Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Who uses Weight Distribution Hitch Setup? >

Who uses Weight Distribution Hitch Setup?

Notices

Who uses Weight Distribution Hitch Setup?

Old 02-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who uses Weight Distribution Hitch Setup?

I'm looking at buying a Cafe Racer/Top Gun. I will keep it on the trailer. I have a 2500HD Dmax, I know I need a Class 5 hitch, but is it possible to also use a weight distributing setup with a boat trailer? It looks like all the trailers don't have the proper A- Arm to make this setup possible? I know they make an "Tongue Pole Adaptor" but are they available in a heavy duty setup capable of handling approx 15,000 Lbs.? Help!

Thanks,

M
Old 02-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: Who uses Weight Distribution Hitch Setup?

Yes.

Page 1:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=78812

Page 2:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...2&page=2&pp=30

Unless you are looking at a heavy steel trailer, a TG will not be approaching 15K pounds. I have a 37' Active Thunder; total weight 12,500 pounds with fuel. The pictures in the linked threads tell a lot.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Registered

Thanks Sydways! One other thing I'm trying to understand. Reese's Class 5 hitch is a 2.5" receiver and is rated at 12,000 lbs weight carrying and 14,000 weight distributing, There strongest weight distributing hitch is 1,700 max tongue weight, 17,000 max trailer weight, but in this instance you are limited to the 14k of the receiver (the weakest point, assuming stronger or equal ball, shank). HOWEVER, Putnam's XCR is a 2" reciever and is rated at 15,000 weight carrying and 16,000 weight distributing!!! It's only a 2 inch? Now because it's a 2" Reese's 1,700 weight distributing hitch can't be used because it needs a 2.5" receiver! So even though you have to use the strongeset availabe 2" weight distributing setup which is 12,000lbs as far as I can find? I'm very confused can someone please clear this up for me or affirm what I've find and advise me on the best route to go from here?

Thanks,

M
Old 02-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

You "should" be able to buy a slide in mount that fits a 2.5" Reese receiver that you can bolt a weight distributing ball mount to.

Personally, I think the Putnam XDR 2" receiver is adequate. The Reese Titan-V 2.5" is gondola huge, but you can't have too much hitch. Perhaps go for a 2.5" Reese Titan-V reciever, and purchase a sleeve adapter to slide a 2" ball mount into it.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Registered

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying: The strongest hitch on the market is a 2" and the strongest weight distributing setup is made for a 2.5", thus they can be interchanged as a sleeve wouldn't do anything here. Another way of saying this is if you buy the strongest hitch you can't use the strongest weight distribution setup and vice versa.

If i get the Putnam 2" hitch with weight ratings of 15k /16k and then go with the strongest WD available for it at 12k/14k what will happen when I unhook the WD to go down the ramp/put the boat in the water/pull it out? Will I put myself in any serious risk of breaking the shank as it will then only have a 12k capacity?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Ah, that clears things up a bit.

I always back mine into the yard/garage without the WD bars installed, as well as up and down the launch ramp. That shank/ball mount is rated to cover anything you are going to do at the ramp. Its rated to carry any of the weight placed on it when in WD 'mode' with the bars installed going over highway bumps and such at speed; imagine the forces involved.

You will be fine with the bars removed for trailer maneuvering.

P.S.

The Titan-V 2.5" is built MUCH more stout than the Putnam XDR. I won't go on record as saying its underrated, but if you can bring up side-by-side pictures, judge for yourself. Its a behemoth.

Be aware, the Putnam XDR will tuck CLOSER to your bumper on your truck than factory. Mine is about 1 inch closer (higher). The Reese Titan-V hitch is a tad farther (lower) from your bumper, but I am not sure by how much.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 02-27-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:28 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you might want to take a look at the "curt" hitches replaced the junk hitch on my Ford with a curt and have good luck...BZ
Old 03-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Registered

Be Careful With The Wd Hitches Because They Will Not Allow Surge Brakes To Activate If This Is Your Brake Set-up. My Boat Is 11k Dry And Aluminum Tri-axle Trailer And It Towed Perfect With My 2500 Hd Duramax And Now Am Towing It With 2500 Suburban. I Used The Class V Hitch And The 2 1/2 Inch Receiver. No Squat Or Other Problems.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by hammer01
Be Careful With The Wd Hitches Because They Will Not Allow Surge Brakes To Activate If This Is Your Brake Set-up. My Boat Is 11k Dry And Aluminum Tri-axle Trailer And It Towed Perfect With My 2500 Hd Duramax And Now Am Towing It With 2500 Suburban. I Used The Class V Hitch And The 2 1/2 Inch Receiver. No Squat Or Other Problems.
Wrong info, again.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Registered

Sydwayz,

Where did you buy your pole tongue adaptor? What brand is it? What are it's dimensions? Did you have any problem bolting it to your pole tongue? I noticed you mentioned something about having to notch one of the I beams but I wasn't sure if that was for the pole tongue adaptor or for the additional jackstand you added? I just bought a boat and trailer and have to drive up to get. Being that it's 1500 miles away I want to be prepared for everything when I get there.

Thanks!
M

Quick Reply: Who uses Weight Distribution Hitch Setup?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.