Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Who has towed 12K lb+ with a Suburban 2500 with Quadrasteer? >

Who has towed 12K lb+ with a Suburban 2500 with Quadrasteer?

Notices

Who has towed 12K lb+ with a Suburban 2500 with Quadrasteer?

Old 06-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Who has towed 12K lb+ with a Suburban 2500 with Quadrasteer?

chris is only towing 7500 the most with that ex.. he is towing a 30 ft cat with outboards and an aluminum trailer... if he were towing 10-12 i would not get in the truck with him... im only breaking your balls byrd, im trying to get you going... jeff told me to stop getting you excited.... you know how i feel, if you need a dis hitch, or some other angle to tow, dont bother.. buy the right truck for the job in the first place or dont bother at all... i dont want my wife and kids to be the one driving next to the a hole pulling a top gun with a Cadillac escalade.....
Old 06-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not been happy with my Excursion at all. Things is all over the road without a boat behind it. And I have had some nagging issues with it. I am going to get into a Denali and a dually if I finalize my other boat purchase. Need the SUV for work but honestly hate the Excursion. Just put 3K miles on her to FL without my boat and fought it the whole way. Had everything went thru prior to trip...tires alignment etc. Rode like crap the whole way....and was all over the road at 80.... I tested 4 of them before I bought this one and they all rode like crap. I already heard the BS... put shocks on it... rims/tires ... it will drive better. 45K for a truck and it should ride great. Shoulda bought a 2500 GMC 4 door DMax. I have towed locally with my boat here for 1 - 2 hours on highway and really have to say I wasnt very impressed overall.... my Denali and 29 beak wasnt much worse and traveled down the road better. Maybe it is just me but I am not very impressed with the Ex other than the room and power.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Registered

i know some of you guys think byrd is a little harsh, but he is right.. some of the questions that come out in this forum are crazy, i mean think about what your asking half the time... will a f-250 handle a top gun or will a suburban handle a 37 active thunder.. no, no and no... if you have a 8-10 thousand pound boat and have a 350 or a 250 to get it around town, you might get away with it, but when you trailer across the counrty you better have a dually something just for the stopping aspect, forget about control at speed.... you guys that pull these bigger rigs with 250s and 350 single wheel trucks.. it would take you 50 or 75 yrds to stop, rolling at 70.. you just took out a family of 5 and all because you cant fit through the Mc Donalds drive through.... byrd and myself break each others balls, but at least we practice what we preach......
Old 06-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by masher44
I have not been happy with my Excursion at all. Things is all over the road without a boat behind it. And I have had some nagging issues with it. I am going to get into a Denali and a dually if I finalize my other boat purchase. Need the SUV for work but honestly hate the Excursion. Just put 3K miles on her to FL without my boat and fought it the whole way. Had everything went thru prior to trip...tires alignment etc. Rode like crap the whole way....and was all over the road at 80.... I tested 4 of them before I bought this one and they all rode like crap. I already heard the BS... put shocks on it... rims/tires ... it will drive better. 45K for a truck and it should ride great. Shoulda bought a 2500 GMC 4 door DMax. I have towed locally with my boat here for 1 - 2 hours on highway and really have to say I wasnt very impressed overall.... my Denali and 29 beak wasnt much worse and traveled down the road better. Maybe it is just me but I am not very impressed with the Ex other than the room and power.

chris is in the same boat your in but you are also towing around a skinny little trailer.. might want to look how it tows with another truck, might be the trailer.... when chris's cat is loaded right and no fuel, it rides fine.. when not loaded right and he is full with fuel, it not the greatest ride, and im sure hes pushing 8000... chris is on the edge and sometimes over it... byrd is right...
Old 06-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stecz20
chris is in the same boat your in but you are also towing around a skinny little trailer.. might want to look how it tows with another truck, might be the trailer.... when chris's cat is loaded right and no fuel, it rides fine.. when not loaded right and he is full with fuel, it not the greatest ride, and im sure hes pushing 8000... chris is on the edge and sometimes over it... byrd is right...
Trailer was completely re-done..... extended 40 inches, bunks cut down and notched perfectly for the steps and motor sits perfectly above middle axle....tongue weight is near perfect. Trailer is normal width but boat is skinny. I know it is a weird set up on a trailer but the rig probably weighs 7-7.5K. Was so disappointed about the way it rode I didnt bring it with me to Jax. I am towing it with a 2500 DMax next week? and will reoprt back but I was totally bummed out about the towing deal. Might swap out Ex for dually if I get into the other boat. Gotta wait and see. Did Chris do anything to his Ex? Stock?
Old 06-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by masher44
Trailer was completely re-done..... extended 40 inches, bunks cut down and notched perfectly for the steps and motor sits perfectly above middle axle....tongue weight is near perfect. Trailer is normal width but boat is skinny. I know it is a weird set up on a trailer but the rig probably weighs 7-7.5K. Was so disappointed about the way it rode I didnt bring it with me to Jax. I am towing it with a 2500 DMax next week? and will reoprt back but I was totally bummed out about the towing deal. Might swap out Ex for dually if I get into the other boat. Gotta wait and see. Did Chris do anything to his Ex? Stock?

stock for now.....
Old 06-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I believe the Q-steer has coil rear springs. I don't know if you can add airbags to the rear suspension with all that crap back there for steering.

COIL SPRINGS SUCK FOR TOWING!!!! ASK MADCOW.

I would not buy one for towing more than two snowmobiles or a ski boat.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:44 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Oh geez. Seems the whole towing deal really sucks, I remember MadCow's adventure. Glad it turned out as well as it did and he was not "hamburger on special sale this morning".

Best bet: a friend in military airlift command. Just roll the boat in a herc, easy to fly it anywhere, can even drop it right into the ocean for you on chutes with no offload BS to deal with.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Take a 2005+ Ford out for a drive (F-250 or Excursion). You will be very surprised how tight the front wheels can make a turn; especially a crew cab short bed F-250.

My 2500 Avalanche towed quite well. It was nimble and agile with a great turning radius. That's one thing I miss about it.

Why stick to one vehicle? Get a full blown fully equiped tow vehicle (3/4-1 ton) that is a few years old with 30-50K miles on it, and a $5K beater for the city. Can't beat the combo.