Notices

"Tekonsa" "Voyager XP"

Old 04-08-2006, 11:43 AM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default "Tekonsa" "Voyager XP"

I bought my truck used and the brake controller was already installed. It's an 2001 F-350. I have never had a trailer with anything other that surge brakes, I and thinking of converting my drum brake myco to disks with elect. over hydro. Here is the question on the brake box in the truck it has 2 knobs on either side one says "Level" and the other says "Gain" all of the other controllers I have seen just have a number??? Does anybody know how to work this thing?? is it any good or should I just replace it with a new one???? Please let me know.....BZ
Old 04-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: "Tekonsa" "Voyager XP"

Take a look at this. http://www.tekonsha.com/instructions...DF%20RevJ2.pdf

This is the owner's manual for that unit. It's going to be easier for you to read that than have me explain it to you.

PS...You getting ready to see why I hate those things so much. I have to set up about five of those a week for my customers. After a couple of times most people just have me yank them for a good digitial unit.

Buck
Old 04-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Zubik
I bought my truck used and the brake controller was already installed. It's an 2001 F-350. I have never had a trailer with anything other that surge brakes, I and thinking of converting my drum brake myco to disks with elect. over hydro. Here is the question on the brake box in the truck it has 2 knobs on either side one says "Level" and the other says "Gain" all of the other controllers I have seen just have a number??? Does anybody know how to work this thing?? is it any good or should I just replace it with a new one???? Please let me know.....BZ
The manufacturer of your new electric/hydraulic brake system will have a specific brake controller that they recommend, I use a Drawtite activator II and it works well
Old 04-09-2006, 07:48 AM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

so it sounds like this is a "cheep" unit???? after reading all of that it seems like a lot of work?????
Old 04-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bob Zubik
so it sounds like this is a "cheep" unit???? after reading all of that it seems like a lot of work?????
Bob, believe it or not, the Tekonsha is usually an upper priced unit compared to other things available. I just think there's easier ways to set up a brake controller. The theory behind how it works is actually pretty good. It's just a bear to keep tuned correctly. Not so with other units.

I too prefer the Drawtite like mentioned above. That is the most popular unit in my store. I might add, we do a lot of brake controllers too.

Buck
Old 04-10-2006, 07:34 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, the XP is a good unit. There is probably really nothing better out there.
And, the best part is that it works with the Brake Rite unit on a Myco elect/hydro.

FYI- The in dash unit on the new Ford trucks doesn't work with all the Brake Rite units.
The XP does.
Make sure your electrical connections are good, and that you have a 40+ amp fuse in the circuit.
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 04-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Registered

i put the voyager in my 04.5 2500 hd and this weekend i hooked a trailer to it for the first time and i am getting the green light but when you put on brakes the light goes out , i think it is suypposed to change colors to red but mine is going out any ideas also if i move the slide it will change colors and i could feel the braks on the trailer
Old 04-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mikes280
i put the voyager in my 04.5 2500 hd and this weekend i hooked a trailer to it for the first time and i am getting the green light but when you put on brakes the light goes out , i think it is suypposed to change colors to red but mine is going out any ideas also if i move the slide it will change colors and i could feel the braks on the trailer
Take a look at the link I put up in my first reply Mike. If that doesn't help I can link you to a trouble shooting page for that unit too.

Let me know...

Buck
Old 04-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by buck183
Take a look at the link I put up in my first reply Mike. If that doesn't help I can link you to a trouble shooting page for that unit too.

Let me know...

Buck
thanks figured it out we just did not have the level set right reset everything and it works great now. good thing cause i have to pull about 14000 lbs in the am tomorrow,i will let you know how well it works. hay buck what is the hot turner for a lly now days that won't kill the trans
Old 04-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mikes280
thanks figured it out we just did not have the level set right reset everything and it works great now. good thing cause i have to pull about 14000 lbs in the am tomorrow,i will let you know how well it works. hay buck what is the hot turner for a lly now days that won't kill the trans

For a tuner I would either go w/ the SCT or Triple Dog. If you wanted in cab adjustability you might want to add the Outlook monitor to the Triple Dog or just go Edge w/ Attitude. I know the Edge isn't a real popular unit when shifting is mentioned though.

Buck

Quick Reply: "Tekonsa" "Voyager XP"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.