Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Can u use regular car rims for a trailer >

Can u use regular car rims for a trailer

Notices

Can u use regular car rims for a trailer

Old 05-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Can u use regular car rims for a trailer

Just got this 20 and i am going to paint the trailer silver so it looks like aluminium, and wanted to put some cool rims on it, like some 20" chrome rims, will this work, what about the berring
Attached Thumbnails Can u use regular car rims for a trailer-img_1182-large-.jpg  
Old 05-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The boat is light enough , weight should not be a problem. I did it myself with a 21'r. Used 15" Ford LTD aluminum wheels out of a junk year for $140 for all four. Ran it seven years , including a trip to Florida (from Jersey). I don't think I'd used 20s though
Old 05-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 519 Posts

I think you will probably be better off with "the Myco Trailer Wheel" that they had exclusivity on for a long time, or the Pacer Outlaw II which is also 3000 lb. rated clear coated aluminum. I definitely like the CRC race boat's trailer, and the like; but I just would not trust such setup for the privateer for the long haul.

The wheel that Myco made popular:

http://www.championtrailers.com/rims.html
Old 05-25-2007, 10:44 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a sweet rig a couple yrs ago. Chevy silverado towing a color matched trailer and boat....truck and trailer rolling on matched corvette rims.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have seen magazines with trailers that have 20s on them. may be hot boat or something like that
Old 05-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Registered

We have these on a horse trailer, and I will probably buy set for the boat, Stainless steel=no worries.

Jim
Old 05-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Registered

i would check the load rating other than that bolt it up. I ran my stock dodge wheels on a trailer i had for years. Though they were truck wheels.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:35 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 519 Posts

Its not so much the rims I'd worry about. As long as you find the right wheel with the right weight rating, you are good. However, the taller you get in rim, the wider you get in rim, and then you are going to get into width clearance issues.

I run LT E-rated truck tires on my dually AND my boat trailer. EVERY time I stop when towing, I use the Laser Pyrometer (Temp Gun) to check the temp of each truck and trailer tire sidewall, each truck and trailer tire tread, each hub assembly on the trailer, each trailer brake disc, andeach trailer brake caliper.

I know the acceptable ranges for my setup based on uniformity. My trailer tires normally run 100-125 degrees on the sidewall (slightly warmer on side toward sun), and 125-150 degrees on the tread.

My concern is that a wider tire is going to generate more heat, and also not dissipate that heat as well as a narrow and more traditional trailer type setup. When you go to that 20" or taller rim, you are putting the rim in more peril closer to the road, debris, and curbs, and are drastically decreasing the amount of sidewall; which also now has less surface area to dissipate heat.