Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
GOING BIG,  Ford F650, TOPKICK/KODIAC,ETC. >

GOING BIG, Ford F650, TOPKICK/KODIAC,ETC.

Notices

GOING BIG, Ford F650, TOPKICK/KODIAC,ETC.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: GOING BIG, Ford F650, TOPKICK/KODIAC,ETC.

In FL I do believe you DONT need a CDL if the truck is used for PRIVATE use only. I just got my CDL A and read that in the book, farmers, RV's and private useage are ok without a CDL.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Class 7 and 8 trucks of today are generally thought to have 1,000,000 mile components.....However,that is with an in line 6 cylinder engine that is never put in a LUGGING condition and is geared to cruise at 1950 RPM or below.
The OEM rated horsepower should be 330 or above to provide that type of performance when operating in the 26,000 +/- GVW range. A four door conversion,single drive axle,with ballast,with the goodies, will weigh over 16,000 #.A stretched four door will be over 17,000.
The Allison will generally burn more fuel than a manual transmission.However,if the manual transmission is not a more expensive semi automatic, it should be driven using the clutch.The learning curve for clutch proficiency can intimidate some drivers.The clutch will tolerate some slipping and even some riding of the clutch.However,it is not impossible to tear a clutch out. The one strong plus for a manual overdrive transmission is:gear to run in direct and shift into overdrive for the long straight stretch running 70-75 turning 15 to 1800 RPM.
The Allison is driven like a car,feed it power and off you go.At the ramp just a little power eases you up the hill.Plus it is safer,for those tight spots,a little fuel and just crawl around.However,the proper gearing gets more technical.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Registered

Atre you suggesting I should clutch every gear rather than "lift and shift" I'm getting pretty good at it. Seriously, I thought this was the preferred method for the bigger trucks etc?? It is trickier downshifting, I usually use the clutch for that.

Hammer's friend's biggest challenge will be the 4x4 part- think that will limit him to the class 4 and 5 world. While safer and rated for the higher loads it's gonna be a slug- think they are even detuned from the one ton versions
Old 08-14-2006, 11:08 PM
Registered

Does anyone have experience with the International CXT?

8ft bed, 4x4, can tow 20 tons.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nocturnal

It depends opn your expectations- "Can tow" is way different than can tow "well" at your local highway speeds, with hills etc.

I'm pretty sure the CXT is 520 ft lbs with lots of teeth on the ring gear so it has less power than today's dually, lower gearing and what 5-8000 lbs more? (weight is a guess). It would be a great local truck in town but I suspect not much more.

It's easy to look at the size/mass of a truck and thing it can do anything- lots of mdt's get sold traded becasue expectations simply were not met.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nocturnal

Horrible ride- the 4wd and the short wheelbase reduce it to nothing more than a rich-guy toy.

I wouldn't pull anything near 40K with a medium. 25K is about it.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:02 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

OSO Steve has towed with both the CXT he had on advertising loan and the F-650 he currently owns. He could be good for input.

I've also talked to a guy who has towed multiple boats with the Chevy C-4500 and the F-650. The Chevy C-4500 does not compare to the F-650; as in the F-650 is MUCH better.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cattitude

It's easy to look at the size/mass of a truck and thing it can do anything- lots of mdt's get sold traded becasue expectations simply were not met.
The benefits of a medium aren't highway speed- they're control. I cringe when I see people post "It'll only go 75 or 80". You're going to pull a 16,000 pound boat 80mph? What you really get is a lack of white-knuckle experiences and the ability to have the truck move the boat, not the other way around. Floating down the highway you won't realize much. When some a$$hole changes lanes into you and you swerve, you'll get every cent back on your investment in the following 3 seconds.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
The Chevy C-4500 does not compare to the F-650; as in the F-650 is MUCH better.
I agree- they are a completely different platform. The 4500 is a "tweener".
Old 08-15-2006, 08:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
The benefits of a medium aren't highway speed- they're control. I cringe when I see people post "It'll only go 75 or 80". You're going to pull a 16,000 pound boat 80mph? What you really get is a lack of white-knuckle experiences and the ability to have the truck move the boat, not the other way around. Floating down the highway you won't realize much. When some a$$hole changes lanes into you and you swerve, you'll get every cent back on your investment in the following 3 seconds.
Agreed 100%- I was speaking purely of their ability vs expectations to accelerate to and hold a desired speed- I should have been clearer.

My race trailer is only 10k lbs but the Dodge feels it, even though it's faster (hopped up) and has an ex brake to easily manage it. The toter- you just easily drive............. the trailer has a hard time influencing anything but acceleration and wind drag. I've got brakes for a combined 45k, and we weigh in close to 27k going down the road- it'll stop. the 270" wheelbase is kinda dominant too

I'd pull any load 5 mph over the speed limit if the conditions were good and i was not overloaded- and lots of places that is 80 mph. Why invest in the right equipment and not use it?

For the record- performance boats are one of the easiest loads to pull due to friendly aero and looong wheelbase to the trailer axles- hitch weight tends to stay more consistent too so Joe boater is less likely to screw it up

Quick Reply: GOING BIG, Ford F650, TOPKICK/KODIAC,ETC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.