Notices

GM SUVs: Duramax with 4L85E?

Old 11-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM SUVs: Duramax with 4L85E?

The SUV poll makes me share this brain fart here. The big draw to the Excursion is the diesel. One of the problems with putting the Dmax in the GM SUV is everyone wants the Allison which doesn't fit so well.
But GM puts the Dmax in vans with the 4L8x transmission. I'm sure it's derated from the truck motor, and you don't get the Allison features, but would there be interest in that? I wonder how similar the 8.1L and Dmax engine mount setups are? I'd have to think it would be an easy swap...from a fabrication perspective. And the 85E with some mild upgrades could probably handle 500+lbs of torque no problem.
And then there's the newer 6spd trans; I wonder what they'd hold?
I'm torn between trying that swap, or finding a crew cab with quadrasteer and dropping the Dmax in one of those.
Thanks,
Michael
Old 11-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Registered

Default Re: GM SUVs: Duramax with 4L85E?

Originally Posted by handfulz28
The SUV poll makes me share this brain fart here. The big draw to the Excursion is the diesel. One of the problems with putting the Dmax in the GM SUV is everyone wants the Allison which doesn't fit so well.
But GM puts the Dmax in vans with the 4L8x transmission. I'm sure it's derated from the truck motor, and you don't get the Allison features, but would there be interest in that? I wonder how similar the 8.1L and Dmax engine mount setups are? I'd have to think it would be an easy swap...from a fabrication perspective. And the 85E with some mild upgrades could probably handle 500+lbs of torque no problem.
And then there's the newer 6spd trans; I wonder what they'd hold?
I'm torn between trying that swap, or finding a crew cab with quadrasteer and dropping the Dmax in one of those.
Thanks,
Michael
very simple solution is 2 " body lift on the suburban and the allison trans fits then. it is all a issue with clearence in the trans tunnel area
Old 11-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: GM SUVs: Duramax with 4L85E?

http://www.duramaxsuburban.com/
Old 01-10-2024, 03:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by awesomecat26
very simple solution is 2 " body lift on the suburban and the allison trans fits then. it is all a issue with clearence in the trans tunnel area
From all the understanding the trans tunnel isn’t the issue it’s a tapered body lift to accommodate the cooling stack the builders don’t use a body lift all the way back
Old 01-11-2024, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
And the 85E with some mild upgrades could probably handle 500+lbs of torque no problem.
A stock 80/85E will hold 500 ft-lb with a trans-go shift kit. I've done it many times with turbo LS street car stuff. For something heavier that you're planning to tow with, a built 4L8X-E would be the ticket. I'm putting 900+ hp and 700+ ft-lb to the tires through a Jakes Performance Stage IV 4L80E. Never a hiccup from the trans in beating on it every time I drive it for several years now.

4L80E ? Jake?s Performance
Old 01-12-2024, 08:34 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by mfg solutions
From all the understanding the trans tunnel isn’t the issue it’s a tapered body lift to accommodate the cooling stack the builders don’t use a body lift all the way back
So what's the point of joining OSO to resurrect an 18 year old thread? Yes, it's well known that the evaporator/cooling system one of the issues. I have a friend who built his own Duramax Suburban.
The following users liked this post:
cheech (01-12-2024)