Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Who has towed 12K lb+ with a Suburban 2500 with Quadrasteer? >

Who has towed 12K lb+ with a Suburban 2500 with Quadrasteer?

Notices

Who has towed 12K lb+ with a Suburban 2500 with Quadrasteer?

Old 06-11-2006, 08:18 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Re: Who has towed 12K lb+ with a Suburban 2500 with Quadrasteer?

CBR, the packages included boat and trl. Tandem galvanized and tripple alum. All with surge brakes. Hitches were GM "hd weight distributing trailering package" which states that you should have weight distributing bars to actually have full rating. I never have used any. With a shorter wheelbase or with more tongue weight they probably would improve ride but with my packages I did fine. Now before each trip to FL I get the trl dlr to go over hubs/bearings/shackles/brakes etc. Trl generally sits as boats is on lifts north/south. Hopefully that helps
Old 06-11-2006, 09:06 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I've got a 2500 Burb but the 6.0 and 3.73 gears (no quadrasteer). Towing 8K boat, 3X aluminum trailer and gear puts it well over 10K. Would rather have a Dually, but this has to double as the wife's daily driver at the moment. Does OK on the highway, but you will be last from the stoplight. Consider your overall needs. If the tow vehicle has to pull daily duty or is only used occasionally then go for it.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:36 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very helpful indeed, thanks folks. Yep, the Burb would have to double as a daily driver. It will tow only a few times a year, seasonal towing back and forth to Florida. It simply makes more sense than a dually in that role.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stecz20
when you were there it was his first time trailering with the boat, it was not loaded on the trailer right. when the boat is loaded on the trailer right it rides fine, when it not it rides like sh it...

you talk like you have it tough in south jersey.. what have you pulled around with any weight.. must be tough getting around egg harbor... ever take a lowboy through manhattan, i did not think so.. shut up and get to the back of the line where you belong troll.. only thing your pulling out of 609er ville is your pud.....
Please...the boat was on the trailer..up against the front stop...the trailer was hooked on the back of the truck...the breaks all worked......total turd...what possibly could be out of adjustment.....another lame cover up....bottom line is that thing is a turd....looking for a hole at 70....nice...
Old 06-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Registered

the only hole is in the side of your head, im starting to think your whole life is a cover up.. if i were you id be looking for a hole...

how much does your boat weigh with fuel and your trailer , with gear and what is your turd rated for.. im sure you are close to the edge.. you are no better than some of these turds on the road just a bigger game.. you have a straight job with a wet bar, big deal.. i wanna see that scale ticket, or have you never scaled it... your no different, get off your soap box troll... i remember you buying a few trucks that you had no business buying with that boat and trailer.. oh you mean after the 3rd truck you finally got it right.. you might as well tattoo "im a victim" on your forehead...

Last edited by stecz20; 06-11-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:18 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Bankonit27
I believe they only offered the 6.0L with QS, although it did have a 4.10 rear end. The sub maxes out at 12,000 with the 8.1L and 4.10, I think the 6.0L is rated at 10,000 or 11,000. The QS is a sweet set up for towing, however 12,000 would be a rough tow imho.

Bankonit is RIGHT on the money.

1. It was only rated for 10K lbs.
2. It was only available with the 6.0L.
3. You can't even order an 8.1 anymore.
4. You can't order quadrasteer anymore (not popular).

5. I have towed 12,500 lbs. with that frame truck; 8.1L 2500 Avalanche, 4.10 gears, air bags, Putnam Class-V hitch, and WD hitch setup. Its doable. Its adequate. Its not a long term solution.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-11-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:34 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, boat is 7K, I am guessing 2K for trailer, another 1K for junk on the boat. I think I am still ok, as long as I cut down the number of illegals inside the boat. jking!

It sucks that the 8.1 was not available with QS, guess I'll have to use the wimp motor and live with it, or stick on a whipple to snap that QS system like an overtorqued Bravo drive.

Last edited by CBR; 06-12-2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

12,000 lbs with any Suburban, Expedition or Excursion is an accident waiting to happen. I really don't know what all this looking for hole means though. Whenever you're towing a boat in traffic everyone on the road wants to cut in front of you. You slow down early for a light and give yourself enough time to stop and three cars cut in front of you. You can't stop 12,000 lbs quick in a Suburban.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Sydwayz...did you see I indorsed the wd hitch????ok now to take care of the ***....stecz...the first was the peter built......the second is the twin screw 650 hp kenworth toter home...with 5th wheel and a 40g pintle i just did...with airbreaks....this last one is the 4500 4x4 with hauler and 5 th wheel....for local hauling and to grab the skater when we get close to our destination....or it can haul it the whole way...we needed on site hotel...that was the only mistake....the skater will weigh in at 12000g....the trailer is a skater trailer...so ther goes another 4g .....you are shot ....total of 18g with no use of wd hitch....even though I do say they are a good tool if handled with respect...you have been gone for to long to even know what has been going on around here...pleeeeze
Old 06-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bowtie
12,000 lbs with any Suburban, Expedition or Excursion is an accident waiting to happen. I really don't know what all this looking for hole means though. Whenever you're towing a boat in traffic everyone on the road wants to cut in front of you. You slow down early for a light and give yourself enough time to stop and three cars cut in front of you. You can't stop 12,000 lbs quick in a Suburban.
I agree....this is what I said from the start....but you will still have peeps like stexz....that say it is totally cool to be looking for a hole at 70....and mind you look what he has for a truck...f 450 or 550....he just does not want to bash tantrum....but I will

Quick Reply: Who has towed 12K lb+ with a Suburban 2500 with Quadrasteer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.