Notices

'05 Excursion w/diesel??

Old 10-23-2007, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Excursion w/diesel??

Does anyone know anything about this combo? This truck has 32K miles and is the Limited Ed. 4x4 model. Price is $36.5K. Thanks for any input.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Registered

Hard to find. Very desirable truck, they still bring big money. Not as heavy duty for towing, load, etc as the super duty. I remember going to the west michigan auto auction in 2002 when they couldn't give them away. 2002 low mile trucks wouldn't bring 20K, wow times have changed. 36.5K is way steep IMHOP.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

mwdill has had he same truck for a couple years, and is happy with it.

The early 03/04 6.0L PSD issues were worked out by the 06 MY, so you have no concerns there. Excursions never really held their price very well on the used market, so the asking price seems pretty strong to me.

I always check eBay.com, Edmunds.com, autotrader.com, nada.com, kbb.com, and cars.com, when buying ANY automobile; just to price compare and be prepared to offer/spend the right amount compared to what everyone else is asking/spending in today's market.

Will it be enough to tow the boat you have listed under your name? Yes. Do you want to buy it to expertly/overkill tow your 11-12K (total) lbs. next boat purchase? No.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an '03 and an '05. Minor warranty stuff on the '03- glow plugs, fuel pump, oil leak. Nothing on the '05. Both have the superduty suspension conversion which eliminated highway wander and gives you room for 35" tires.

Love 'em. If Ford reintroduced them for '08, I'd order two thie afternoon.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Registered

Bone stock 05 w 75K miles towing my 32 Activator. Dont know its there. No problems whatsoever.

Tried towing a 35 Cafe and it was a nightmare. Would need serious upgrades to tow a Cafe and not worth it. Next one will be a 450 dually.
Attached Thumbnails '05 Excursion w/diesel??-ssssa.jpg  
Old 10-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Love 'em. If Ford reintroduced them for '08, I'd order two thie afternoon.
Agree...... I had an 02 LTD. Sold it, bought a Nissan Titan that lasted two weeks. Took it back and got my current 04 Eddie edition. I'm reluctant to sell/replace it cause cant find anything that can.

One issue. EGR valve gets gummed up. Disconnected it over a year ago and have had no other hassle issue's. I'll also bet for the year I'm one of the highest miles driven Excursions on this or any site! Almost 200K on the od. Minor issue with AC and dash not working bad ground. I've driven it from Seattle to LA more then a few times.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Registered

Had a 2004 limited excursion diesel loaded with every option plus a lot of aftermarket add-ons. I test drove the new f450 and it is much quieter, smoother, and more maneuverable. It also has much better emissons. The excursion got 14.3 mpg stock which increased to about 16-17 with aftermarket intake, manifolds, and chip (combined, not towing). I had to replace the injectors early (under warranty) and seemed like it needed it again at around 70K. It had 2 recalls (reverse gear and turn signal). Decent vehicle other than that but completely blown away by the new motor on noise alone.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain 47 sc
I had to replace the injectors early (under warranty) and seemed like it needed it again at around 70K. .
I got the tip from someone at OSO. Thanks again! EGR valve on early 6.0PSD caused: a vacuum leak like condition, leading to inefficient combustion, rough idling, hesitation, and sometimes stalling, with big clouds of black smoke. Once disconnected, I've never had a problem. Ford has redesigned the valves according to my dealer. A lot of the time's dealers would turn those symptoms into blown turbo's and injectors needing replacement, etc. Easy and cheap fix is disconnect EGR valve. And I've never had problem's again!
Old 10-24-2007, 08:02 AM

Default '05 Excusion

Thanks for all you input. Been reading these posts and they have really helped with my search. Sydwayz, you hit the nail right on the head. This purchase is just the precursor to a bigger boat. I have a 1500 silverado pulling my Challanger and it's just not enough. It's ok around middle TN, but try to go to East TN and it's up and down shifting all the way. Tranny won't last long.
Anyway. Thanks to all who responded. If any OSO member is a dealer in this area (Middle TN), let me know. Ken
Old 10-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still curious why no one has stepped in to fill the spot of a diesel powered big SUV.

Chevy was rumored to be putting the duramax into the suburban in 09, but then changed their minds. Apparently the extra 2 inches of body lift needed would have been too much for their "intended market". Their trucks are too low to begin with!

The diesel Ex is a great truck, and makes perfect sense for a family that wants to haul a heavy boat, kids, lots of luggage and or pets.

Quick Reply: '05 Excursion w/diesel??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.