Notices

need a bigger work truck

Old 10-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default need a bigger work truck

My company is looking at purchasing a larger truck. We currently run F-550's with flatbeds and liftgates. With the weight of the bed, truck, fuel and driver, Im only allowed 9000lbs on the truck. Id like to be able to get into a truck that can hold 19,000 in the bed. Im looking at the F750's and the Freightliner Businessclass M series.

Does anyone have any experience or advice with these? Or maybe some more options to consider besides these two brands?

All local deliveries, no OTR but its all in 275 gallon totes and 575 gallon supertotes so its heavy stuff.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We jumped up to Peterbilts here...

Although we have a crain, gen & welder on all units... I believe they liscense them at 55K.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Registered

do you have the class 6 peterbilts?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
My company is looking at purchasing a larger truck. We currently run F-550's with flatbeds and liftgates. With the weight of the bed, truck, fuel and driver, Im only allowed 9000lbs on the truck. Id like to be able to get into a truck that can hold 19,000 in the bed. Im looking at the F750's and the Freightliner Businessclass M series.

Does anyone have any experience or advice with these? Or maybe some more options to consider besides these two brands?

All local deliveries, no OTR but its all in 275 gallon totes and 575 gallon supertotes so its heavy stuff.
There all made from pretty much the same components underneath. Rockwell, Fuller, Allison, Cat/Cummins/etc. The frames, shocks tanks and everything else are all somewhat interchangeable. Buying from a real truck company gets you 24/7/365 parts & service that you won't get from Ford or GM. I don't like the low headroom of the Ford or GM cab- especially if you're bouncing around on an airride seat. International isn't in the best shape right now and I'm not thrilled with their engine selections anyway. I like the Freightliner for a company truck. The Pete & KW are nicer but for a company truck, do you really need that?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Registered

Id really prefer to keep it simple. My guys dont really need anything that nice inside. Hauling chemicals usually stains the interiors out completely and they work in inclimate conditions..
I cant seem to find anything on their sites about payload, they have axle ratings. So how much can i put on a truck that has an 11k front axle and a 33k rear axle. Im just learning all this, tryin to make a good decision before hand instead of after..
Old 10-02-2007, 07:25 AM

Trucks aren't rated like cars- you get those axle ratings and you do the math. If your drivers are CDL holders, you can get trucks rated over 26,001#. If not, they need to be 26K or kess. Take the truck's net weight (12 to 13K) and subtract what the bed or box will weigh and what you have left is what you can put on the back. To get that kind of weight on the back, you're probably looking at a tandem rear. Otherwise, you'll be right at the top end of capacity. Downhills and panic stops get pretty interesting in a medium at max weight.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

How about the International RXT or CXT

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Wally
How about the International RXT or CXT
Kind of hard to put 19K# in an 8' pickup bed.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

true...but i'm sure you can get one with a flat bed conversion...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Kind of hard to put 19K# in an 8' pickup bed.

Hard but not impossible..........
Attached Thumbnails need a bigger work truck-137vday.jpg  

Quick Reply: need a bigger work truck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.