Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project >

my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project

Notices

my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project

Old 11-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 007joe
Been following this project from the get go and its coming out insane! Any updates?
Thanks! Mounting the pedals, masters, rebuilding and plumbing the brakes, not too much to see really. Heres a shot of my front brake calipers though.
Attached Thumbnails my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-fall-2012-032-large-.jpg  
Old 01-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Registered

The bullet has arrived. 680hp 434 Dart Iron Eagle block, Callies crank, Crower shaft rockers, solid roller, Jesel belt drive .736 lift. 15 deg Nascar "Pontiac" heads. These were from back when Pontiacs and Buicks ran in Cup. Ive you had a chevy the heads say nothing, if you ran a Buick they would say Buick, ran Pontiac said Pontiac but were all the same chevy head. The SB2 replaced this engine. The clincher was 11.3:1 pump gas. Thing dynoed at 700 even with a 1050 Dominator ran a 3300 Iroc 9.40s last Sept shifting at 6800 off a brake. Estimate 680hp with a good 750dp. I'll change the pan to the Canton shown in the pic but will piece together a dry sump eventually. Bills show complete refresh last June , guy said 15 to 20 passes since. Should haul like a mofo I had to have it.
Attached Thumbnails my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-chevelle-project-vii-006-large-.jpg   my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-chevelle-project-vii-011-large-.jpg   my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-chevelle-project-vii-004-large-.jpg  

my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-chevelle-project-vii-010-large-.jpg  

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 01-22-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to be wicked when she's done. Real cool project
Old 05-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Registered

Found out the pan in the above pic wouldnt work as the Dart block is a "spread rail" design in the pan mating surfaces to accomodate the stroker crank. It also has the cam galley raised up in the block for the same reason. So I ended up having to get a special order roadrace wet sump pan from Moroso. And the headers were special order from Schoenfeld in Alabama. But theyre here now and after I get the trans back I can mount it and start plumbing/wiring the actual engine Im going to use instead of the mock up engine. Hours and hours on the web/phone sourcing those parts as neither of them are listed in their catalouges.
Attached Thumbnails my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-monstr-lrg.jpg  

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 05-01-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:28 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
Found out the pan in the above pic wouldnt work as the Dart block is a "spread rail" design in the pan mating surfaces to accomodate the stroker crank. It also has the cam galley raised up in the block for the same reason. So I ended up having to get a special order roadrace wet sump pan from Moroso. And the headers were special order from Schoenfeld in Alabama. But theyre here now and after I get the trans back I can mount it and start plumbing/wiring the actual engine Im going to use instead of the mock up engine. Hours and hours on the web/phone sourcing those parts as neither of them are listed in their catalouges.
those two items didn't come cheap I'll bet. Been watching this project for a long time. I am envious of the time you have put into this project. I hope this turns out exactly the way you want
Old 05-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wobble
those two items didn't come cheap I'll bet. Been watching this project for a long time. I am envious of the time you have put into this project. I hope this turns out exactly the way you want
Thanks man, So many projects like this get stalled out, pushed over to the corner and never get finished/run. This car is going to RUN and Im just as enthused now as I was when I started...maybe more so. Ive spent hundreds of hours on the web digging up pics of old and new race cars, old Trans Am cars and figured out where I want to be.

In one way its easy because its so out there I can do anything I want, on the other hand its hard because I can do anything I want..... there are 10 different solutions to everything that needs to be done. Makes your head spin. If you are restoring a car back to bone stock its much simpler (I didnt say easy) because you look at pics/books etc and put it right back to stock. You know exactly where you have to go.

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 05-01-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Registered

After buying the battery box off a picture in a catalog and obsessing over placement I put it here and Im happy with it. Kind of central but over to the right to offset driver weight, protected and can still get the fuel cell out. And still room for a dry sump tank to the right.
Attached Thumbnails my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-batt-box-lrg.jpg  

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 05-01-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Registered

In the previous pics the glass bumpers were just sitting there balanced on the car. After more head scratching I came up with this bumper/mount. Same done to the rear.
Attached Thumbnails my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-fr-bumper-lrg.jpg   my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-bumper-mount-lrg.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Registered

You winch a car like this up on the trailer. After three or four solutions I settled with this, works good, simple and super light.
Attached Thumbnails my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-bumper1.5-large-.jpg   my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-bumper3-large-.jpg   my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-bumper4-large-.jpg  

Old 05-02-2013, 12:06 AM
Registered

Spoke to David from Va at length about the rear spoiler. He said "Six inches tall and 60 degree angle" I said Holy Sh it thats big! He said "You have to pin that rear end down solid or it will be so dog gone loose you wont be able to drive it".....OK fine thats what we'll do. Heres a mock up. Thats 6.75" so it will be a little shorter. And a pic of the one that came on it.
Attached Thumbnails my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-rear-spoler-large-.jpg   my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project-1999-monte-carlos-004-large-.jpg  

Quick Reply: my "Winston Cup" 69 chevelle project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.