Notices

Dodge 6.7

Old 11-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what do you think about the 2500 SRW getting about 18 MPG when at like 50k miles? Do you think that's feasible or not realistic?

Originally Posted by OSO
20k miles on the OSO 6.7 dually and love the truck. This is my third Dodge diesel and I think they get better with time.

I just did the recal on the sensor but it never acted up for me. There were some other recalls that effected some of the diesels but mine was not part of that so others that are having problem migh have had a different batch of motor than mine.

The diesel mechanic at the dealer gave me a long lesson on the do's and dont's with the new low emmissions motors. DO NOT idle them for long periods of time!! DO NOT ever run farm or marine gas in them!!

The truck has no mods, we do all the routine maintenance, and we don't do 0-60 time trials when pulling 15k loads.

OSO has owned a Ford, a Chevy, and three Dodges. The Dodge/Cummins is my workhorse of choice. The others like to visit the service advisor at the dealership too often.

I opted for the 3.73. gears instead of the 4.10 because we do so much highway traveling. We get 10-12 city and 15-16 highway. I would not base a purchase on that if you are using it as a truck you are gonna work.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:10 PM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

The word from Cummins is that the 6.7 is supposed to be the most fuel efficient Cummins ever made. I know a few 12 and 24 valve owners that would agrue that point but the big issue is that as a Cummins gets more miles, it tends to loosen up and provide better fuel economy. The owners of 6.7 trucks are just now getting some miles on them so time will tell.

My 5.9 3500 6-speed 4wd Quad Cab averaged 17mpg (hand calculated) down to Athens GA and back last weekend and I am very happy with that.

You should not let any diesel idle for long periods of time. In the winter, all you need to do is wait for the oil pressure to build, then get on down the road. As a rule of thumb I try to keep it under 2000 RPM till the motor warms up to operating temp. Many of the computer controled diesels will adjust idle up to 1000rpm if left at idle under 40 degrees. The real problem with idling a diesel in cold temps is that too much idling can cause cylinder washdown and injectors coking. Clogged injectors and fuel in the oil are not good things.

A good place for Cummins info is the Turbodieselregister.com

Should be able to answer any question you have there.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Racerngr1
So what do you think about the 2500 SRW getting about 18 MPG when at like 50k miles? Do you think that's feasible or not realistic?
Racegirl, I am getting that now@ 17K miles in a 2500 4x4. The mileage has been steadily going up as the motor breaks in. I average about 18 mpg. I do a lot of highway driving. I think you would probably do that or better by 50K. 50K is nothing to these engines and it is not even broken in.

gerritm
Old 12-01-2007, 12:20 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by OSO
DO NOT idle them for long periods of time!!
You have to enable the high idle feature or install one if you dont already have it.....thats the only way you can leave these motors idle for extended periods. Most of the new auto dodges let you do it by activating and setting accelerate on the cruise control while in park. Raises the idle to 1100 rpms. More accelerate will bring it up to a max of 1500rpms, 100rpm at a time. Other than that just ask your mechanic about it. Cheers.

Last edited by tblrklakemo; 12-01-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Registered

It takes about 80,000 miles to break a Cummins in. The 6.7 is not getting as good of mileage as the 5.9 did right out of the gun. The problem is the restrictive nature of the BlueTec exhuast system. You can tweak your mileage a little if you use the autostick function on the 6spd auto trannies.

I haven't seen any of the trucks we've sold come back to have the canisters replaced. However we've brought back the earlier built ones for the ECM flash. It was rather interesting, when the problem first surfaced Dodge wouldn't let us flash the ECM until someone actually complained about it, this included the trucks sitting on the lot. I flew down to Knoxville, TN in August to pick up a 3500 Laramie 6spd Man Chassis Cab and the ESS light popped on not 10 miles out of town. They hadn't flashed it yet, but I did get great mileage out of the truck. Drove 758 miles on one tank had a 1/4 left, 52 gallons in the Chassis Cabs.

As for idling, those that said don't do it are correct. If you need to keep your cab warm, Dodge has a Cab Heater that runs off the tank and allows you to shut down the engine. These trucks aren't Semis, so if you're not going to run it, shut it down.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Break-Up
It takes about 80,000 miles to break a Cummins in. The 6.7 is not getting as good of mileage as the 5.9 did right out of the gun. The problem is the restrictive nature of the BlueTec exhuast system. You can tweak your mileage a little if you use the autostick function on the 6spd auto trannies.

I haven't seen any of the trucks we've sold come back to have the canisters replaced. However we've brought back the earlier built ones for the ECM flash. It was rather interesting, when the problem first surfaced Dodge wouldn't let us flash the ECM until someone actually complained about it, this included the trucks sitting on the lot. I flew down to Knoxville, TN in August to pick up a 3500 Laramie 6spd Man Chassis Cab and the ESS light popped on not 10 miles out of town. They hadn't flashed it yet, but I did get great mileage out of the truck. Drove 758 miles on one tank had a 1/4 left, 52 gallons in the Chassis Cabs.

As for idling, those that said don't do it are correct. If you need to keep your cab warm, Dodge has a Cab Heater that runs off the tank and allows you to shut down the engine. These trucks aren't Semis, so if you're not going to run it, shut it down.
What do you consider a long time? With the heat here is Texas I sometimes let it idle during lunch for 1/2 to 1 hour before taking off. Is that too long. I have had no issues with it so far.

Here is the only recall that I have had. Like I said I am averaging around 17 mpg right now with a lot of city driving.

EMISSIONS RECALL G30 - REPLACE THE OXYGEN SENSOR MODULE AND REPROGRAM THE ECM

Chrysler LLC has determined that some 2007 and 2008 model year Dodge Ram 2500/3500 trucks
equipped with a 6.7L diesel engine may not comply with Federal and California emissions regulations.

The problem is...
The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system on your truck (VIN: 1D7KS28A07J605593) may not detect a failed oxygen sensor or illuminate the Malfunction Indicator Light as required. In addition, the OBD system may cause your truck to fail an Inspection Maintenance (Readiness) test and may not store mileage as required for certain transmission faults.

What your dealer will do...
Chrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will replace the Oxygen Sensor Module and reprogram your truck's Engine Control Module.The new software will also improve vehicle driveability and reduce the potential for exhaust soot accumulation in your vehicle's particulate filter. The work will take about 1 hour to complete. However, additional time may be necessary depending on service schedules.

What you must do...
Simply contact your dealer right away to schedule a service appointment. Ask the dealer to hold the part for your vehicle or to order it before your appointment.

If you need help...
If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403.

California residents... The State of California requires the completion of emission recall repairs prior to vehicle registration renewal.Your dealer will provide you with a Vehicle Emission Recall Proof of Correction Form after the recall service is performed. Be sure to save this form since the California Department of Motor Vehicles may require that you supply it as proof that the recall has been performed.

If you have already experienced this condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may send your original receipts and/or other adequate proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement: Chrysler P.O. Box 4639 Oak Ridge, TN 37831, Attention: Reimbursement.

In order to ensure your full protection under the emission warranty provisions, it is recommended that you have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible. Failure to do so could legally be determined to be a lack of proper maintenance of your vehicle. Further, without this repair, your vehicle may fail a state or local emission inspection test.

We are sorry for any inconvenience but trust that you understand our interest in clean air. Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

Customer Services Field Operations
Chrysler LLC
Notification Code G30
Old 12-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Registered

The ECM update is not a recall, it is a service bulletin. If a truck comes in that has not been updated, service will then do the update.

As for idling, when you aren't driving shut it down. We've got a customer here that complains about the mileage on his 6.7L all the time. We connected his truck to the computer and for the life of the 38,000 miles he had driven, 49% of the time his engine was at idle. That is where his fuel economy went.

If you don't have a good reason for leaving your truck running then turn it off. If you need to idle the truck, don't do it much over 10 minutes. If you're in a cold weather situation, it's 10F out then you can idle it about 1/2 hour to get it warmed up when you first start it.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Registered

I've got an 07.5 2500 Megacab Laramie with the 6.7 auto, 4x4, loaded with every option. This is the best truck I have ever owned. I have just over 5000 miles on mine and once I go tthe G30 fix I am now seeing 13-14 around town (90% of driving under 40 miles per hour). On our last long trip I got 18.7mpg at an average of 70mph (hand calculated). It was a 300 mile trip one way. I was very pleased. This truck has luckily had zero issues. It said to change my oil at 3500 miles but the dealer said to reset it and bring it back sometime after the 5000 mile mark. It is now saying oil change required again.

I always hated Dodge before but became pretty enamored when they brought out the MegaCab (ManVan!!), now it's the best truck I've ever had.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Racerngr1
Does anybody have the new 6.7 diesel dodge? If you do have one, how do you like it and what kind of mileage are you getting from it?
Thanks,
James
The local dealer just dropped off this new 5500 today with the 6.7. I have no intentions on buying this particular truck but wanted to see how the 5500 with the 6.7 would drive and handle. If I buy one I plan on putting a hauler body on the back. I will tell you guys how the truck does at the end of the week. Here are some pics for now next to my f350 with the 6.0
Attached Thumbnails Dodge 6.7-100_4038.jpg   Dodge 6.7-100_4036.jpg   Dodge 6.7-100_4040.jpg  

Old 01-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My 07 3500DRW 6.7 just turned over 10K miles. I'm getting around 16-18miles per gallon around town. I have had the recall done. Have not had any problems what so ever.

Quick Reply: Dodge 6.7

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.