Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Converting a Ford Excursion to a Dually >

Converting a Ford Excursion to a Dually

Notices

Converting a Ford Excursion to a Dually

Old 02-14-2006, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Converting a Ford Excursion to a Dually

Thinking of a larger boat and it will require a dually to be safe and legal. The wife really likes the Exc and giving it up to a Crew cab is out of the question. So I would like to know the following if / is possible:
1- Would this even be feasible?

2- What would the cost be (approx)?

3- Can one take a 2005 Exc with a 6.0 PS install a Dually rear end and mod the body?

Any and all comments are appreciated.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:10 AM
Registered

Default Re: Converting a Ford Excursion to a Dually

Itilldo:

Try these sites:

http://www.southwestwheel.com/

http://www.arrowcraft.com/
Old 02-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

I owned a Suburban that was made into a dually. It started as a 3/4 ton big block truck. They put new spindles in the front, and changed out the rear axle. The rear fenders were fiberglass, and a small piece of the fender was on the door. It was a cool truck, lowered and bagged too. I wish I still had it. I bought it from the owner of one fo the GMC dealerships. It had 4 buckets inside with a bench in the back, like the Escalades do now. Whited out everywhere and billet everything. Any how I thought the conversion was close to ten grand. That includes Weld wheels and tires too.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Registered

BADKACHINA,

Sounds like it was really nice but with all of the work that you had done does that make the vehicale legal as far as towing capacity?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Registered

Itldo,
To meet the technical aspects of the law(at least in Fl) you would have to have the vehicle recertified as to gvr and towing capacity, probably not real feasable,,,the job itself wouldnt be that hard, find a wrecked dually and swap the spindles/springs/rearend/tires/rims/steering linkage and ad the rear fenders. But should you ever have a wreck, the insurance co. can claim that the vehicle wasn't rated to tow that much weight..Then you have a legal issue to deal with.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have looked into doing it in great detail and the most difficult part would be the rear fenders. You would need to make them 2 pieces and approx. 18 inches would remain on the door when opened and would cover the rear door handle. Remote latches would cure the door handle issue but you would also the have to relocate the fuel fill as well. There are a set of flare already made by f650pickup.com on there extreme suv but I couldn't get a reply from them if they would sell them or not.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Originally Posted by itilldo
BADKACHINA,

Sounds like it was really nice but with all of the work that you had done does that make the vehicale legal as far as towing capacity?

The Sub was already a 3/4 ton truck, I wouldn't say that it actually had a higher rating than stock. The dually part is really just for looks.

The doors would have a piece of the fender like mentioned above, the space where the handle is would have to be notched out. Yes you would have to put the fuel fill in the back side of the fender as well. I wish I had picks of it but I my hard drive crashed a couple of years ago with about 1000 picks and no back up.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:59 AM
Registered

I have got some pics of a Excursion dually at home where they notched the fender for the door handle and the gas fill and didn't turn out that great.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rbr2328
I have got some pics of a Excursion dually at home where they notched the fender for the door handle and the gas fill and didn't turn out that great.
I have seen that one and never under stood why they notched for the fuel fill. I have a short bed dually and the fuel fill is in the fender. I would think that the pieces could be bought to do this on the dually conversion.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Registered

pics
Attached Thumbnails Converting a Ford Excursion to a Dually-frontside.jpg   Converting a Ford Excursion to a Dually-rearside.jpg   Converting a Ford Excursion to a Dually-side.jpg  

Quick Reply: Converting a Ford Excursion to a Dually

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.