Notices

Gooseneck Bed Clearance

Old 08-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be nervous with just 6-8" clearance for if you turn around front wheel dips it tagged. Been there done that and got fired when i was younger!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Duck
I thought about that and have the adjustment room on the coupler, but I am trying to keep the trailer lever so that the load is evenly distributed over all three axles. Running with the front of the trailer higher than the rear will put a lot more weight and stress on the rear axle.
There is also the option that (with the boat on) you set up the trailer "level", measure the distance to the bottom of the frame where all three sets of your shackles are. Then raise/set up the trailer so you have the clearance you want over your truck bed. Re-measure the distances and make new shackles the appropriate lengths to have the boat load each of the axles evenly at that attitude. I would bet that as far back as your axles are there isn't more than a quarter inch or so difference in the new measurements. You may lose a very small amount of rear axle pivot, but it won't be very noticable if the length difference is only +/- 1/4". As long as you store your boat wit hthe trailer at the same attitude when it's not on the truck, you shouldn't be adding any additional stress to anything. Of course I'd call Myco and get their take on this after you get your measurements, but I bet there's not that much difference when all is said and done. Good luck!: By the way-SWEET boat!
Old 08-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
They make low profile pickup beds for the F-450s and F-650s. They look like regular beds, but they have the side walls cut down about 8-12 inches; specifically to solve your issue.
Oh yeah, I've seen those!

Good thinkin' Sydwayz!
Old 08-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

There is an air bag assembly available that replaces the existing coupler. The assembly has a latch below the bags,otherwise the new coupler tube can be vertically adjusted,same as your present coupler.

The air bag coupler is said to improve ride and dampen "kick".

As said here earlier,subject to Myco's blessings,set the bottom of the gooseneck rails 10 to 12" above the truck box....Then with the boat on the trailer and the trailer on the truck,find the margin measurement required to bring the trailer rails level.(one method is to use a transit)

When the margin is known, longer spring hangers can be used to replace the existing hangers....Myco may suggest using a rectangular or square tube between the frame rails and existing hangers.(I would suggest one continuous tube 6" past both extreme hangers )

The down side is,there will probably be some paint work and possibly a small difference in loading and unloading....That is if the boat is floated on and off.... There will also be a margin change between the fender and tires. However,that would allow for larger tires or larger tires and wheels....Were you to consider larger tires the increased radius would be subtracted from the NEW hanger Ht.....Good Luck!!

Should you decide to sell your Pete,I might be interested.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPD Motorsports
I would be nervous with just 6-8" clearance for if you turn around front wheel dips it tagged. Been there done that and got fired when i was younger!
That is with the tail gate down in a turn. Plenty of clearance with it up.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Registered

I have spoken to Myco about my tandem dually trailer for my 47 fountain and have found that they are reluctant to modify custom trailers. The trailer is excellent and tows very smoothly but I was interested in a few minor modifications and they referred me to another company which was a waste of time. I think an option that would allow you to avoid significant bed modifications and expense and still allow you to use your daily driver to tow your boat would be an air ride fifth wheel with frame rail compressor such that you could easily raise the front of the trailer to launch but return to level and even axle weight distribution while on the road. Based on the low expense of putting a compressor that adjusts the height of the hitch ( similar to adjusting aftermarket air bags on the rear axle of a tow vehicle) this may be a better choice than expensive and extensive modifications of your tow vehicle or trailer.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Registered

Have you towed it with the f450 yet?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Registered

Trying to remember but with my 40' flat bed I use for towing my play toys I only have about 8" from the top of the bed. In the back I can have my tailgate down and hook up but i wouldn't turn. In the 5 years i have had the thing never once hit the bed. I also go in out of mud pits where the road in is never level. Though i am not backing down a ramp. Why not put the boat in the water with the pet. then hook up to the new truck and drive it around and see what it does.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I may have found the solution. I found a hauler bed that has some of the function of a pickup bed as well. There are a lot of nice hauler bodies out there, but not many have any depth to them at all. This bed is supposed to be a direct bolt on replacement for the factory bed. I filled out the form to have the company contact me. We'll see what they have to say.

http://www.dixiecustomtrucks.com/def...&showsite=true
Attached Thumbnails Gooseneck Bed Clearance-1001.jpg   Gooseneck Bed Clearance-1002.jpg   Gooseneck Bed Clearance-1003.jpg