Notices

Towing capacity question??????

Old 04-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Towing capacity question??????

Originally Posted by Byrdman
Ok....my language has changed.....YOU are a total idiot....this is the problem with this place....your morons come on here and act like it is OK to do this....and there will be no issues....and to state the manufactures have everything under rated...pleeeeze it is the exact oppisite!...pleeeeze...you were a tech....yea ok!
YES!!
I knew it was coming after that comment.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my 38 Fountain, the Myco trailer is the steel one, tripple wheels with disc brakes triggered by surge. I keep hearing how these newer trailers tow so well. Looks like it will stop a train. My tow needs will be limited to 12 or less tripps a year. Most trips are under 5 miles with a few being 10 -15 miles. All local driving, 45 mph or less. The thought of driving an F350 diesel all year long for these needs seems over the top. I would hire someone to do it, but it's not convient. Poker runs and fun runs start and stop when they do. I don't want to be on someone else's schedule. Anyway, why doesn't a Tahoe which does 8500lbs or an F150 which does 9500 lbs work? I am not trying to be dense, I understand if I get into an accident I am at risk and I understand it's hard on the truck. I guess I am asking how hard is hard? Is the 4x4 going to blow pulling it up the ramp? Is it going to come around on me at 45 mph? The guy at the chevy and ford dealer thought I could get away with less. Thoughts????
Old 04-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Registered

Key words,,,, they think you could get away w/ less.. Those tow ratings you mention are under ALL the ideal conditions,,, correct hitch ( W.D), correct brakes ( trailer ), correct gearing ( truck) a f-150 w/ 3.55 gears and the factory class 3 hitch aint gonna do it...

I dont care what Ford says about the towing capacity of a F-150, I have one w/ a 5.4 and tow right around 7K it does o.k. struggles a bit on hills,,, I wouldn't ever consider towing anything heavier than what I got, nevermind something that weighs 2 or 3 k more... not even with a w.d. setup... it's just really foolish.................. And all that B.S. about taking it easy, going slow and short distances are just that B.S.

Last edited by Chris288; 04-05-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Registered

I don't think it is necessary to come on here and call someone a complete idiot,a moron or whatever.The guy gave his opinion and that is what it is.You can take his advice or you don't ,that is the purpose of the board.Opinions are like *******s we've all got them,but nobody knows everything.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Chris288
Key words,,,, they think you could get away w/ less.. Those tow ratings you mention are under ALL the ideal conditions,,, correct hitch ( W.D), correct brakes ( trailer ), correct gearing ( truck) a f-150 w/ 3.55 gears and the factory class 3 hitch aint gonna do it...

I dont care what Ford says about the towing capacity of a F-150, I have one w/ a 5.4 and tow right around 7K it does o.k. struggles a bit on hills,,, I wouldn't ever consider towing anything heavier than what I got, nevermind something that weighs 2 or 3 k more... not even with a w.d. setup... it's just really foolish.................. And all that B.S. about taking it easy, going slow and short distances are just that B.S.
I appreciate the opinion. It's hard for me to ever consider something less. I always jump to the thing that is more than up to the task. So I understand your points. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by klaw
well is Chris Sunkin going to comment on this?
Considering if you have fuel in the boat and on a steel trailer besides being way over the truck capacity I would be suspect of the hitch.
Yeah, I'm here.

You must be fuc&ing $hitting me- has it even been a week?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by JUKED YOU
see if one of your friends has an eldorado or a cherokee you can borrow.

As long as you're really careful and not going too far...
Old 04-05-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by nolimits
I just upgraded to a 38 Fountain with a Myco Trailer (12,500 with fuel ). Had a 29 and used a Land Rover to pull it about. The Land Rover is 1 year into a 3 year lease. Now I got to "do something" else. The wife uses the Land Rover so it's got a use. Drove an F350 Diesel and have been looking at 2500 GM's. Seems it would be a real pain as a full time vehicle. You guys got any idea's?? 2007 Avalanch maybe??
A smaller boat or a dock.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

If you do it you better baby it because most these f-150's have 4r70w transmissions and 355 gears. Alot of the transmission jobs I do are on vehicles like this that have been fine for 60 or 80 thousand miles. A guy decides to haul a bobcat on a new holland trailer once (10 or 12 thousand pounds) and trans goes up in smoke 500 miles later. I wouldn't do it,these new 1/2 tons don't seem to have "extra" capacity beyond there ratings like they did years ago. I had to tow my Baja 272 (about 7500lbs with trailer and fuel) with my buddies 01 1/2 ton silverado a few years ago for 300 miles and it felt like it was killing it,it spent as much time in 2nd gear as it did in 3rd at 70 mph. The fords seem the same with 3.55 gears,Smitty
Old 04-05-2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Byrdman
Ok....my language has changed.....YOU are a total idiot....this is the problem with this place....your morons come on here and act like it is OK to do this....and there will be no issues....and to state the manufactures have everything under rated...pleeeeze it is the exact oppisite!...pleeeeze...you were a tech....yea ok!
You're my kind of guy.

My advice to everyone who tows over-limit- please, for the sake of all humanity, take all your offspring with you when you do it. With any luck, you'll help remove this defective strain from the gene pool when the bow of your oversized monster boat pierces the cab of the K-car you're towing it with. To enjoy the full effect, please make sure to top off all your tanks- boat and tow vehicle.

Quick Reply: Towing capacity question??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.