Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Towing 15,000 # boats and truck ratings >

Towing 15,000 # boats and truck ratings

Notices

Towing 15,000 # boats and truck ratings

Old 12-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
No, seriously. For around town or short distances, I was pleasantly surprised. It's within the weight rating. I wouldn't want to do a cross-country haul with is but it's not as unpleasant as you might suspect.

There's no way I'd do anythging beyond moving it across the yard at the shop with no bags or bars.
Isn't the dry weight on that boat almost 10K? That only leaves 1K for trailer, supplies, and fuel.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Registered

looking for a WD hith for my EX, are there any that are better than the next?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by mwdill
Will, I have two in the Toy Box. One is mine, and one is here as I am babysitting a boat/trailer that it belongs to for a while.

This one is mine, and worked well for my application:
http://www.etrailer.com/pc-WD~66022.htm

This one is not mine, but I have it for a while:
http://www.etrailer.com/pc-WD~66067.htm

Neither are for sale, but you are welcome to try if you need.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pookie
Isn't the dry weight on that boat almost 10K? That only leaves 1K for trailer, supplies, and fuel.
No, It's lighter than that- and it's stripped out inside- a project
Old 12-01-2007, 04:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mwdill
No, but some are more expensive. I got mine at Summit Racing- it's a Curt, Half the price of a Reese at the local trailer dealer.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Registered

I had my boat towed once by a professional boat hauler. He recommended an F350 dually. He said it would be legal for me but NOT for him. He inferred that his CDL required the truck to be properly equipped for the job.[/QUOTE]

There are 2 standards for towing/hauling. The keyword is commercial. For instance: You can take a bus/motorhome and pull the world behind it, and because its recreational you don't have any special requirements and are treated like any other motorist. You can take the same bus and put a decal on the side that says Offshore Racing XYZ or anything else that has commercial implications, and it becomes commercial and you fall under a whole new set of rules, with cdl requirements, special license plates, weight requirements, etc., the list goes on and on and they enforce this to the letter.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Registered

I've been towing my new Cig 35 with my wife's Excursion. It has the stock hitch, unlike mine. It has Firestone airbags, Hellwig bars, Edelbrock shocks and a WD hitch setup. With the shocks at minimum pressure and the WD off, there's no way you could tow with it. With the bags pumped up and the WD on, it sits and rides perfectly level. Even over big dips at highway speeds, the thing rides and tracks like the boat and trailer are welded together into one unit. The nose of the truck never rises.
I can testify to that. Pulled my 34 Scarab from Baltimore to Vegas with one of those Excursions, far better towing than my Suburban. I have been looking for an Excursion ever since, but they will cost me another $15K on top of the Sub so I just have to go easy.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Registered

I have to admit, I towed my boat out of a steep ramp and short distances a few times with my excursion (mods and airbags) and it did tow fairly well, but I wouldn't have towed with it at speed or over distances on public roads because of the liability (WAY over the tow limit).
Old 12-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Registered

Super singles cost less than a pair of traction tires. As they become more common, the price should drop further. Truck tires are becoming progressively more reliable so having the backup tire on the axle is of less concern.
You are mistaken sir. The reason these tires are going on is for one purpose and one purpose only the weight. As for cost they are a boat load of money. The rims run around 500 600 the tires are the same cost as the rim. The problem is the break down time if one goes you are screwed. Allot of the fleets are getting rid of them due to down time. Ie tow charge or time along the side of the road. They also suck in the snow.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by satisfied1
You are mistaken sir. The reason these tires are going on is for one purpose and one purpose only the weight. As for cost they are a boat load of money. The rims run around 500 600 the tires are the same cost as the rim. The problem is the break down time if one goes you are screwed. Allot of the fleets are getting rid of them due to down time. Ie tow charge or time along the side of the road. They also suck in the snow.
I run a trucking company but have not converted to the big tires on the traction axles, have used them on steering axles for years and the reason is floatation when you go off the pavement not weight as far as the steering goes. Based on your figures 1 of those costs about the same as 2 of the conventional tires and wheels that they replace, so that's a wash. In my area they are using them on the all wheel drive cement mixer trucks and that's about it. Time and place for everything.

Quick Reply: Towing 15,000 # boats and truck ratings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.