Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
First post, first boat, tow questions... ! >

First post, first boat, tow questions... !

Notices

First post, first boat, tow questions... !

Old 07-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post, first boat, tow questions... !

Hello! Looks like a great forum.

I have a pretty simple question, but with some depth based on the situation.

My friend and I are buying a boat (cow?) together. We're looking at 27-31 foot Fountain center consoles.

He has a F-250 PSD and a lot of experience towing/driving big and long stuff.

I have an Expedition with the 5.4L engine, rated to tow 9000 lbs.

I don't *need* to be able to tow the boat, but I'm wondering what the normal limit of an Expedition is considered to be.

I'm not planning to tow much, if ever - but if I find myself in a situation where I can't borrow his truck, can the Expy hand a 27... 29... etc?

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2007, 09:54 AM
Registered

Where are you towing? Flat or hills? I'd think you'd be fine with a boat in teh 27-29' range, may have to beef up your rear suspension. Anything bigger, might be a problem. This is just guessing as you don't have any specific specs on the boat. Remember, boat weight is dry weight. You have to add for fuel, gear, etc. Then add the trailer weight. In my opinion, if a truck tow rating is 9000lbs, again my opinion only, I'd take 1-2k off that rating. Now, I live in a hilly area. I used a yukon to tow a 26' boat and it didn't take me long to order up a bigger stiffer truck. Again, I'm in hilly areas and coming down the hill braking, I could feel the truck twisting under the weight of the boat and the trailer had tandem disk brakes. It did the job, just wasn't comfortable with it. Now, same rig down South on the flats.... No problem... Didn't specifically answer your question, but hope the info helps!
Old 07-21-2007, 10:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It depends on your Expedition's equipment but ballpark you're at or over it's max towing capability. The F250 would do the job well.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Registered

The Expedition and Lincoln old style Navi's shared the same platform and almost the same body. I know this cause my 98' Navi needed a driver's door and an Expidition was the donor!

My question then would be; does the Expedition also share the air ride suspension of the Navi? If the answer is yes (cant remember if they do), then would be concerned about putting the strain of the tongue weight on the rear, when it self levels under this load; maybe it can take it, but thats going to wear the suspension. Not a good bill to repair these supensions, I would defiently look into an F250 PSD, if it was me and it does have the air ride.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Registered

Buy a Duramax/Allison 2500HD. Then you're in business.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:58 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies! I'm in southern Louisiana, so we are flat as a board. NO hills. On/off ramp for the interstate it the most elevation I'll see.

I have a 5.4 Eddie Bausr with the AWD/4WD and Advanctrac... don't know about the rest, but I'll find out.

Sounds like, bottom line, in a pinch the Expy could work.

In reality, the Expy is the wife's - I drive a BMW sedan that isn't hauling anything other than ass I know she doesn't want to drive an F-250, and niether do I.

Bottom line - sounds like on flat land, it sounds like I should be able to safely tow 7500-8000 lbs on a good trailer IF push comes to shove a couple times a year.

About right?

Thanks again!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds about right. But be careful and slow.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Registered

No worries there. I'll be that slow guy with the boat
Old 07-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Registered

Pangris,

I haul nothing with my 2006 330i either! Oh yes, except ass But I'm in the market for a truck to tow my 5500 lb 28 Wellcraft, add 700lb for fuel, 1100 for trailer, 200 for gear and I guess I need to be prepared to tow 7500lb. After seeing a local guy towing a 10,000lb Baja 38 special with a 1/2 ton Chevy Avalanche (he said he'd never had problems, but always used 4WD low on the ramp) I'm thinking you and I would be just fine using 1/2 ton truck or expedition/tahoe. Not too many hills where I'm from in Richmond, VA either.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Registered

I have a fountain 47 and i am trying to decide whether to purchase a new for f450 pickup or a heavy duty truck. The boat and trailer together weigh about 20k dry weight. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: First post, first boat, tow questions... !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.