Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
4500# boat tow Vehicle...Nissan Titan or Duramax? >

4500# boat tow Vehicle...Nissan Titan or Duramax?

Notices

4500# boat tow Vehicle...Nissan Titan or Duramax?

Old 06-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4500# boat tow Vehicle...Nissan Titan or Duramax?

I am looking to upgrade the tow vehicle for my 4500lb boat and have have it narrowed down to a Nissan Titan or a 2500 Duramax. I currently have a F150 and it is just gutless. (has the smaller V8). The Ford has not exactly been trouble free...bought it used with lots of miles, please lets not start a Chevy/Ford etc. war. Anyhow, the diesel is more truck then I need, but you can never have to much truck...right? One concern I have a is my office only 3 miles from my house and worry somewhat about the everyday short trips on a diesel. With the price of gas I can get more (nicer bells and whistles) with the Titan but I don't love the fit and finish of it ........

Any advice?

Last edited by happy hours; 06-09-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd get the diesel. What happens when you get a bigger boat? You will be glad you already have the bigger truck.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Registered

I bought a 2007 Titan in February and love it. It tows my 24' Superboat SOOO much better than my 05 F150 did. Pulls better, is more stable at speed, reaches speed better, and stops better. It is a whole bunch more truck. I bought mine because I know it will pull my current boat and will pull the next one (Y2K). If you think you'll be upgrading in the near future to something outside its towing range, then get the diesel. If you think you're set for a while, the Titan will do a great job.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Define 4500 lbs. boat please.

4500 lbs. dry boat?
or
4500 lbs. including trailer, full fuel tank (6 lbs./gallon), full water tank (if equiped, 8 lbs./gallon), anchors, tools, gear, coolers, spare tire, etc. etc. ???

It adds up VERY quickly.

Get the Diesel and don't look back.

Right now, diesel is less than regular gas, and you get better mileage with the diesel anyhow.

Don't worry about the short trips on the diesel. Go ahead and get an alarm with Remote Start and Turbo Timer, which will allow for proper start up and cool down. AND/OR just go buy a $800 4-cylinder beater to drive back and forth to the office.

There is no such thing as too much truck, and when that sweet deal comes along on the next boat, that you can't pass up--you will have enough truck to tow it without having to weigh that into the boat upgrade equation.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Registered

Red face

It is a 4500llbs gross. (I am guessing, I think boat is 3100 dry). It is small 21 ft bowrider on tandem trailer.
I don't think we will upgrade boat in the near future, we just spent our 2 ft-itis on a pool last summer.

I thought about a beater and actually owned a beater before the current truck but parking it my house is somewhat an issue. I never thought about remote start and that would work, but is a added PITA. I borrowed a 3500 CC dully duramax a couple summers ago and towed boat to the keys so I am well aware how nicely it pulls..a sweet ride for sure.

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Define 4500 lbs. boat please.

4500 lbs. dry boat?
or
4500 lbs. including trailer, full fuel tank (6 lbs./gallon), full water tank (if equiped, 8 lbs./gallon), anchors, tools, gear, coolers, spare tire, etc. etc. ???

It adds up VERY quickly.

Get the Diesel and don't look back.

Right now, diesel is less than regular gas, and you get better mileage with the diesel anyhow.

Don't worry about the short trips on the diesel. Go ahead and get an alarm with Remote Start and Turbo Timer, which will allow for proper start up and cool down. AND/OR just go buy a $800 4-cylinder beater to drive back and forth to the office.

There is no such thing as too much truck, and when that sweet deal comes along on the next boat, that you can't pass up--you will have enough truck to tow it without having to weigh that into the boat upgrade equation.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:27 AM

Either will do it easily but can't beat the deisel. I have a buddy with a titan and it is a towing machine. It tows much better than his old 2500hd with a 6.0l gas motor, and better than my navigator.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

If you are buying both new, there will be a 15-20K difference in price between the two. Don't think that kind of coin can be justified for a 4500 lb boat.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Registered

I drove both today and for about 5k less I can get a loaded Titan. I do love the torque of the duramax though.......decisions..decisions, but I am leaning towards new Titan. (The 08s are out and I can get a pretty good deal on a 07 with the incentives).
Old 06-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 05 Titan and I occasionally pull my 292 with it I am probably a little over 9000 lbs and it pulls it but you know its there.On a 21 ft boat you will not even feel it
I was going to get a dually if I step up to a 35 but now that I have a lift wont be towing it much so if I get something bigger will just have my marina tow it.Kinda glad because I really like my Titan
Old 06-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tow my Fountain (about 8000) with my Titan and it's brute. I am not buying bigger otherwise I would have went with a diesel. I used to tow around 4500 or so with the Titan and I didn't even know anything was back there. It really boils down to thinking ahead. If you get a diesel, then you're ready for just about any upsize. You just have to make the call on whether you want to spend the bucks on one.

Quick Reply: 4500# boat tow Vehicle...Nissan Titan or Duramax?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.