Notices

AWD vs 4WD

Old 05-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AWD vs 4WD

I'm turning in our leased 2005 Durango. Wife wants something a little smaller and more economical. The new vehicle will not be the primary tow vehicle but may do spot duty. What are everyones opinions on the two drive choices. I've always preferred an SUV that can lock into 4WD but maybe I'm old fashioned. Are the AWD vehicles as good in snow?

Thanks, Dave
Old 05-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

my wife's 6 cyl ford escape isn't too bad...i don't know your tow weights, but her car has good power, handles well, has good room and is awd...it's a good value. this from a guy who drives a 1995 2500, 454, 4x4 suburban....
Old 05-07-2007, 08:46 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No AWD isnt as good in the snow. You still get a majority of the power to the rear. For minor hwy driving AWD will be fine and mostly transparent. 4WD has a noticable "pull" from the front when driving and usually some t-case noise. I put my truck in 4wd when needed and 2wd all the rest of the time. I cant find a need for anything in between.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a ford escape and a suburban. the escape has auto 4 wheel drive, but you can also lock it in, which is much better then the AWD. but nothing can be 4 wheel drive in something heavy like the suburban. I would definitly choose something that you can actually lock into 4x4. also the tow rating of the escape is crap
Old 05-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Registered

Depends on the AWD system. Some AWD systems don't have locking diffs up front and if the box isn't checked, not in the rear either. I've heard scenarios where opposite corners of each end get stuck spinning...going nowhere.
IMHO "selectable" 4wd is the way to go if you think you're gonna need it.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the opinions. I'm thinking along the same lines as everyone else about being able to lock in 4WD. The Durango has AWD but seems much better in snow when locked in 4WD. Also my F-150 4x4 seems like a tank when locked in. If I stick with the 4WD it starts to really limit the choices of SUV's. Also we only tow about 5000#.

Dave
Old 05-08-2007, 05:35 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

We have a 06 Subaru that is great in the snow, for a car.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Registered

Hands down my best car ever owned was a 89' BMW 325ix (AWD). That thing survived 3 teen male driver's, who took it off road. Logging roads in B.C and the desert's of Arizona, to Ontario winter's. 400K+ kilometer's that I mostly put on, this thing was awesome in the snow.

Hemmings Sports & Exotics mag said:
The front wheels always have some torque transmitted to them. BMW choose a ratio of 37/63% front to rear because this corresponds to the weight distribution on each axle under full acceleration. This avoids the problem typical of front wheel drive vehicles in which the front wheels spin under acceleration due to weight transfer to the rear. Road and Track (April '88) states that "The net effect of the center differential is to act as a power-management system, transferring engine torque away from the end that is slipping and to the end with greater grip; as much as 90 percent of the torque may be shifted to the front or rear as required. This is done actively, quickly and without the occupants of the car ever being aware of it."
The other via ABS would brake the individual wheel that was spinning more. Off the line snow exceleration was incredible, heck I even climbed a snow back to park it! The problem even today most AWD vehicle's are not as seemingly advanced as my 89' IX was in it's day. Handling in all dif conditions, it easily out handled the standard 325i's 2wd's of that era (Mom had a 325ic). Having said how awesome it was, died due to timing belt failure, yes I would still have that car today, if it did'nt die.... I've also thought about getting another used one to use as a beater. Part of my current contract get a company lease/financed vehicle (Excursion), so I don't really need one for winter's, but still want one. Would I buy other new AWD's, nope cause none are as good as that model BMW was!!!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by David Stotz
Thanks for all the opinions. I'm thinking along the same lines as everyone else about being able to lock in 4WD. The Durango has AWD but seems much better in snow when locked in 4WD. Also my F-150 4x4 seems like a tank when locked in. If I stick with the 4WD it starts to really limit the choices of SUV's. Also we only tow about 5000#.

Dave
What are you looking at for replacement?

Locking into 4WD, hands down.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

GM's 4x4 also have the 4LOW option, wich I really like to have to pull the boat out of water. I use to have a yukon denali AWD and one time I was stuck in the lauch ramp and wished I had my truck with 4LOW...

Quick Reply: AWD vs 4WD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.