Old 03-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

they've been on road here for a few weeks...neighbor got his 2 weeks ago
Old 03-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Tell me this isn't so 42MTI ordered a new one and will pick it up Monday(I hope). I am supposed to leave for Sarasota in it Wednesday.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ford halts sale of F-series diesel trucks, citing tailpipe flames

WASHINGTON -- Ford Motor Co. today told dealers to temporarily stop selling certain 2008 F-series Super Duty diesel pickups after receiving reports of flames shooting out of the vehicle's tailpipe.

Ford said it was recalling 37,400 F-Series Super Duty trucks with 6.4-liter diesel engines. The majority of the pickups _ 29,000 _ were still on dealer lots, the automaker said.

Ford spokesman Dan Jarvis said it received three reports of flames coming from the truck's tailpipe, caused by leaking fuel that ignited in the exhaust system's diesel particulate filter near the tailpipe.

"It's really something that we noticed early on and we're moving swiftly to fix the problem," Jarvis said.

There have been no injuries or vehicle fires connected to the recall. There has been one report of a grass fire in Texas that was quickly extinguished, he said.

Jarvis said the flames could only occur in engines with leaking fluids, which he said was very rare. Two of the complaints involved leaking fuel injectors and the other involved leaks coming from a crack in the turbocharger shaft.

The automaker will have dealers upgrade software for the powertrain control module, which will power down the engine under higher-than-expected temperatures in the diesel particulate filter. Similar software updates will take place at the Louisville, Ky., plant where the trucks are built.

Jarvis said the stop sale order should only last a few days as dealers reprogram the software. Owners of the remaining 8,400 trucks will be notified about the recall in early April and will be able to have the software upgrade at no charge.

In a separate action, fewer than 10,000 of the trucks will have the battery cable rerouted to avoid chafing against a shield in the engine compartment that prevents water and mud from getting into the engine.

Ford said the recall does not affect gasoline-powered pickups or those with 6.0-liter or 7.3-liter diesel engines.
Here is why Ford motors are no longer put in boats...sorry,had to
Old 03-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Déjŕ vu All Over Again
Old 03-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine works great....No fires yet...
Old 03-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Rippem
another Navistar experiment already going wrong and there isn't even one in a consumer's driveway yet.

Consumer as Beta tester. Ford's forte'
I've had mine since Jan. It's a great truck. This is a Powerstroke problem not a Ford deal. Lay off Ford.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Registered

Don’t blame Ford or International, Blame the EPA. Look under your new trucks See that lovely DPF (diesel Particulate filter) and DOC (diesel oxidation catalyst)? There is your problem. Leaking injectors? Well if that’s the case where the injector is leaking into the combustion chamber then the motor would be toast. At 5k-29k PSI of fuel a leak would be like a blow torch at the tip of the injector- I am sure that’s not the problem. Anyway back to the DPF, it requires a temp of 550 degrees C to do a regeneration (burning the trapped soot and turning it to ash) in order to do that they do what call a hydrocarbon dosing of the DOC and light it off (this is the last chance method to do a regen. And there is plenty of warning). If it goes in to Regen in any area that a fire could start, like in a dry field, look out. There should be a switch that allows you to do a park regen in a safe area. Again the EPA is not going to let the truck run forever with out doing this so it will start on its own. As for calibrations again look past ford and international and right to the problem….Seaman, they are responsible for the injectors the computers and the kernel software. I am betting a recal fixs this problem. I am sure there will be more issues with this after treatment systems. For us and every one else....

PS….that DPF, about a 150k mile life, then it will need to be changed out. I think the last price I heard was $3000-$5000 exchange. Just wait till 2010…….

Last edited by Mike Paula; 03-23-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Registered

Is the Duramax having this problem???
Old 03-23-2007, 10:18 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Paula
Don’t blame Ford or International, Blame the EPA. Look under your new trucks See that lovely DPF (diesel Particulate filter) and DOC (diesel oxidation catalyst)? There is your problem. Leaking injectors? Well if that’s the case where the injector is leaking into the combustion chamber then the motor would be toast. At 5k-29k PSI of fuel a leak would be like a blow torch at the tip of the injector- I am sure that’s not the problem. Anyway back to the DPF, it requires a temp of 550 degrees C to do a regeneration (burning the trapped soot and turning it to ash) in order to do that they do what call a hydrocarbon dosing of the DOC and light it off (this is the last chance method to do a regen. And there is plenty of warning). If it goes in to Regen in any area that a fire could start, like in a dry field, look out. There should be a switch that allows you to do a park regen in a safe area. Again the EPA is not going to let the truck run forever with out doing this so it will start on its own. As for calibrations again look past ford and international and right to the problem….Seaman, they are responsible for the injectors the computers and the kernel software. I am betting a recal fixs this problem. I am sure there will be more issues with this after treatment systems. For us and every one else....

PS….that DPF, about a 150k mile life, then it will need to be changed out. I think the last price I heard was $3000-$5000 exchange. Just wait till 2010…….
I cant find the info, but in order to go into regen the vehicle has to be travelling at a certain highway speed for a given amount of time. If I can find the specs I'll post them later.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Mike Paula

You are 100% right. It's the same basic problem everyone had with the cats. on the gas motors in the early 80's. What makes it worse is Ford & Powerstroke are in a pissing match over warrenty work on the 6.0's.

Quick Reply: Tailpipe fires on 6.4 liters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.