Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Jeep Death Wobble ???? Jeep Guru's Wanted !!! >

Jeep Death Wobble ???? Jeep Guru's Wanted !!!

Notices

Jeep Death Wobble ???? Jeep Guru's Wanted !!!

Old 07-15-2007, 12:46 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wardey
Hey Buck, BFG's had a bad run of tires about 3 years ago. Mostly with 33's and 35's where they were hard to balance.
It was actually about a year or so ago. I felt pretty dumb when I figured out what it was.

Rancho kept telling me I didn't have my pitman arm tight enough. Gave me some unreal torque spec like 900 ft lbs or something. Had to pull some strings to come up with that torque wrench. Had to put a 6' cheater bar on it just to get it to click at the recommended torque. Still didn't fix it. Rancho tech kept telling me that's what the problem was and it was my fault.

I know I was ready to kill someone before I got done. I had heard of it but never experienced it until then. I like to joke around more than the average person. I found NO humor in that ordeal.

Good luck, you'll need it.

Buck
Old 07-15-2007, 07:18 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JJONES
Are the wheels aftermarket?Ive seen this happen when the wheels are switched.Sometimes the new wheels arnt hub centric and use the lug nuts to center the wheel,othertimes just the other way,the wheels should center on the hub and they dont!Ive have also seen retaining washers on usualy two lug studs,these washers are sort of a clip that are put on at the factory during instulation so the rotors or drums dont slide off.The stock wheel has space to accept this but most aftermarket wheels,mainly aluminum dont,this causes the wheel to not sit flush on the hub and will cause a wobble.
hope this helps
I have dealt with this exact problem also. We made small spacers to make sure that the rims centered properly. There is NO WAY that you can get them to center properly with out them ie. just using the lug nuts.

Jon
Old 07-15-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like wardey said it is inherent in the design of the jeep suspension when you start lifting it.
If it does go away with weight in the back try putting in another 1/8" toe in. With the inverted y steering on jeeps lifting the front causes more toe in. That is a free fix if it works, just use a tape measure.
Second check to make sure the track bar bolts are TIGHT and the bushings/joints are in good condition. A good stiff trackbar makes a big difference too. JKS is probably the best out there.
Third try changing to a Old man Emu steering stabilizer. You wouldn't think they would be that much better than the big name junk but they are. Any changes you make can fix it even different shocks. You have to stop the harmonics in the susension that build into death wobble.
If none of that works I'll build you a kick ass Long arm setup and you will never look back

Worst scare I had was pulling my 32' boat trailer home from LOTO and geting a bad case of the wobble on I 70 during rush hour. You should have seen my passengers face!

Last edited by 320es; 07-15-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Registered

Thanks 320, Buck , and all. I have had enough !!!! Everything checks out ok, it goes away, we think it's correct, then it comes back !!! I'm ordering the Currie Heavy Duty Tie Rod system along with the Clayton Hard Arm suspension. I can't have him riding around in this shaker box !!!! Dave
Old 07-15-2007, 06:18 PM

Clayton makes a nice system. You won't regret it.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Registered

I had an 87 wrangler with Currie built Dana 44's on 38" Swapers with 4" leafs and an axle-over conversion and 3" body lift (with small block chevy drivetrain). It did pretty well at first, but as the tires wore, the "death wobble" got worse and worse (no steering stabilizer). The easy solution for me, was to put on an AGR "Rock Ram" system. This system consists of a modified steering box that gives you outputs for a hydraulic assist ram. The ram welds onto the front axle and takes care of any play in the steering system. It took care of the "death wobble" and later I moved up to 39.5" Iroks and still had no problems. You could turn lock-to-lock with just your finger tips at idle on pavement. Very good system and made street driving safe again. Worth every penny.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2000 Ford diesel van with the Quigley 4x4 kit on it. It had the same thing. It was fine to about 55 or 60. If I hit a bump in the road the "death wobble" would start. Very violent and scared the chit out of me. The only way to stop it was to pull over and start from a stop again. A friend was driving me home (too many drinks) and he tried to drive through it but it just got much worse. After replacing pretty much the whole front end, including tires. A guy at Quigley e-mailed me and told me to replace the Track bar bushings. I did with poly energy bushings and never had the problem again. A $15 fix.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I've done some Clayton long arm installs. Top quality stuff.

Try here too:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/index.php
Attached Thumbnails Jeep Death Wobble ???? Jeep Guru's Wanted !!!-154-5445_img.jpg   Jeep Death Wobble ???? Jeep Guru's Wanted !!!-154-5468_img.jpg  
Old 07-16-2007, 01:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Go back to the basics, is your drive shaft out of balanc? Did you check pinion angles? Bushings? I had the same thing with my excursion. They checked everything and said it was all good. Well the carden joint binded and broke the transfer case adapter plate. Replaced adapter plate and both driveshafts and no more wobble. It appears that the carden joint or u-joint was bad. Good luck, kind of like chasing your own tail.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Registered

Nice Rig Baja !!!

Aqua, This thing feels like someone grabs the steering wheel and jerks it back and forth as fast as they can. I'm not kidding, IT'S VIOLENT !!! Feel's like the front end is going to come out from under you. Only at the 40-45 mph range. It's in the front end not the drive line, i'm almost positive.

Dave

Quick Reply: Jeep Death Wobble ???? Jeep Guru's Wanted !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.