Bought it used with 51K and now it has 62K For the record every diesel I have ever seen leaks a little oil. Just keep checking it every couple of weeks. Oil leaks are just part of owning a diesel especially a Ford. I have had no issues with mine and love it. I have also done some mods and the thing flys !!!! It is a crew cab 4X4 with 35" tires and I ran a 14.70 in the quarter last week!!!

Don't despair yet !!!

Good luck

Smitty

P.S. Of my 11K miles about 85% have been towing my rig which weighs in at around 14,000 lbs
Wow.. Thanks... What kind of mods (if I may ask )

I'm also using it as my every day driver and my wife is now giving me (chit) about the price of diesel. I am convincing her that the 250 is acutally using about the same amount of fuel as the 150. (4.6L). It's averaging about 17.6 based on the overhead display. If I do mod it, it will be intake and exhaust first and then maybe a chip for those moments when flooring it, leaving a cloud of black smoke and spending 10 bucks in fuel in 10 seconds are worth every bit of it.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty

Don't despair yet !!!

Good luck

Smitty

Ha! Told ya! I knew you had it in ya. LOL

Something tells me your truck has a much better time in it. How did you launch? If I know you as well as I think I bet we could get that time down at least 4-5 tenths.

Buck
Old 10-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frequentflyer
Thanks...
I was actually just thinking about maybe a cat back stainless exhaust and an intake filter deal. Not sure about chipping it yet. Will the exhaust and filter void the 100k powertrain warranty ?
Warranty coverage on a vehicle with after market mods varies from dealer to dealer and with the type of engine concern. IMHO you should be safe with an exhaust and intake mods.

Andrew

Quick Reply: '03 F250 - 6.0 Powerstroke help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.