Notices

New or Used?

Old 07-31-2007, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New or Used?

I'm learning all the time on this site, but I don't want to overlook an important part, the trailer. I have yet to purchase a boat but if I do and it does not come with a trailer, what is the best course? I would like to go used, the boat will be 28-31 ft. But I am clueless as to where to purchase a used one and what to look for. I don't have to drive far, about a 1/4 mile max unless I want to go up to Texoma or out of state. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Registered

I looked high and low for a used trailer and couldnt find ****. Ended up buying a new Loadmaster (port clinton) and other than some cheap tire issues ive had zero problems with it, and Ive put A LOT! of miles on it.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by THRILLSEEKER
I looked high and low for a used trailer and couldnt find ****. Ended up buying a new Loadmaster (port clinton) and other than some cheap tire issues ive had zero problems with it, and Ive put A LOT! of miles on it.
must have gotten maypops
Old 07-31-2007, 10:15 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

There is not a huge market for used trailers. Boats usually outlast trailers; especially steel ones.

Trailers are a lot more important that most people think. Your trailer has to be sound to handle the load you are placing on it, and it has to be properly configured to support your hull. You are going to be better off purchasing a new trailer. This way don't have to worry about someone else's problematic trailer.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:25 AM
Registered

Guess I was lucky. Found a used Myco on E-Bay, used to hold a 38 Cig. Now holds my 34SS. New rims, tires, LED's all around, brakes...etc.. $4200,- Works like a champ. I modified the front a bit so I got the right tounge weight, and also added a ladder up there. It was even in the right color. There is used good trailers out there but they are few and far between. Check US Auctions as well, I have seen a few good ones there.

Last edited by Kims; 09-24-2007 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:45 AM
Registered

I just priced a trailer out at Loadmaster out of OH for a 28' they were about $4,200 bucks. They also mentioned they are now exclusively using Goodyear tires. I have one that is about 8 years old, and my only complaint is the paint is fading (Blue) I would see if you could get an upgraded paint at time of purchase.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Registered

Just Got Back From Fla With My Loadmaster Trl Purchased In Port Clinton. Great Trailer And People. Built The Trailer The Way I Wanted And Delivered As Scheduled.