Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Trailer Ball installation, torque 400 ft lbs?? >

Trailer Ball installation, torque 400 ft lbs??

Notices

Trailer Ball installation, torque 400 ft lbs??

Old 03-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Trailer Ball installation, torque 400 ft lbs??

Originally Posted by miamioffshore
I have a weight distributing trailer hitch i'm installing. To put on the trailer ball the mounting nut needs 400 ft. lbs of torque. Aside from that I can't get the ball to stop spinning when I try to crank down on the nut. Thus I can't get it any tighter as the ball spins on top. I'm thinking I need a very powerful impact wrench to get this thing started (and get 400 ft. lbs of torque) Any suggestions or am I on the right track? Also any suggestions on who would have an impact wrench that powerful? I stopped by a couple automotive shops but they didn't have anything near that?

Thanks,

M
Hey Miami, have you pulled your boat with that yet? I just wanted to hear another opinion... I just got back mine from having hitch and equalizer bars put on, similar to the ones on campers...man.. does it ever pull good. Smooth ride and not "jolty", much softer ride. How much are you going to have invested in that system. I paid $400 for mine and they set it all up and made the necessary adjustments.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Registered

Haven't yet, picking it up on Saturday. I'll let you know. I went with a Blue Ox 1500 tongue weight, 15000 weight carrying, its about 1000 more than I needed, but I like it that way. I can tell you from putting it together it is seriously heavy duty, the shank+trunnion+spring arms weigh a total of 110lbs! , and once again I like it that way. The blue ox also has sway control adjustment built in to the spring arms. I will post a full report on the results when I return.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can, weld the nut on, then it will never lossen or get stolen. I did that after some schmuk stole the ball (not my hitch) off my truck.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by miamioffshore
It's a brand new, everything, the whole setup.

Here's what I ended up doing. Put a towel over the ball so as not to scratch it, clamp with vise grips, turned nut to v. grips hit the shank so it was holding itself in place, cranked on it til i couldn't get it any tighter, then put a 4 foot long breaker bar over my 3/4 socket wrench, cranked on it til i couldn't move it even with the breaker bar, then a friend helped me and we turned it another full revolution.
You're there.

The weld isn't a bad idea. I'd rather throw hitches away every month than have another come off.

I also use a grade 8 bolt instead of a receiver pin and have replaced all the hitch mount hardware with G8's. Never use a thread lube, amti-seize or locking compound on a G8 bolt. Lockwashers and torque wrenches. Welds are good too.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
If you can, weld the nut on, then it will never lossen or get stolen. I did that after some schmuk stole the ball (not my hitch) off my truck.
Friggin' loser, stealing a ball!
Old 03-24-2006, 06:05 PM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

miami,

I assume you bought the Cafe, what are you pulling it with?
Old 03-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cherrycobalt262
Friggin' loser, stealing a ball!
After I had it welded, it never got stolen, came losse, or came off. I had alot of boats on that ball hitch.

Put some lubricant/grease on the ball--this will make sure that the trailer and ball hitch don't rub too much to loosen the nut.

Last edited by Semper Fi; 03-24-2006 at 09:51 PM.