Notices

need trailer cleaning help?

Old 08-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Emerlad Coast PwrBt club
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need trailer cleaning help?

I have a 06 Hi-Tech alum. trailer that looks like its 2-3 yrs old, real dirty looking and has a bunch of brown/black marks. Would like to clean the trailer up and try to make it look new again.. I launch my boat in brackish/salt water so im guessing thats where all the grime is coming from..

is there anything out there that will clean it up and not hurt the boat or trailer, i would like to keep it looking somewhat new?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

It sounds crazy, but I have seen a few people clean aluminum trailers (rub with the grain) with soapy steel wool pads like Brillo or SOS. I don't know if it will hurt the aluminum or not, but it cleaned the trailer and made it shine.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Registered

Try Eagle one aluminum wheel cleaner. Don't get the one for coated wheels use the one that has acid and is for uncoated wheels works great spray it on and hose it off.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:48 AM
Auto Sales & Leasing
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rittsbaja25
I have a 06 Hi-Tech alum. trailer that looks like its 2-3 yrs old, real dirty looking and has a bunch of brown/black marks. Would like to clean the trailer up and try to make it look new again.. I launch my boat in brackish/salt water so im guessing thats where all the grime is coming from..

is there anything out there that will clean it up and not hurt the boat or trailer, i would like to keep it looking somewhat new?
Where are you located? I have a 5 gallon container with aluminum brightner in it. I used to use it on my Tri-Axle Dump Truck bodies. Spray it on with 2 gallon garden sprayer and then pressure wash it off. They came up like new. If you're nearby, I'll give you some. If not, try a truck stop and just look for aluminum brightner, cleaner or something like it. Truckers use it for their wheels, fuel tanks, bodies, etc.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:14 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Duck
It sounds crazy, but I have seen a few people clean aluminum trailers (rub with the grain) with soapy steel wool pads like Brillo or SOS. I don't know if it will hurt the aluminum or not, but it cleaned the trailer and made it shine.
It's not crazy, I turned my crummy old looking South Florida trailer into a new looking one with that very method. Soapy Brillo works great. MAKE SURE YOU GO WITH THE GRAIN, longitudinally or you're screwed. It takes some elbow grease and time but the results are worth it. Follow up with the Leverage Metal Serum polish by Marine Clean and you're good to go. OSO member JROMY picked the boat up with me when I bought it last year and saw the trailer then, he again saw it the other night and thought I bought a new trailer LOL!!!

Check out post #29 from this thread. The pics didn't turn out great but the trailer sure did!!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ht=metal+serum

Looks like Rocky's method would be easier although I haven't tried it, might try that first, your arms will definitely be tired after doing it my way!

Last edited by Indy; 08-03-2007 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:14 AM
Registered

Automotive detail suppliers will have it, too. That's where I've gotten mine.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Registered

I use a soapy brillo pad with the grain - works great.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I have foung dish soap applied generously/often on a scotch-brite pad -rinsing right behind (as in keep the pad wet) is less agrresive than brillo and scratches less. Worked very well on both my aluminum boat trailer I had for 7 years, and my Triton sled trailer.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Registered

What about something like a pontoon boat cleaner? I know it's hydrochloric acid, so nasty stuff. But which acid is in aluminum brightener?
And then once it's shiny, how do you keep it that way, specially in salt water? Would a coat of off the shelf clear coat be worth anything?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Registered

Phosporic acid in aluminum brightner. Much safer than hydrochloric or hydroflouric and etc.
You got some good feedback on the posts above.
You are welcome to give a call and I'll be happy walk ya through the rest.
Dan Dillon
Dillon Chemical

Quick Reply: need trailer cleaning help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.