Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Insurance people? Tires and the factory rating... >

Insurance people? Tires and the factory rating...

Notices

Insurance people? Tires and the factory rating...

Old 04-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance people? Tires and the factory rating...

I was recently told that because I have a 2500HD Chevy and I run Nitto Terra Grappler's that are not "E" Rated as the original equipment tires are, that my insurance company wont cover me or my truck in an accident... Has anyone heard of this or can you confirm it??? I don't tow very much, so I didn't put back E rated tires but I certainly don't want to screw myself...

Thanks, Ben
Old 04-17-2007, 08:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Insurance companies are always on the lookout for ways to reduce their exposure. If having improper tires causes or contributes to a loss, they very well may deny or reduce your claim, and rightfully so. If you run a red light and cause damage, it's unlikely that they'll look at the tire's weight-rating in determining if they'll pay.

What you should really be worried about is if your lack of tire rating is going to send you on a roller coaster ride that you may not survive.

I have D-rated tires on my Excursions but I don't tow anything bigger than a 20' boat with them. Factory calls for E's.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Registered

Watch not just the E & D ratings with tires, because different sizes/mfgs will change the load ratings(capacities)
Old 04-19-2007, 12:15 AM
Registered

I don't tow big boats anymore. I tow my 18' flats boat and my 14' Shifter Kart trailer and neither weigh very much. I do understand the insurance companies not wanting to cover something that would be caused by the tire failure that could have been effected by the rating but I was just wondering about overall coverage. Thanks...
Old 04-19-2007, 06:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind, each state has their own laws governing insurance companies and each company has policy (contract) language for each state it does business in. Essentially, it only matters what your contract says. If it's not included or excluded, either specifically, categorically or generally then it doesn't exist. I did a repair on my home based on the insurance company's estimate, then called them for the check. The sent it with 10% deducted. I called and asked why. They told me it was their "policy". I asked if they could point to the section in our contract that provided for that deduction- they mailed the balance. Read your policy. The thing is, even the vaguest language can give them the wiggle room to deny, thus forcing you to litigate. Unless there's significant negligence and huge settlement costs, they'll settle before they fight. Unless there's big $$ involved, they'll probably send an adjuster that knows bodywork but probably couldn't change a tire, let alone see that a marginally under-rated tire caused the accident.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben@SRP
I don't tow big boats anymore. I tow my 18' flats boat and my 14' Shifter Kart trailer and neither weigh very much. I do understand the insurance companies not wanting to cover something that would be caused by the tire failure that could have been effected by the rating but I was just wondering about overall coverage. Thanks...
Ben, I'm not sure what size tire your running, I'd guess a 16 inch, but just about any 16 inch D rated(8PLY) is going to good for at least 3000lbs per tire,, the rating will be on the tire,, it sounds like you tounge weight is not going to be over 4 or 500 lbs, you should be well within the specs of the tire capacity,, maybe find a scale somewhere that will give you a CERTIFIED printed reciept of your weight that you can keep as proof that your not "over the limit" ,,

Mitch
Old 04-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In most cases the only time tires would come into play is if a tire failure caused or contributed. And then only if they could prove the tires were overloaded. This does become an issue with lowered trucks with car tires on them (overloaded empty). In your case it is a stretch that an adjustor would try it.