Notices

'05 6.0 PSD idiling issue

Old 12-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 6.0 PSD idiling issue

Thought this might be the place for any tips you guys might have. I have an '05 Excursion 6.0 PSD with the full Banks upgrade on it. Lately I have been having issues with the engine "sputtering" while idiling at a stop light. The tach drops down to a few hundred RPM's and it feels like the engine is going to stall. It doesnt seem to make a difference if its been driven hard or easy. We have the Six-Gun Tuner and it doesnt make a difference if it's on setting 1 or 4 (those are the normal ranges that we use it on.) The "check engine" light is coming on now too. We are taking it into Ford next week but are expecting the old "yeah, you upgraded the engine so everything is void now...." routine, but any tips or knowledge is appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-29-2005, 07:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: '05 6.0 PSD idiling issue

EGR valve
Old 12-30-2005, 05:41 AM
Registered

might just need a reflash , i believe they call that rolling idle not sure mine did that and the reflash cured it.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Registered

thanks for your help guys. it did turn out to be the EGR valve and Ford replaced it under warranty.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Registered

Why is it that Ford keeps having problems with there powerstrokes yet many people I see on here keep saying that the powerstroke is the only diesel for towing? I can tow all day with a 12,000 trailer on my 05' DMax and have had CHevy's all my life. No problems. I choose reliabilty over brand.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Registered

One of the reasons people have trouble with there truck is that it's not the truck it's the operator.I witness everyday a local cement contactor using his 2005 f-350 sd and hauling with a fifth wheel a bull dozer that weigh combine weight (trailer and dozer) 18300 poundwhen the truck is rated for 15000 at best and then cry to ford that they have a piece of chit. Ford also has a very stout frame and the customer knows that so it gets abused all to $ell. My personal vehicle is chevy truck my first ever and it $8,137.87 in warranty dollars spent and has had every bit of scheduled chevy maintanence done to it. Own another cevy truck NO WAY.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Registered

I would own a doge truck before I would consider another chevy .
Old 01-04-2006, 11:54 PM
Registered

All I can tell you is that all of my friends who own the same truck I do, between 2003-2005 2500HD Dmax tow 10-12k trailers on 350 mile trips up and down grades and never a problem. Now abuse is one thing, none of my friends abuse their trucks, neither do I. Regardless, I see post after post of people picking up Fords from the dealership and two weeks later they have an oil leak, EGR problem, ECM problem, and breaking down for all sorts of reasons. Name the last post somebody told you about anything but body creeking from a Chevy?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:42 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FROGMAN524
All I can tell you is that all of my friends who own the same truck I do, between 2003-2005 2500HD Dmax tow 10-12k trailers on 350 mile trips up and down grades and never a problem. Now abuse is one thing, none of my friends abuse their trucks, neither do I. Regardless, I see post after post of people picking up Fords from the dealership and two weeks later they have an oil leak, EGR problem, ECM problem, and breaking down for all sorts of reasons. Name the last post somebody told you about anything but body creeking from a Chevy?
how about blown allisons? injectors on duramax's? they all have issues... the reason you see more posts about fords, more people own them....
Old 01-05-2006, 04:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FROGMAN524
Why is it that Ford keeps having problems with there powerstrokes yet many people I see on here keep saying that the powerstroke is the only diesel for towing? I can tow all day with a 12,000 trailer on my 05' DMax and have had CHevy's all my life. No problems. I choose reliabilty over brand.
I have all 3, new one for the business. They all have their + and -, for a working and towing, the Ford by far is best suited in this area, best suspension. I pull on a weekly basis 10k-12k pounds 150 shts of sht rock all three trucks the same 2500's, all diesels, same 3 trailers, running down the highway at the same time, the Ford pulls the best, even though the hp/tq is lower than the Chevy. Im a GM man, but when it comes to working and pulling the Ford wins hands down. Even the Dodge does a great job, has some fit and finish issues, and when over taxed like 16-18k pounds we just use the Ford. Here is an example, when running down the highway, when traffic is low, we use all 3 lanes, look at each other, nod and accelaerate from 55-70, Ford, than Dodge and Chevy back and forth. Now when unloaded the Chevy is the quickest to 60 by a truck length, good luck, they all eventually break, I use to be brand loyal, I just buy what works, my partner just ordered another GM and I just ordered 2 more Fords to replace the 6 vehicle we lost during Katrina.

Quick Reply: '05 6.0 PSD idiling issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.