Notices

truck subwoofer question

Old 01-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts
Default truck subwoofer question

picked up a new still in the box 10" pioneer sub for $40 at a stereo shop blowout sale......had a 10" "truck" sub box kicking around at home......need an amp to power this thing......will probably screw it to the back of the sub box......what would be a reccomended amp output to power this thing?......the guy said 300 watts.........and how do channels figure into this?it does not have to be studio quality stuff as its for project bulletproof Suburban.......(1987) tow vehicle......It currently has a new JVC head unit with ipod adapter (super easy to operate compared to alot of them out there) ......4' Pioneer 2 ways up front and 3 way Pioneer 6x9s behind the 2nd row seats.......
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get on ebay and get a 1 or 2 channel and bridge it.

I wouldnt get Sony, everything that I have of theirs has blown up.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the bazooka stuff for the $$$
Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 AM
Registered

Depends what you want out of this sub. Do you wantit to sound good inside? Or do you just want it to pound out side so you get others attention?

I ask because you can go buy some chaep big power amp and go. Or if you want it to sound good inside, you need to make sure you can adjust and tune the sub fequency. Unsure if you deck has a sub control or not. If it doesn't you will want to be able to axcess the sub amp to play with it your self.

I'd go with at leat a 100 amp sub (50amp 2 channel bridged) , without knowing what power the rest of your system is.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:37 AM
Registered

there is no industry standard on watt rating you can buy a 1000 watt amp for $100 and a 50 watt amp for $500 the 50 watt will blow away the 1000 watt in my opinoin a clean powerfull sub amp will average about $1.25 a watt the type of box ( size and style , vented or not is a big factor) also how low hz. your music is comes into play big time on my 84 3/4 duelly 4wd I put a 12" vented box buy pro box mounted were the spare tire would normally go I you no spare a 35" tire will not fit so that location was perfact and out of the way and the bass has time to grow
Old 01-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts

thanks for the replies......I want it to sound good.....Im 45....I dont care about thumping around the hood' (LOL Jeff!)......the deck is a JVC KD-PDR50......its a 2007 model......I listen mostly to classic rock, no rap.....
the specs off the box are

2 line output(2.5v)/Sub W. Output
20w RMS x 4 (MOS-FET 50wx4 MAX)
24 bit DAC
3 band iEQ

hope that gives you what you need.........doug

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 01-17-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:36 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

quick question related to subs......how do the subs sound with XM radio going to them? Say, for instance, you were to listen to some bumps(rap).....CD's and ipods will pound, FM radio sucks, how does XM bass output compare? JL 12w3's x2
Old 01-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Registered

most cd's and some stations play with enhanced gain in sub thats most likely what your hearing . XM & Serius do the same on alot of stations. sub systems are a lot like hi po eng. you build the for the user and use everything should match for best perf.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:18 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by eliminatethis
most cd's and some stations play with enhanced gain in sub thats most likely what your hearing . XM & Serius do the same on alot of stations. sub systems are a lot like hi po eng. you build the for the user and use everything should match for best perf.

right....i just remember the last system i had would pound CD's. But now I mostly listen to XM and was just curious.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:09 AM
Registered

I have Sat radio, CD, and FM Radio. The CD is, and has always been, the strongest supply of clean music (in my history). Sat radio is second. Then regular FM.

Pullmytrigger, if you are running 50W X4 now, I would look for a middle of the road 100W amp for that sub. But like I asked before, does your deack have a seperate sub control? You are going to want to be able to adjust it to your liking. Because (and I am happy to read) you are looking for great sound, not to boom at a stop light for others to....enjoy....LOL ;-)

Quick Reply: truck subwoofer question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.