Notices

Who tows 18,000 lbs? With what?

Old 06-07-2006, 01:39 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Who tows 18,000 lbs? With what?

I want to tow my boat out of state. I have a one ton dually for around town. I just don't feel comfortable with it at hwy speeds. I am considering a used Kodiak or single axle Freightliner. Just wondering what other people are using for their heavier boats.

Steve H
Old 06-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Who tows 18,000 lbs? With what?

A freind pulls his 51 OL with a F350 dually crew cab and fifth wheel trailer.
Hee goes to Florida,Midwest and Rhode Island.

I don't bame you for wanting a bigger truck,I'm a firm believer that bigger is always better.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Registered

I agree bigger is better but I put safety first.

Whatever you decide make sure it has air ride suspension, air ride seats and I would suggest an air cab as well. I've driven a lot of different trucks used for towing and having the air ride cab makes a lot of difference. If it is set up right it reduces fatigue and I'm ready to go once I arrive at my destination.

The other thing to think about is square footage in the interior area. If you are traveling long distances (more than an hour or two) it is nice to have entertainment and room to stretch out in addition to towing capacity. It seems like I always have 4 - 6 people with me and that my F-350 crew cab pickup was crowded.

Other things to consider are combined gross weight (truck and trailer) and if you want to Carry water and or fuel with you for the boat. If you build or modify a truck be sure to put lots of lights on the back so you can load the truck and boat at night.

I started out with a vision similar to yours but once the brainstorming was done for the design I ended up with the dual axle Freightliner in the classifieds for sale and have loved it.

Feel free to contact me with questions. I enjoy discussing trucks as much as boats and have owned several different styles of trucks similar to the one you are asking about.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:05 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
A freind pulls his 51 OL with a F350 dually crew cab and fifth wheel trailer.
Hee goes to Florida,Midwest and Rhode Island.

I don't bame you for wanting a bigger truck,I'm a firm believer that bigger is always better.
Don't have a fifth wheel trailer, wish I did. I think my one ton would handle the weight O.K. with one of those.

High desert.

Thanks for the reply

I hear what you are saying. I hate spending big money on somthing that would get used two or three times a year at most. I would use it to haul the boat to another area for the season and then back fot the winter. It's a big hassle getting this thing out of the water, then permits, blah, blah, blah. Have paid to have it hauled, but getting tired of that. I have noticed the small frieghtliners are pretty inexpensive for a used one diesel power.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 06-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Registered

will make a great deal on my top kick not using it anymore. will pull anything.. look in classifieds...
Attached Thumbnails Who tows 18,000 lbs? With what?-clifford-2-003.jpg   Who tows 18,000 lbs? With what?-clifford-2-001.jpg  
Old 06-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with being as safe as possible. We are using a 330 Peterbilt from Texas Trucks (www.lonestarhaulers.com) to tow our 45' Apache. The boat and trailer weigh in around 21K pounds without the fresh water tanks on the trailer filled. This truck has an air suspension, air ride cab and air ride seats. There are no more white knuckles holding the wheel going down the road. With a truck this size you can simply set the cruise control and sit back and relax while the people in the back watch a movie or TV. You really don't feel worn out when you get somewhere after getting out of this thing.

I considered a toterhome, but didn't want the longer wheelbase that came with it. This truck does have a sofa in the back that folds flat to a bed so you can stop and sleep for a bit if you want. All four of the seats (front and middle) recline flat as well. There is plenty of room for people and lots of storage room under the truck for your luggage, coolers, gear, etc...

If you look around long enough you can find great deals on trucks like this. I bought this truck as a 2 year old dealer demo with well under 10K miles on it. Check around and do your homework and you can find one for the same or nearly the same money that you would spend on a new pickup. Believe me, it is well worth it. The first time that you have to pull off a panic stop from highway speeds, you will be glad that you went with a bigger truck!

Oh yea, there is also nothing that says you can't drive the truck around town every now and then. You should see the looks you get at the grocery store!
Attached Thumbnails Who tows 18,000 lbs? With what?-1.jpg   Who tows 18,000 lbs? With what?-2.jpg   Who tows 18,000 lbs? With what?-3.jpg  

Old 06-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Here are some interior shots and a picture of the storage bins on the passenger side. These three pictures are not of my truck, but this one is 100% identical to mine with the exception of the seats. My seats are cloth instead of leather. You know, they really are making these trucks as comfortable as regular cars now. Shop around and give them a look.
Attached Thumbnails Who tows 18,000 lbs? With what?-4.jpg   Who tows 18,000 lbs? With what?-6.jpg   Who tows 18,000 lbs? With what?-5.jpg  

Old 06-08-2006, 10:48 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

hotduck,

the scariest thing i've seen boating/ramp related was the previous owner of your boat towing it with a single rear wheel f350. really really scary.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by puder
hotduck,

the scariest thing i've seen boating/ramp related was the previous owner of your boat towing it with a single rear wheel f350. really really scary.
Ive have towed my 4300 Nortech with either my F350 dually and or single wheel. A good trailer (MYCO) has alot to do with it. The dually is more stable at speeds between 70-74mph, (I try not to tow faster) but what I have noticed is putting a air suspension, HD sway bar and camper package on the single F350 and it feels like both trucks are almost identicle when towing. This is my resolve for not wanting to drive a dually for just a few PR a year. I feel it is safe, (most will say not as safe as a dually) especially if driven very sensibly. Good luck, be safe. Jeff
Old 06-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

for the money an older body styled freightliner fl 50 to 70 series with a sportchassis conversion can be had pretty resonable right now since the new M2 body style is out. 4 doors and diesel. another option would be a slight converted semi like a kenworth t2000 trimmed down to a single rear or anything like that a volvo and such larger motors and automatics with an engine life span that will last. there are a couple of websites to see some of and purchase the converted rigs at and taged as an rv in certain states with no troubles as well.

Quick Reply: Who tows 18,000 lbs? With what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.