Notices

Dodge 3500

Old 09-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dodge 3500

Hey,

I am going to pick up my new to me boat this weekend and I am curious how well my truck is going to pull it. I have a . 2005 Dodge 3500 with the cummins in it, but it isn't the dually. The truck is the automatic. The new boat weighs 10,000lbs dry and is 36' long. The trailer is a 38' steel Eagle trailer. I figure between boat and trailer and a little bit of fuel I should be around 13k lbs. Am I gonna have to trade up to the Dually or will my truck do?
Old 09-27-2006, 04:27 PM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dodge 3500

I would think a truck with a dual rear wheel would be a must with that load. More of a question of stability than pulling capability.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 525 Posts

You are going to wish you had the dually. I would not want to tow it as such.

Since the truck is so new, you probably have the original tires on it. I would make sure that you have or purchase some VERY stiff sidewall tires; definately E Load Range, and no bigger than stock. If you have the 17" wheels, they probably came with BFG Goodrich Rugged Trail tires, in the E Load Range. Make sure you check the tires. I had the BFG Rugged Trails in the 17" E Load Range, and they are a great tire. I don't know how wide the original wheels are, but if you go to an aftermarket wheel that is rated for 3000 lbs+ each (same as an E Load Rated tire) that is 8-9 inches wide, this will also help your stability. My last truck was a 3/4 ton GM that came with 6.5" wide wheels/E rated tires. I went to 8" wide wheels and saw a dramatic difference in towing stability/security.

You are also going to want rear Air Bags. Either the AirLift1000 or similar or the FireStone Ride-Right system. This will somewhat make up for your lack of dual rear wheels in stability, but its definately a band-aid; not a cure. Slick setup is with an on board compressor. Minimum setup is with dual manual air fills, one for each airbag (each side of truck). I had them inset to become my rear license plate bolts on my last truck, super trick and hidden.

How much do you plan to tow this setup with this truck? Do you have a cap and a lot of truck payload when you tow? The more weight back there, the less you are going to want to tow the with that truck. Do you have the crew cab? Short bed or long bed? The more wheelbase you have the better for towing!

While you may opt to keep the same truck, a wise investment would be full electric/hydraulic brakes for the trailer. When you cram on the brakes, the surge brakes on the trailer are going to push that truck and the single rear wheels all over the place before/as they engage. If your truck gets anywhere near out of whack (sideways) your trailer brakes are not engaged, and your trip that day is history. With electric/hydraulic brakes you have much more control over the whole rig, and while the weight will still be the biggest issue, braking control, especially emergency braking control will not be an issue.

Good luck, but if a dually is within scope and reach, I'd own one for that load. On top of that, I LOVE my dually more than any vehicle I have ever owned.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-27-2006 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Another priceless investment is a laser pyrometer (laser temp guage/gun). I check each of my tires for uniformity in temperature (as well as a visual safety inspection) each time I stop (for fuel, restroom, etc) when towing. I'll also make it a point to stop every two hours just to check the tires/hubs/brakes and since I now have turbo diesel, I'll check the length of the exhaust system for uniform heat readings.

This will alert you to a tire (truck or trailer) going bad before it blows due to mechanical issue/failure. A broken belt in a tire, or low tire pressure, and several other factors will cause a spike in tire temperature. Expect the tires on the side of the sun to be 10-15 degrees higher, but again, all in uniform reason.

I don't tow with out my laser pyrometer. Mine was around $80 bucks, and I bought it at a mom & pop auto parts store. They are available online as well.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually have a laser temp reader. I use it at work all the time. I think it was a couple hundred bucks. As far as the truck goes, it is the quad cab, but it has the short bed. I will try to get the fuel load as low as possible to shave off a little weight. What do you think a 2002 38' Steel Eagle Trailer weighs?

Also, After I get the boat home It won't be towed that often. It will spend most of it's time on it's hoist. when it is towed the trip from the lake to the house is 140 miles, and If I use it on the river that is only 10 miles from my house.

Is anybody out there pulling a boat this size without the dually, and if so what are there thoughts?
Old 09-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

That trailer is probably 2000 lbs. if not more. Couple that with fuel at 6 lbs./gallon, tools, coolers, gear, etc., it racks up fast.

140 miles is a significant trip, and while anything can happen (and does) in a 10 mile trip, I don't think I'd like that extended tow, with the family and such in the truck; with that truck.

You can't have too much truck. Its impossible. Worse to worse, pick up an older dually, like a $25000 7.3L PSD Ford; something bulletproof with low miles; and have another vehicle as a daily driver.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have a Dodge 2500 4 door short bed with the cummins and pull a 38 cigarette. The truck pulls great. I have towed the boat over 3,000 miles. It would be nice to have a dually but this truck pulls great.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Registered

I had a 2001 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins and drove from AZ to Indiana when I picked up my first 382. It pulled it great. Since then I traded it for a 3500 Dually and it puts the 2500 to shame! Big difference in stability. I did put the Banks Kit and ATS Torque Converter in. I heard that's a weak link in the Dodges.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:53 AM
Registered

6 Gun Kit and the ATS with Trans Command. I also installed the high Ram intake and took out the stock air intake and installed the K&N Filter kit. Now you can really hear the Turbo now!
Originally Posted by Catmando
The Six Gun kit? That ATS converter was a smart move.

Baywatch I also have a 3500 quad cab short bed. I pulled a 5000lb boat/trailer, truck didn't know it was back there. In addition to Sydwayz' excellent advice, check this site out www.morepowerlessfuel.com.

Also get the ATS converter and a Jake brake. If you could modify the trailer for a gooseneck hitch that would certainly help. I have one and I can tow 14,500 with it.

All those mods would still be cheaper than buying another truck.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baywatch
What do you think a 2002 38' Steel Eagle Trailer weighs?
Baywatch,

My Eagle trailer for a 382 Formula is #3000 on the nose with dual spare tires/mount.

Quick Reply: Dodge 3500

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.