Notices

Towing Capacity GMC 3500 Dually

Old 04-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stainless
we should call myco monday and see what they say it may be different with a boat trailer with little tongue weight vs a camper trailer that tends to sway all over the road ? who knows? i do know the 08 f450 did say 8k limit for a non wt dist setup though ... of that i'm positive... i think the mfrs mislead people with their advertising and most dont read the fine print.. i know for sure any dually will tow much better than a suburban is it legal ? hmmmmm.
I already wrote Myco and asked them, will probably hear from them tomorrow. No doubt a dually will tow better, never questioned that part. I am just trying to get to the bottom of the regs, then calculate what I need and then purchase a truck that will keep me legal as well as everybody else safe. My annual driving with my truck is about 3000 miles and I can not justify getting a brand new F-450, despite the fact that I would love to... On the other hand, she can't be pi$$ed for that long either, huh??
Old 04-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Registered

No... been thinking about it though ... sweet plane
Don't do it! 4 airlines shut down this week, too many pilots out there right now. Unless you want to go and fly in China or middle east, don't become a pilot. I was severely lucky and landed the best job there is - 11000 applicants - 324 got hired... Feel free to e-mail me if you want more info.

Kim !
Old 04-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Registered

Thanks ! I was thinking more along the lines as a private pilot. I'm surprised Chris Sunken hasen't chimed in with input on the towing issue it's one of his favorite topics !
Old 04-06-2008, 12:30 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Stainless, the good news is you can pull 15,900 lbs of total trailer weight as GM says......the bad news is that you trailer can only be rated for 13000 lbs. and you have to figure out how to rig a WD system in your goose neck. HAHA
Tell that to myco.

See.....pretty obvious they are talking about two different things. 13k lbs is your frame reciever hitch max with w/d(b/c most trailers that heavy have the high tongue weight too and they are covering their bases,) and 15900 is total trailer weight no matter how you rig it up as long as its not on the frame reciever b/c they already said 13k max with a W/D system and those are only used on frame systems. ie. gooseneck.....but there are execptions like a heavy trailer in your frame reciever that fully supports its weight on its axles and thus cannot make a W/D system work....like a dumb truck trailer that just uses the truck to pull it, not support it too.

I dont think every OSO member is wrong in their reading of this. We all pull like this.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Registered

Thanks ! I was thinking more along the lines as a private pilot. I'm surprised Chris Sunken hasen't chimed in with input on the towing issue it's one of his favorite topics !
Private pilot - go for it! Ton of fun and real flying, not computer programming like I am doing...

I am sure Chris is out of town, he would have chimed in and I am sure he will. Maybe I gave him some food for thought with what I have dug up... I sure look forward to share some of his experience, he seem to have a good grip on towing issues.

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
Stainless, the good news is you can pull 15,900 lbs of total trailer weight as GM says......the bad news is that you trailer can only be rated for 13000 lbs. and you have to figure out how to rig a WD system in your goose neck. HAHA
Tell that to myco.

See.....pretty obvious they are talking about two different things. 13k lbs is your frame reciever hitch max with w/d(b/c most trailers that heavy have the high tongue weight too and they are covering their bases,) and 15900 is total trailer weight no matter how you rig it up as long as its not on the frame reciever b/c they already said 13k max with a W/D system and those are only used on frame systems. ie. gooseneck.....but there are execptions like a heavy trailer in your frame reciever that fully supports its weight on its axles and thus cannot make a W/D system work....like a dumb truck trailer that just uses the truck to pull it, not support it too.

I dont think every OSO member is wrong in their reading of this. We all pull like this.
I wish as much as you do that you where right, unfortunantely for all of us that like the 3500 dually, it is what it is. I will say it is perfectly safe to tow a 15000 lbs boat trailer in a dually with conventional setup, but legal - no! However, we have not reached the bottom and have not verified this with the rulemakers. There is still a chance that we have overlooked something, and I hope we have. I can assure you that I will continue to dig into this and get to the bottom of it.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:49 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Should the trailer you pull be rated to the max 13k lbs your trucks frame reciver hitch can pull...if you have that big a load to transport? Sure. It just releases some liability from GM should you have an issue with the trailer. You wouldnt overload your trailer would you?...of course not.

Will you be fine with an official truck stop weight proving your under the 13k load weight regardless of your trailer capacity? Yes. any lawyer will take that case. You wouldnt lie about overloading a trailer would you.

Im sure GM would rather say "trailer rating" in reference to their frame hitch b/c they figure you wouldnt overload a trailer right? No And that language would also imply that your truck souldnt be loaded with a trailer above 13k lbs, and just make sure the trailer says thats its capacity.

I guess its a round-a-bout way of saying it isnt it.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Registered

any of these 1 tons needs wd hitch to be legal for the truck irrespective of the rating of the receiver. There is no way around it. You need either an f450 and wd or a bigger truck.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:16 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Any response from myco?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
Any response from myco?
Nothing yet, and I have to admit I am not surprised. I might have opened a can of worms here looking for what is legal and not what everybody "thinks" is OK. I will post the response as soon as I do hear from them. I will also call them day after tomorrow if I don't hear anything.