Notices

Super Duty's in danger?

Old 02-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Super Duty's in danger?

Ford Motor Co. said Monday that a decision by key supplier Navistar International Corp. to stop supplying diesel engines will not disrupt production of F-Series Super Duty pickups "in the near term."

However, the automaker would not say how long it could keep its truck lines running if the vendor holds out. Ford began producing its crucial redesigned F-Series Super Duty pickups in Louisville, Ky., late last year and the trucks are arriving in showrooms this month.

Navistar announced Monday that it has halted production of the PowerStroke diesel engine it makes for Ford because of an ongoing contract dispute. The Warrenville, Ill.-based engine manufacturer is the exclusive diesel engine supplier for Ford's heavy duty pickup trucks.

In a statement Monday, Navistar said it "pays its suppliers and employees under contract terms and that it expects Ford to honor the terms of its agreement."

This from the Detroit News this morning. I will tell you I have seen Ford do some real stupid things but they better come to the pump on this.

Wannabe
Old 02-27-2007, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Navistar is not in the best financial shape- they're borrowing money to keep their heads above water and they've had stock issues with late reports and earnings restatements.

All the stuff you've heard about the 6.0 engine's troubles, either real or magnified, are a result of Navistar not being able to deliver on their contract and make these problems go away. Ford finally sued them to get it straightened out.

The diesel Superduty is a bread and butter unit for Ford. It's the standard vehicle in fleets everywhere. They own a huge segment of the marketplace and they're not going to give that up. Navistar still is under contract to deliver and they're playing chicken with Ford. I'd expect Ford to have an injunction by week's end to have Navistar back in production.

Long-term? Maybe a Cummins? How about a little CAT?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:03 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Maybe a Cummins? How about a little CAT?

A cummins ford would be nice, but a CAT ford would have some seriuos name regognition....and a sweet fender badge under the F350
Old 02-27-2007, 04:16 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Navistar is not in the best financial shape- they're borrowing money to keep their heads above water and they've had stock issues with late reports and earnings restatements.

All the stuff you've heard about the 6.0 engine's troubles, either real or magnified, are a result of Navistar not being able to deliver on their contract and make these problems go away. Ford finally sued them to get it straightened out.

The diesel Superduty is a bread and butter unit for Ford. It's the standard vehicle in fleets everywhere. They own a huge segment of the marketplace and they're not going to give that up. Navistar still is under contract to deliver and they're playing chicken with Ford. I'd expect Ford to have an injunction by week's end to have Navistar back in production.

I don't think there would be many willing to pay the price that a Cat engined Ford pickup would cost.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Registered

Considering the new 6.4L Navistar engine alone adds $7,000 to the price of a new Super Duty, I'm curious to guess what a mass-produced CAT engine would cost if they would be producing it for Ford. Isn't the 300 HP CAT upgrade for F-650's around $20,000?
Old 02-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Registered

I just started working at International Truck and Engine in Nov last year. So I am still getting up to speed. I will tell you this they are not hurting for money. International has a huge part of the Medium duty market. And with the New Prostar coming out (class 8)they will get a good chunckof the Heavy duty market. Now the new Maxx Force motors , MANN motors (big bore) all being introduced this year. There is this love hate relationship with Ford and International that is on going (yes ford sued over v8 VT365 and but then international sued over the v6 VT275) I am sure this will wash out. The Stock thing is all about a business relationship that went bad between International and their accounting firm. This relationship was over 100 yrs old and ended this year. International now needs to get their books straightened out so the listing was pulled til their earnings can be reported correctly.

Last edited by Mike Paula; 02-27-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:45 AM
VIP Member

Caterpillar may have their hands full next year supplying Toyota with a diesel engine for the new Tundra. Talks are underway right now.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cbeastwood
Considering the new 6.4L Navistar engine alone adds $7,000 to the price of a new Super Duty, I'm curious to guess what a mass-produced CAT engine would cost if they would be producing it for Ford. Isn't the 300 HP CAT upgrade for F-650's around $20,000?

The actual average between my 07 and 08 option for option was 5100. difference. Jeff
Old 02-28-2007, 09:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
I don't think there would be many willing to pay the price that a Cat engined Ford pickup would cost.
They probably wouldn't be putting C7's in them. Most likely it would be a from-scratch design and much smaller than the engines CAT now makes for the medium-duty market.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:02 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smitty
Caterpillar may have their hands full next year supplying Toyota with a diesel engine for the new Tundra. Talks are underway right now.

The only place I can find any reference to that is on the dieselstop forum. Seems that Cat would be smart enough to not get into the mass produced low margin market.

Sure would be a coup for Toyota if they could swing it, but there is no reason they couldn't build their own diesel, they certainly have the resources and already sell diesels in most of the world

Quick Reply: Super Duty's in danger?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.