Notices

BIG lifts ???

Old 02-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG lifts ???

Anyone towed with a custom Big lift on their trucks? My F350 is lifted 8 " and runs on 37's and drives and towes fine. I am thinking of going with some custom spring mounts, custom steering with a set of 44's.This would give me a lift of 12.5". Anyone done this? And how did it handle? Dave
Attached Thumbnails BIG lifts ???-f-350-sarasota-2005.jpg  
Old 02-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Default Re: BIG lifts ???

I have about 10 to 12 inches of lift on my Excursion with 40's and it tows just fine. Buying tires every 10 to 15k miles sucks though. The bigger and more aggresive they are the faster they wear out. I wish I had a set of BFG a/t's on it. 37 would be the max height I would go next time so I could put a decent a/t tire on it.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Registered

They have some nice 40's out there..FunC's. Nitto's, etc.. that are not that aggressive. I am looking at the Fun C 18.5/44/16.5's. I had a set on a GMC Jimmy years ago with 21" of lift and they were great. Never towed with it tho. How did you get 10-12 on your excusion? Dave
Old 02-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Registered

Re: BIG lifts ???

I have a F250 Powerstroke w/6" all spring lift and 35 BFG a/t. No problems towing or tire wear. It has approx. 20k on the truck and about half of that was towing. Tires are holding-up well with about 18k on them and more than half the tread remaining.

Stay away from shackle or soft springs... too much travel or compression in suspension. Will effect overall drive and allow the differential to shift while applying a load, prematurely destroying universal joints.

Also keep in mind most large tires are not D class and are not designed for heavy trucks and/or towing. Too much lift can and will open a Pandora's box of new trivia to towing.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Registered

I would stay with 37" because of the load range. I'm running 37 BFGOODRICH mud terrain I've put @ 20k miles on them and they have only wore out a little over a 1/4. last week put 3400LBS of tile in it from Santa Clarita to Havasu ,it saged a bit but the tires worked fine, also they are verry quiet.
The truck came with Michelin Scorpions and the 37"s can carry almost 200 LBS more each.
Also the bigger the tire the more the bounse , they also tend to give you feeling if body roll as they flex as you turn, but they look awsome!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with 46" michelins instead of 44's load range j
Old 02-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

445/65/22.5 michelins ride better than any tire made
Attached Thumbnails BIG lifts ???-dsc_0008.jpg  
Old 02-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Registered

rbr - That's bad azz !!! Your truck? How much lift? More info? Thanks, Dave
Old 02-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Registered

Second that, rbr! Awesome truck.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

National spring 12 leaf packs in the front, 10 leaf packs in the rear. Bilstien reservoir shocks in the front, Bilstein's in the back. Big pitman arm, steering linkage, drop bracket for the track bar with new mount on axle, extensions for the sway bars, new drive shaft front (no cv joint anymore but new u-joints with much more travel) and rear shaft, spacer for tranny for correct pinion angle and that's the whole lift. Any more than lift and you really should have crossover steering. A buddy one mine did 14 inches with a similar set-up as I have but he had all custom drop drop brackets for his springs mounts made front and rear, with the crossover steering, it was sick.............
I've run Swampers, Truxus, Swamper Thornbirds, and Parnelli Jones. You'll be lucky to get more than 15 k out of any 44 or 40" tire unless its a semi truck tire like the ones posted above. Super wides are cool as hell and would probably outlast the truck but I like the look of more aggressive tires. I think the Nittos will wear out on you too, I know the Cepeks will wear super fast, I ran those on my last truck. The only tire I've ever had last longer than I wanted them to is a BFG a/t, I think those and the Goodyear Wranglers are the only tires that last long. BTW, the Procomp mud tires are good for about 10k too, my bus. partner has a set and after 7k miles they are just about junk. I rotate every oil change BTW and so does he.

Quick Reply: BIG lifts ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.