Notices

Cat vs. Cummins

Old 04-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck in what you are doing., Just remember that you will be spending alot more money for the 650 and still getting a one ton interior as far as space goes. Most of the 650's that I have ridden in ride pretty stiff even with air suspension. The 4 door petes go down the road as smooth as a town car. Also check that most ford stores do not have a service department that can work on the driveline. good luck
Old 04-02-2008, 08:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're going to be hard-pressed to beat Cat serviceability. There are 24/7 Cat distributors/service centers everywhere across the country, plus every truck dealer out there can work on them.

If you have a problem on the road, nothing is going to get back running faster than the Cat. Their parts prices are STEEP though.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Banned

yes my current truck is a cat and when I have a problem there are cat stores everywhere. But Cat is very proud of the color yellow and the prices reflect that
Old 04-02-2008, 10:33 AM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
You're going to be hard-pressed to beat Cat serviceability. There are 24/7 Cat distributors/service centers everywhere across the country, plus every truck dealer out there can work on them.

If you have a problem on the road, nothing is going to get back running faster than the Cat. Their parts prices are STEEP though.
I heard that they have already had 16 recalls on the new 08 stuff??? from what I have heard they are having a hard time with the emmisions??? anybody else hear that???
Old 04-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bob Zubik
I heard that they have already had 16 recalls on the new 08 stuff??? from what I have heard they are having a hard time with the emmisions??? anybody else hear that???

I can't speak to the recalls but seriuously doubt 16 have occurred in '08.

I can say that your source on the emmissions is incorrect at this time. All the Cat on highway are Tier 3 compliant and most off highway. Now Tier 4 is coming up in the not to distant future and all diesel engine manufacturers are struggling with Tier 4. Many manufacturers are still buying credits for Tier 3 compliance.

Most engine manufacturers used EGR to meet Tier 3 which is an inefficient bandaid and will create total redesign for tier 4. Cat developed ACERT for Tier 3 which is leaps and bounds above other manufacturers.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:54 AM
BZ
Registered

so what you are saying is that someone is trying to sell me the Cummings because they have them in stock?? LOL
Old 04-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

even though I am a cat person in the larger truck engines, for the medium duty segment for now I would go with cummins
Old 04-02-2008, 02:29 PM
BZ
Registered

Originally Posted by bgchuby01
even though I am a cat person in the larger truck engines, for the medium duty segment for now I would go with cummins
why?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Registered

When 25 yr veteran Cat tech's say they would not buy one currently, I'll listen.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Banned

If you are going to use it for personal use only the cat would be ok. If you are going to use the truck for commercial use go with the cummins. Cat is having lots of problems with the emissions and the new smog devices cause lots of heat. On the big trucks, some of them have caught fire due to the high heat (1700 degrees) for the exuaust temp

Quick Reply: Cat vs. Cummins

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.