Notices

supporting wires & brake lines

Old 06-10-2008, 01:15 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default supporting wires & brake lines

Connecticut requires supports for electrical wires and brake lines every 18". I really don't want to drill holes in the frame to make them happy. Does anyone have a better idea? Do stick on wire ties hold up?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The stick-ons are all but worthless. We get machine controls that use them in NEMA rated enclosures. They last maybe a year sitting in airtight, waterproof boxes that don't move or vibrate. Then they start to fall off.

If you've seen the little 1 1/2" square stick-on wire tie mounts, you can order them without the adhesive backing from McMaster-Carr. I mount them with a fast-set industrial mastic- you could probably use liquid nails. Then wire-tie to your heart's content. If you're doing brake lines, I'd put them about 10" apart.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:03 PM
rjr
Registered

Thanks Chris
Old 06-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not put them in a PVC pipe, then secure the PVC pipe where needed (corners and looong streches). That way the wires are supported every fraction of an inch... It is the way my Myco is set up and it works great. I did an aluminum trailer a couple of weeks ago and supported the wires and brake lines with spiral wrap, then mounted tie wraps everywhere needed as well as slide over frame steel clips.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:04 AM
rjr
Registered

Thats a pretty good idea. I suppose you could drill holes along the bottom to let water drain. Lot of work though. I would have to restring the wire, and re-plumb the brake lines. Plus you would not be able to inspect what you couldn't see.

I bought the cable bases Chris was talking about and some 3M weather strip adhesive to do the job. Hopefully the inspectors will buy off on it.