Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
WHY does one 'jack-up' their truck? >

WHY does one 'jack-up' their truck?

Notices

WHY does one 'jack-up' their truck?

Old 11-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: WHY does one 'jack-up' their truck?

they look good lifted mho
Old 11-24-2006, 09:02 PM

I spent several years building some pretty radical 4x4's. My last project was a Ford Ranger, with a Dana 44 up front, 9" in the back. Complete custom built suspension netting about 16" of lift, & of course the steering was also a challenge, but when it was complete....this truck was very safe. I've seen some butcher jobs on suspensions & these trucks are on the road everyday...that's scary....Oh, I couldn't pull a trailer at all.....extreme transmission would just overheat, but that's not what I built the truck for. I think before someone jacks up a truck, they should do the research. There are some outstanding suspension companies that build very safe kits, & do well pulling. I just purchased a 99 Donzi 26ZX, I live in South Mississippi, the boat was in South FL. I borrowed a 2003 2500HD, duramax with an 8" Fabtech lift....I will say, I was quite impressed. I don't even think the truck knew the boat was there, & the ride was very nice, & it felt very safe....
Old 11-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Registered

i used to run a f150 with 6 in lift with a 428cj. it did not take long to eat the 1/2 stuff. so out came it in went dana 60 4.56 gears and detorit locker in the rear, true track in the front and 40 ground hawgs . 10miles to the gallon loaded or unloaded . now i'm to old to even get in that truck so now i ride in style in a ram 2500ctdqc 4x4 stock i might put my 33x12 17 back on it one day . back then it was fun and the women did like it alot .
Old 11-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Registered

as for lifted truck's not being safe if it is done right it's safe. these lift kit company spend millions on r&d to make safe proudects you know they doin't want to be sued so there libilaty ins to cover thee ass .
Old 11-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Registered

rg3 sweet ride . i knew you were ok
Old 11-24-2006, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Lots of reasons, but mainly for function. A lifted and properly equipped truck will go places that not many, if any, stock trucks will go. As for stability, many lifted trucks are more stable than they were when they were stock. Yes, lifting a truck does raise the center of gravity, but also consider the increase in track width when you change from a stock tire and wheel to something like a 14-18" wide tire on a wide wheel. Also, most lifted truck springs (especially leaf springs) are stiffer than stock springs, which reduces body roll.

Keep in mind that a lift has to be done properly to be safe. There are some unsafe, home made lifts out there, but the increasing use of IFS by the auto makers and the availability of engineered systems for nearly any truck has cut down on the amount of home made stuff dramatically. As for the legal issue, if you lift the truck within the limits set by the state, you will not have any problems. These limits vary greatly from state to state. Some state are strict and others don't have hardly any limits.

The bottom line to everything here is that a properly lifted truck will go places and do things that a stock truck won't.....and it's fun!
Attached Thumbnails WHY does one 'jack-up' their truck?-101.jpg   WHY does one 'jack-up' their truck?-103.jpg   WHY does one 'jack-up' their truck?-102.jpg  

Last edited by Hot Duck; 11-24-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My high school truck. 1989 Blazer lifted 11 inches (spring & body) running 39X18.50 Mickeys, 400ci small block, 4.56 gears, etc... It wasn't great in the mud because of the tire selection, but it would run down the beach like it was on pavement.
Attached Thumbnails WHY does one 'jack-up' their truck?-108.jpg  
Old 11-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My next lifted truck. 1997 F-250 lifted 6" running 35X14.5 Mickeys. Powerstroke, 4.30 gears, swapped IFS for high angle Dana 60 from Dynatrac.... That was one of my favorite trucks. I sold it a few years ago to get into an F-450.
Attached Thumbnails WHY does one 'jack-up' their truck?-113.jpg   WHY does one 'jack-up' their truck?-100.jpg  

Last edited by Hot Duck; 11-24-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Another stock truck stuck, after prom none the less. Boy high school was fun!
Attached Thumbnails WHY does one 'jack-up' their truck?-104.jpg   WHY does one 'jack-up' their truck?-106.jpg  
Old 11-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Now this is a fun way to spend a Sunday...at the Mud Hop!
Attached Thumbnails WHY does one 'jack-up' their truck?-107.jpg  

Quick Reply: WHY does one 'jack-up' their truck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.