Notices

Chips & Warranty Issues

Old 04-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chips & Warranty Issues

I have a 2004 6.0 ford diesel. My dealer says it will void my warranty if I put a chip in. Is this true?
Old 04-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Chips & Warranty Issues

Yes, I do work for Ford and one of the things they are cracking down on is in-warranty modified vehicles. They will send someone out to inspect the vehicle in the event of a major failure(engine, trans, diff) and if it has aftermarket engine/susp/etc. mods they will deny the claim.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Registered

they really crack down on K-N or other aftermarket air cleaners also
Old 04-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K&N filters booger up MAF sensors on gas motors when overoiled-everyone is hot on those.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Registered

Federal Warranty Laws

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:
“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name....” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

Basicaly a mfgr can not "void your warranty" because you installed a k&n intake or anything else unless they offer you the accessory at no charge. They can deny claims if the accessory is the cause of the failure. I see a lot of service writers say" don't put that remote start in your car , It'll void the warranty" . Not true. Duking the service writer always helps and they seem to be more helpful pushing through a questionable claim.

Last edited by hunster; 04-09-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by hunster
Federal Warranty Laws

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:
“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name....” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

Basicaly a mfgr can not "void your warranty" because you installed a k&n intake or anything else unless they offer you the accessory at no charge. They can deny claims if the accessory is the cause of the failure. I see a lot of service writers say" don't put that remote start in your car , It'll void the warranty" . Not true. Duking the service writer always helps and they seem to be more helpful pushing through a questionable claim.
The Magnus-Moss act is meant for lubricants,filters etc. Power adding mods are not oem equivilant parts.Yes,Magnus-Moss says the oem has to prove the aftermarket part specifically caused the failure or problem BUT you will spend THOUSANDS to fight ford and probably lose when it comes to mods. The chip companys absolve them selves from any responsibility from oem warranty claims or damage to your drivetrain. If you want to play with your trucks power level just be ready to fix it out of your pocket if they can prove it,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 04-09-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by buck183
I say it depends on the dealer and service dept.

I've seen stuff warrantied by one dealer that I know for a fact another dealer won't touch. They will warranty this stuff. I've seen it happen numerous times.

Buck
Ford took it in the shorts with 10,000 plus 6.0 liter motor claims with a cost exceeding 500 million so far on the 03/04's. They have gotten very aggressive with denying warranty coverage. There was a very detailed thread a year ago about a guy who sued ford and LOST. Basically they have a program (iI think its called the OASIS program ). A truck owner took his truck to the dealer with his aftermarket controller still on it for a piston noise/head gasket problem thinking they would replace his motor for free. They looked at it and the regional ford zone rep happened to be there,he took one look at it and saw the programmer installed,they immediately VOIDED any other warranty whatsoever on the vehicle by entering his vin number into the system along with basically a blacklisting note. He sued Ford and Ford fought with a team of lawyers to keep his warranty voided,Ford won. Once a Ford truck is noted under this "program" there is Zero,Zip warranty left whatsoever. Ford feels their problems with the 6.0 are from modifications. under no circumstances should you ever set foot in a dealer with a programmer installed on your truck or any aftermarket air cleaner. Yes,I have heard of dealers offering chips installed right at the dealer,if you go this route you better take it exsclusivly to them,Smitty
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff182234.htm

Last edited by articfriends; 04-09-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Heres another K/N link,I will find the thread on the warranty denial program too,Smitty
http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...5&o=31&fpart=1
Old 04-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here's the way I look at it. Ford has had problems and they know it. For instance....take a look at the head bolt problem. Very well known issue. Now put a lift kit on the truck and blame the head bolt issue on that. I ain't buying it.

My point? To say flat out on this forum that Ford will not warranty anything at all end of story is a pretty strong statement IMO. They will warranty stuff. They have too. If they have a previous history of issues they can't go pointing fingers at the rest of the world for blame.

I always tell a customer the same thing whenever I get answered "the question". Communicate with your service dept. If they are against I would steer clear of it. If they are open minded then proceed with caution.

I know for a fact that my local dealer will take care of it. I just built an 06 F250 King Ranch for a guy. He spent mucho $$$ with me on this thing. Lift, tires, wheels, Triple Dog w/ Outlook monitor, Exhaust, and so on. If he has a problem they WILL take care of him. Why you ask? Because he buys about ten of these things a year from them. I can assure it would be taken care of under the right circumstances with the right dealer.

As for the lawsuit story. I truly think that he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

As for the K&N story. Get on the bandwagon. That has been going around for years. All the motorcycle guys get that story stirred up every now and then too. Yet there are millions of them on the road with no problems. I have run them for almost twenty years on all of my ATVs, Motorcycles, and PWC. I race hard and put them up wet. If there was an issue I have feeling I would have seen a problem by now.

As with anything mechanical. Take care of it. Use it properly. Know the products and how to use them. Maintain it. It will take care of you.

Buck
If your ford truck gets blacklisted at any dealer ship under the oasis program their is no Ford dealer in the USA that can honor your drivetrain warranty unless they choose to buy the parts and eat the labor out of there pocket or commit fraud and assign your warranty claim to a different vehicles vin number. As far as "the K&N story",Yes,K&N makes a good product but,No,on a Ford diesel people have had numerous problems,read the attached link,Smitty
http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...5&o=31&fpart=1

Last edited by articfriends; 04-09-2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the way I look at it. Ford has had problems and they know it. For instance....take a look at the head bolt problem. Very well known issue. Now put a lift kit on the truck and blame the head bolt issue on that. I ain't buying it.

Buck
You are correct- Ford cannot deny you warranty coverage for one issue even if you had an issue in another area- as in your head bolt/lift kit scenario. They may attempt to deny you coverage however any attorney who could spell his own name correctly would take your bad-faith claim on contingency in a heartbeat.

Ford does have every right to deny you warranty coverage if you make modifications to the engine which lead to its damage. Magnuson-Moss addresses like kind and quality aftermarket replacement parts- not high-performance modifications. It says you can use an aftermarket water pump instead of Ford's. It doesn't say you can bolt a blower onto your Honda motor and expect Honda to warranty your engine internals or driveline. If your radio conks, Honda, is still on the hook.

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 04-10-2006 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Chips & Warranty Issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.