Notices

hummer towing capacity

Old 03-31-2007, 10:59 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Tow rating is dictated by wheelbase/stopping ability. That is why the different model trucks have different tow ratings with similar power. The key is stopping. The H2 can tow more than its rated capacity but is limited to 7500 due to its wheelbase. In answer to your question ... yes it can easily tow the Fountain. I towed my Gladiator with no issues. However, I wouldn't tow this kind of weight with surge brakes. You need electric brakes biased towards the trailer. This setup makes the downhill grades manageable. Without it ... forget it.
You can't tow that boat with that truck....the boat weighs like 8200 lbs....and the trailer.....pleeeeze...
Old 04-01-2007, 05:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Hey Artic I have a 98 chevy conversion with the 350. what tranny do you think it has and could i install the 485le to upgrade the towing capacity.Would it be a direct bolt up with a length adjustment for the driveshaft and possibly a different crossmember?
Also is there any remanufactures you can buy rebuilds from.Had a horrible experience with a 700R in a older van i had with AAmco.They rebuilt it 7 times in 40,000 miles ,thank god i bought the extended warranty.That experince scares me from ever having mine rebuilt again.Would probaly go to GM and buy a brand new one and pay the big bucks for the peace of mind if there is no good remanufactures out there.
I'm going to assume when you say you have a conversion you mean a van? Most gm platforms in 98 that had 350 motors had 4l60e transmissions except 3//4 ton and heavier trucks and vans. On a 2wd you could install a 4l80e BUT your biggest problem is getting the right electronics to make it shift right,the harness and ecm are toatally different,the x-member,driveshaft & cooling lines are too but they can be remedied fairly easy. You could install a stand alone computer and harness but it wouldn't give any feedback to your computer which would cause a whole otther set of engine problems. If you got the whole wiring harness and ecm from a 4l80e equipped vehicle that was similar to yours it could be done with some work.
As far as where to buy a new or rebuilt transmission that is ultra reliable I would tell you to get a gm re-manned unit or jasper with the long warranty (If you were in michigan I would tell you to come see me).Keep in mind a 4l80e takes more power to turn and your mileage and acceleration will drop too if you go to one from a 4l60e,kinda like comparing a bravo to a #3a,Smitty
Old 04-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 579 Likes on 239 Posts

Thanks for the info Artic.Just trying to weigh my options,Van has 125000 on it but it runs like a champ and looks great .Its not worth squat in resale either.
Just got it back from my ex and she had a mechanic that butchered a repair and didn.t tighten up the tranny lines so it had a leak.Anyways i was driving it and the tranny started to slip,ended putting a couple of quarts in it a to get home where i dropped the pan and changed the filterand flushed the system.Had a small amount of clutch dust in the pan .
I have been worried about the tranny eversince.It hits second hard but third it kind of slides in to.What do you think the chances are it did some damage running out of fluid.Other than overheating or never flushing what kills most trannys?
Old 04-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Mac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

towing a 16ft enclosed trailer with 2 Harleys in ,is all my 06 H2 SUT seems to want!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by klaw
it reminded me of a post by Chris Sunkin

"I swear to God the next motherfuc&er that posts a "can I pull a Cary 50 with a moped" post, I'm gonna fly to where they're at and beat 'em like a circus monkey."

Thanks for remembering!
Old 07-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Towed with it a few times so far, short distances, does a great job
Attached Thumbnails hummer towing capacity-000_0015.jpg  
Old 07-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Registered

I have a 2005 H2 the tow rating is 6,500.I just towed my 28 skater to south Florida from Atlanta @75mph.It tows well a little bouce ,but not bad.My boat with motors weighs around 3,400 + Steel trailer and fuel I am close to the max.I am definately going to buy an extended warranty just in case.The 2008 has a tow rating of 8,000,but has 395hp and a 6sp tranny.Turning radius of the H2 is excellent ,so good that I have wacked both rear quarter panels with my Skaters sponsonsHopefully I have learned my lesson.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Registered

I would buy a Lifted 6 door F650 to tow anything over 15,000 on trailer loaded up.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:27 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear & see all of this info posted up for others to see..

I had looked into this on my own for a while as well before I bought new H2 last week.. I knew I would be fine with pulling my 26 Donzi.. The bigger stuff I am subbing out for transporting.. I know If I have to move something in my lot with it thats bigger than my boat I can if I have to. I believe the capacity is 7500# My Duramax that I leased was by far more & had more balls, but the Hummer is cooler to drive.. There are trade offs for everything, if I was consistantly transporting or running a much bigger boat I would have bought another diesel truck.. The important thing to do is to use your head & keep your tow capacity in the same area as the boat you are going to pull.. You are better safe rather than sorry.. Jamie
Attached Thumbnails hummer towing capacity-pwr-boat.jpg  

Last edited by LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS; 07-23-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DONZI33
Good to hear & see all of this info posted up for others to see..

I had looked into this on my own for a while as well before I bought new H2 last week.. I knew I would be fine with pulling my 26 Donzi.. The bigger stuff I am subbing out for transporting.. I know If I have to move something in my lot with it thats bigger than my boat I can if I have to. I believe the capacity is 7500# My Duramax that I leased was by far more & had more balls, but the Hummer is cooler to drive.. There are trade offs for everything, if I was consistantly transporting or running a much bigger boat I would have bought another diesel truck.. The important thing to do is to use your head & keep your tow capacity in the same area as the boat you are going to pull.. You are better safe rather than sorry.. Jamie

I just checked the Hummer websight it looks like 6700 is the tow rating with the new 2008 up to 8000 more hp and 6spd tran.You will like the H2.The turning radius is great.Congrats!

Last edited by offshoresteve; 07-28-2007 at 01:29 PM.