Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Boat slipping on trailer - coming out >

Boat slipping on trailer - coming out

Notices

Boat slipping on trailer - coming out

Old 06-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Boat slipping on trailer - coming out

Is it pretty common to have boat slip back a few inches on the trailer as you 're coming back up the ramp after loading? This is a new boat/trailer for me; first time I got the boat on, winched it up and connected a safety line to the bow eye - I told wife to pull up the ramp "easy"....safety line snapped and boat slipped back on the trailer about 4".

Couldn't re-load...got it home, got it back in the lake two weeks later with a new (heavy duty, 3800lb.) ratchet safety strap...got it on the trailer, winched it up, ratcheted up the strap tight to the roller stop and had the wife pull the trailer out (slowly) again. Up in the lot - damn if it hadn't slipped back again, about 4-5" short of the roller stop. Safety strap and winch strap were OK.

The first time I saw the boat slip and heard the safety strap break. Second time I thought everything was OK until I got up to where she stopped in the lot and looked at it.

What -Do I need to use a chain on the bow eye instead of a ratchet strap? Boat is just an '87 Formula 242 LS. I don't like towing it 4" short on the trailer...it's not going anywhere, but I can tell the difference when towing - and with the tongue weight.

Is a safety chain a special item?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

A new winch strap can stretch AND needs to be wound tight. You need to keep winching that thing TIGHT. You will be able to watch the spindle and the inner folds spin for several rotations without the boat moving, while just sitting there on the trailer.

You might also opt for a stronger winch strap. You would be better off with 5K lbs. rating. Try a truck stop.

Most of us have a safety chain that gets hooked before the boat comes up the ramp when pulling out.

I also run a 10K lb. ratchet strap between the bow eye and the trailer before hitting the road.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure it's slipping or are you just on a steep ramp and the angle changes once you pull forward? I try to look when launching at the spot just before the boat comes off- that way I can load in that same spot. The bunks will rub the chines and center the boat and you can winch that last couple inches.

Is it a really steep ramp?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey BIG Daddy use a 10K lb. ratchet strap between the bow eye and the trailer ,never had one snap or come loose yet ...
Old 06-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Are you sure it's slipping or are you just on a steep ramp and the angle changes once you pull forward? I try to look when launching at the spot just before the boat comes off- that way I can load in that same spot. The bunks will rub the chines and center the boat and you can winch that last couple inches.

Is it a really steep ramp?
I'll be sure to check for that spot next time out - I suppose it could just be an angle problem...the ramp doesn't seem all that steep, however. When I idle the boat up and back onto the trailer, it doesn't seem like the trailer is at a very steep angle, and I've got it pretty far in the water. I will just have to watch it more carefully next time to see what's going on, I guess...

Thanks, Guys!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happens on mine as well. As you pull boat out, but some is still in water, winch it forward more. It is difficult to get a tight fit on longer boats becasue too much weight comes out of the water before it settles, then you cannot winch it
Old 06-04-2008, 10:05 AM

This may not be the best advice, but once you are out of the water, crank down on that bi%^#, travel about 2 miles or so and do it again, repeat until boat is snug on stopper. The vibration on the road will allow the boat to move forward until it hits the stopper as long as allot of tension is on it.

We have had to do this sometimes due to the ramp angle. As for safety YES use a strap and chain and anything else you have. Seriously I had a dock line save one of our boats before.

WILL
Old 06-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post a picture of your winch / front end of trailer while launcing / retrieving. Sounds like you have an angle issue that if corrected could save your trailer as well your boat. I had this same problem but did a few mods to the trailer and it is now a non issue.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Do you have bunks or rollers?

If bunks than you probably have an angle problem. I have to get my cafe further than I THINK it should be so that when I pull it out of the water it sits properly - otherwise it is 6 inches shy of the bumpstop - and no amount of winching is goign to move that thing.

If rollers - than yeah you probably are rolling back down...
Old 06-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kims
Post a picture of your winch / front end of trailer while launcing / retrieving. Sounds like you have an angle issue that if corrected could save your trailer as well your boat. I had this same problem but did a few mods to the trailer and it is now a non issue.
Exactly.

Quick Reply: Boat slipping on trailer - coming out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.