Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Middle Wheel Fell Off on I-95 Saturday Evening >

Middle Wheel Fell Off on I-95 Saturday Evening

Notices

Middle Wheel Fell Off on I-95 Saturday Evening

Old 07-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

I lost the entire tire/brake/backing plate assembly off my trailer once on the way down to LOTO....luckly i carry my 3ton jack with me when i trailer.....i wouldnt imagine trying to change a trailer tire using the stock truck jack!!....anyway i run into town got about 10' of chiain and some nuts/bolts....chained up the axle off the ground and it got us home all the way to Chicago!! was a LONG 8hr trip constantly watching the back! That chain has yet to leave my truck now! and it has come in handy a few other times yanking people out of the snow during winter!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lost 2 bearings on the same side of my tandam trailer. 1 went first so I tried to limp on the other. Well that didn't last long and had to wait for a flat bed tracter trailer and get towed.

Now I carry a spare tire, hub, bearings, 2 bottle jacks, 2 tire irons, 6X6 blocks, wheel chock, air tank and pump (mainly for the air horns) rags, gloves, and my cell phone.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
I lost 2 bearings on the same side of my tandam trailer. 1 went first so I tried to limp on the other. Well that didn't last long and had to wait for a flat bed tracter trailer and get towed.

Now I carry a spare tire, hub, bearings, 2 bottle jacks, 2 tire irons, 6X6 blocks, wheel chock, air tank and pump (mainly for the air horns) rags, gloves, and my cell phone.
Trade the bottle jacks for a couple jack stands and a 3 ton floor jack.......
Old 07-15-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone should also have a piece of 1/2" steel plate, 12" x 18". Soft ground sucks for jacking a trailer axle up.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:42 AM
rjr
Registered

Last P.S. (I Hope)

Amongst the things I did was back the rear wheel up the plastic ramp that someone here on the forum clued me into. I mainly use them for chocks and really didn't have much faith in their ability to support the trailer with the boat on it. I was pleasantly surprised how well they worked. One note. on another thread there was conversation about 4WD vs 2WD. I needed 4WD to get tup the ramp. I just looked and didn't see any listed today but I found them on Ebay. Lastly, they are too long to fit between the middle and outer wheels, so I am going to start carrying Paradox forest of lumber in order to make a short one. BUT ramps are the way to go to get a wheel off the ground. quick easy, and I think safer than a jack
Old 07-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you check the clearance between your lug nuts on your aluminum trailer wheels and the wheel itself. I thought I had everything to change a wheel, special lug wrench, wood blocks, HD floor jack, etc. and the realized that the lug wrench would not fit over the lugs and clear the wheel. The only thing that will fit is a very skinny 1/2" deep well 12 pt.standard socket, not a heavy duty impact socket. Carry a couple of them and a big breaker bar, you will probably break one or two of the sockets if the aluminum wheels have not been off in a while. Carry a large dead blow hammer to knock the wheels off the hub, and some WD40 or spray lube. You can never have too many tools with you.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after also loosing a wheel I alway cary spare parts
but one of the nice things about torsion axles if you loose a wheel the axle does not hit the ground.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:49 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Unless the trailer is on fire(mayber even then), drag it to a safe spot to work, generally all the damage that is going to be done has already happened.

As we have all seen, the emergency lane of a freeway is no place to work on a vehicle.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually the bottle jack is better than a floor jack. Bottle jacks are usually 11 ton or more while floor jacks are only around 2 or 3 ton. I carry both with me but if the boat is over 10,000lbs I won't even take the floor jack out of the truck, it won't lift the trailer high enough to even change a tire.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:08 PM
BL6
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

I've made 2 long hauls so far this season, blew a tire ea. time. I carry lots of tool, so they swap out quick. However, first time I did not have my torque wrench with me. Thought I had heard not to over tighten alum rims, so I snugged down good, but not too hard. An hour later I pulled off highway into a very small town, Southern Ill, 9pm.
I looked in rear view as I pulled around a corner. Tire was hanging at 45 degrees off hub. Three of the six studs had broken off. Turned out a the first person I spoke to was related to the NAPA store mgr in town. He came right down, ran to his store & got me new studs & lugs (I now carry spares). I was good to go in 1/2 hour. I knew to check torque at ea fuel stop, etc. but had forgot over winter.

Last edited by BL6; 07-23-2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: sp.

Quick Reply: Middle Wheel Fell Off on I-95 Saturday Evening

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.