Notices

Mudslinger for WOBBLE!

Old 02-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Mudslinger for WOBBLE!

Hey Wobble, how do you think this will do down in some of your favorite texas holes? It is an 800 Renegade with suspension mods and 32" silverbacks. It hit the stock footwells, so I took them off and hand fabbed these out of aluminum. I can turn lock to lock with full suspension travel with no rubbing. I figured you would appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails Mudslinger for WOBBLE!-dsc01802-medium-.jpg   Mudslinger for WOBBLE!-dsc01806-medium-.jpg   Mudslinger for WOBBLE!-dsc01799-medium-.jpg  

Old 02-21-2008, 10:09 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice, we tried the 32's on outlander 800 with a programmer pipe , clutch kit and 4" lift, but found we were trashing belts in deep mud. We are looking into a different gearset for the transmission. Went back to 29.5 outlaws for the time being. We have had to replace almost every can-am spring due to sagging. Do the Renegades suffer from that?

Put a rhino gearset in my grizzly along with a big bore and raised compression. It does very well but it's no can-am.
To be honest I have only seen the renegades set up for fast trail riding, your setup looks interesting. We normally ride 2up Sundays as it's more a social event, Saturdays and Sat nights are for the hard core riding. Don't know if a renegade would handle 2 up.

Tried a rhino, but my 6'3" had a rough time, just about destroyed my knee on the engine cover/parking brake. I am always amazed where they will go. I would have to stretch one a couple of inches if I go that route. We have one in the group that runs reliably with water up to your shoulders.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I am running Crutchfield Racing Stage 2 shocks. They are completely adjustable on the preload. You can adjust on the fly if it is to stiff or soft. You can also adjust ride height about 2 inches. I can't say enough good about them. I am also running them on the outlander. He has a killer set up for the grizzly as well. I did not want to do a custom lift on this bike. The tires are so big, you need everybit of power......and as you know.....a jacked up driveline makes it even worse. I tried the 32's on the rhino. Worked great for riding around and intermediate trail use....but you can forget it in the mud....even with all the mods I have on mine. So, I went back to the 29.5 swamplites which it pulls great in any conditions. I don't think you would like the renegade for 2 up riding. The footwells I fabbed are 1 rider only. I wear a size 15 shoe and the footwell is just big enough for that. I am surprised you had size issues with the rhino.....I am a big dude too. What year was it? I know the new ones have a much larger e brake handle.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:34 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Crutchfield? I dont know them, but I haven't raced an atv since 1992 and at that time i was buying Ohlins. We need to find a good source of replacement springs for the 6 800 outlanders in our group if you know one. There seems to be something wrong with the stock ones, they all sag, allowing the bike to sit as much as two inches lower than they should.

The Rhino is an 08 I think, maybe an 07. The park brake would get moved if it was mine for sure. Every Rhino should be fitted with a chainsaw as they can get into 90% of the places a lifted and spaced grizzly will go. The other ten percent involve a lot of winching

Have you seen the new Kawasaki Teryx? looks like they spent a lot of time looking at the rhino. http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=262
Old 02-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Actually, you might recognize Crutchfield from your roundtrack stuff. That is what they do for a living. They started riding atv's.....thought they rode like chit and made a set of shocks from some stuff they had laying around. Everybody that rode his can am loved it....so he started making them. Now they are selling more of them than the race car stuff. He told me two weeks ago that he has sold over 1100 sets! We are all running them. At $1,195 for 4...they are alot cheaper than Elka's and work better for what we do...(I had Elka's on Debs 750 Brute Force). Here is a link.

http://aurorawheelers.com/Crutchfield/

Another upgrade I did was add precision steering stabilizers to both bikes. They are expensive at $475 but worth every penny if you ride fast from time to time. I am running a stock clutch right now. The renegade has a different sheave from an outlander. It allows the belt to ride higher for more top end. The renegade will hit 80mph with 26's on it. I have been running 27" big horns on bead locks and it has and endless supply of power with that set up. The right thumb is like a full time nitrous valve. This weekend will be the first time out on the 32's so I will see what breaks for sure. I am going to change the springs on the clutch and see what works best. Any reccomedations on clutch set up? Brand...etc? The stock BRP shocks suck and all the outlanders sag. The renegade was the roughest riding atv I have ever been on stock. It was valved to jump tabletop's evidently. The crutchfields make it not even seem like the same bike. It is now what I though I was getting when I bought it. Maybe the stockers would have worked great if you rode motocross tracks with it. I have to have a soft ride with my back. Send me a PM if you want Ed Crutchfields number. We have permanent campsites beside each other at Coal Creek. I did not know who he was at first....I saw he had cool shocks on his atv's......I started talking to him and he was telling me about his setup.....I said "how do your shocks compare to Crutchfield Racing Shocks" He looked at me funny and said "I am Crutchfield Racing"! .......and here's your sign. I admitted the dumbass move....but he got over it when Eric and I bought four complete stage 2 sets on our first order. We still laugh about that. l8tr!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I am still waiting to see the terex in person....I have been following it. I love the motor.....there is BIG potential in that mill at 900cc's with bigger jugs.....that is what we ended up doing on debs 750 and it would eat a can am up. My concern is the drivetrain on it. They used the cable locker from the BF....which I never did like. I think it is a little bigger than the rhino....I guess that is why it is not patent infringement.....cause they sure copied it to a T! What a huge compliment to Yamaha......why change what works right. I tried the Polaris RZR and I like the rhino better for what I do with it. If the terex holds up, I might get weak. I am also toying with putting an 800 outlander engine, tranny and electronics in the Rhino. I am trying to hold out till BRP releases a side by side.....whenever that happens. If I spend $5g's on a transplant, Can Am will release a kick azz 1000 side by side with a 10 year warranty the next day.....that is the way my luck goes.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:18 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by thunderusone
I am still waiting to see the terex in person....I have been following it. I love the motor.....there is BIG potential in that mill at 900cc's with bigger jugs.....that is what we ended up doing on debs 750 and it would eat a can am up. My concern is the drivetrain on it. They used the cable locker from the BF....which I never did like. I think it is a little bigger than the rhino....I guess that is why it is not patent infringement.....cause they sure copied it to a T! What a huge compliment to Yamaha......why change what works right. I tried the Polaris RZR and I like the rhino better for what I do with it. If the terex holds up, I might get weak. I am also toying with putting an 800 outlander engine, tranny and electronics in the Rhino. I am trying to hold out till BRP releases a side by side.....whenever that happens. If I spend $5g's on a transplant, Can Am will release a kick azz 1000 side by side with a 10 year warranty the next day.....that is the way my luck goes.
They had one at our local dealer for 3 days. You will find that it is a faithful reproduction of the rhino in many ways.

Rhino 660 engine is a little weak, however it is a roller bearing motor and extremely durable. I'll bet I have hydraulicked my engine and milked the oil 12 or more times. The 700 is plain bearing and no match for the Brute.

The Brute force is a plain bearing engine with good power. However don't milk one, and if you do don't run it. We have had to replace the rod bearings 3 times on my buddies brute force, he has milked the oil four times.

The can-am is also a plain bearing motor but the power potential is excellent as is their fuel injection. Just be sure to snorkel the intake, breather and exhaust.

I think the can-am motor would be an excellent match for the rhino.

Last edited by Wobble; 02-22-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:23 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by thunderusone
Actually, you might recognize Crutchfield from your roundtrack stuff. That is what they do for a living. They started riding atv's.....thought they rode like chit and made a set of shocks from some stuff they had laying around. Everybody that rode his can am loved it....so he started making them. Now they are selling more of them than the race car stuff. He told me two weeks ago that he has sold over 1100 sets! We are all running them. At $1,195 for 4...they are alot cheaper than Elka's and work better for what we do...(I had Elka's on Debs 750 Brute Force). Here is a link.

http://aurorawheelers.com/Crutchfield/

Another upgrade I did was add precision steering stabilizers to both bikes. They are expensive at $475 but worth every penny if you ride fast from time to time. I am running a stock clutch right now. The renegade has a different sheave from an outlander. It allows the belt to ride higher for more top end. The renegade will hit 80mph with 26's on it. I have been running 27" big horns on bead locks and it has and endless supply of power with that set up. The right thumb is like a full time nitrous valve. This weekend will be the first time out on the 32's so I will see what breaks for sure. I am going to change the springs on the clutch and see what works best. Any reccomedations on clutch set up? Brand...etc? The stock BRP shocks suck and all the outlanders sag. The renegade was the roughest riding atv I have ever been on stock. It was valved to jump tabletop's evidently. The crutchfields make it not even seem like the same bike. It is now what I though I was getting when I bought it. Maybe the stockers would have worked great if you rode motocross tracks with it. I have to have a soft ride with my back. Send me a PM if you want Ed Crutchfields number. We have permanent campsites beside each other at Coal Creek. I did not know who he was at first....I saw he had cool shocks on his atv's......I started talking to him and he was telling me about his setup.....I said "how do your shocks compare to Crutchfield Racing Shocks" He looked at me funny and said "I am Crutchfield Racing"! .......and here's your sign. I admitted the dumbass move....but he got over it when Eric and I bought four complete stage 2 sets on our first order. We still laugh about that. l8tr!
we have had one aftermarket clutch spring break after four rides cant remember the brand and I dont favor the clutch kit for 29.5 and smaller tires in any case. The can-am has a fairly abrupt take up and the kits make that worse. A smooth take up is nice to have in a tricky off-balance situation

I am getting an 09 can-am this fall and will check out crutchfield for the others in the meantime, thanks
Old 02-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Registered

That Can am is crazy...I have a king quad with 27 outlaw mst's and I have not really had to use the 4x4. I cant imagine what 32's would do. You guys must ride the chit out of them!
Old 02-22-2008, 07:41 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

It's a rare weekend that we don't break an axle, diff or engine. Frame repairs are common. It's a lot like having a high performance boat labor wise. But for the most part we can party, ride and cookout without breaking any laws.

There really isn't any other motorized activity that is so laid back and so much fun

Quick Reply: Mudslinger for WOBBLE!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.