Notices

2WD towing????

Old 11-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U will defen. see the diffr. when u start replacing front bearings and hubs, crazy $$$$$ vers. a 2WD.

And alot more tire wear on a 4X4 even not using it.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:18 AM
GB
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
That's why I said

I have never had to put my truck in 4wd either....DOUBT I ever will because I do use the same ramp 9 out of 10 times I launch the boat.
Joe this should help ya out if your still on the fence.

Peace
Old 11-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZP'd
I tow with a 2500HD Chev 2WD and never ever have had a issue anywhere including Jamestown ramp at Cumblerland when wet, Limited slip diff and correct tongue weight and your good to go unless your launching where you shouldn't be anyway.

Try J-town in the rain tugging a Top gun...4wd and chirping the tires a 1/4 mile to the top...The pucker factor is WAY up there !....4wd..Why chance it ?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GB
Joe this should help ya out if your still on the fence.

Peace
yeah I'm still undecided... I launch at the same place constantly and haven't needed 4x4 yet... but I would also like to take it to a couple other places.... I still gotta get rid of mine anyways, but now i'm leaning towards 2wd again.... I wanna stick with a chevy I think though so now don't know about gas (454) or diesel
Old 11-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 776 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by 007joe
yeah I'm still undecided... I launch at the same place constantly and haven't needed 4x4 yet... but I would also like to take it to a couple other places.... I still gotta get rid of mine anyways, but now i'm leaning towards 2wd again.... I wanna stick with a chevy I think though so now don't know about gas (454) or diesel
Yep - ultimately it is your decision. Lot of constructive feedback in here so make the decision based on your circumstances......

Good Luck....
Old 11-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Easy guys....the input is start'n to get ugly. Every situation is gonna differ depending on boat size, location, ramps and yes...personal preference. In my 20+ years as an over the road driver I know a little something about weight distribution and live and breath fuel milage/tire wear. I've had both 2WD and 4WD and the difference is a lot less then some are mak'n it out to be. If you sell the truck in the North, the resale value on 4WD makes up for it and then some. Weight distribution isn't gonna matter when the crest of a boat ramp changes 10-15 degrees. Once the truck clears the crest you've just lost the weight off the rear axle. If the ramp is wet...enough said. If you're gonna boat other ares as we do alot, you don't know what you're gonna find. When I still had my 2WD dually/30' Villain/Eagle trailer, I couldn't get up a perfect straight out ramp in Sheboygan, WI. Due to heavy ramp use it was very wet with a lot of algae...might just as well been on ice. Once the rear wheels got a taste of that I was screwed...looked pretty stupid being helped up the ramp by a 2WD Ford Ranger.
BTW...yes I did slide backwards...can't defy the laws of physics.

Joe, only you know your situation best. Hope all the input helps in your discission.

Wayne

Last edited by scarab kv; 11-18-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarab kv
Easy guys....the input is start'n to get ugly. Every situation is gonna differ depending on boat size, location, ramps and yes...personal preference. In my 20+ years as an over the road driver I know a little something about weight distribution and live and breath fuel milage/tire wear. I've had both 2WD and 4WD and the difference is a lot less then some are mak'n it out to be. If you sell the truck in the North, the resale value on 4WD makes up for it and then some. Weight distribution isn't gonna matter when the crest of a boat ramp changes 10-15 degrees. Once the truck clears the crest you've just lost the weight off the rear axle. If the ramp is wet...enough said. If you're gonna boat other ares as we do alot, you don't know what you're gonna find. When I still had my 2WD dually/30' Villain/Eagle trailer, I couldn't get up a perfect straight out ramp in Sheboygan, WI. Due to heavy ramp use it was very wet with a lot of algie...might just as well been on ice. Once the rear wheels got a taste of that I was screwed...looked pretty stupid being helped up the ramp by a 2WD Ford Ranger.
BTW...yes I did slide backwards...can't defy the laws of physics.

Joe, only you know your situation best. Hope all the input helps in your discission.

Wayne
Perfectly stated! To add to the statement about resale in the North: It's almost impossible to sell a 2wd pickup where it snows a lot unless it is a cheap work truck
Old 11-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Real life opinions is what 007 was looking for and that is what he is getting.

There is no "right answer" to his question. Personal opinion only.

As for the 7.4l (454 gasser) that's what I have and it does pretty well. 2000 Chevy dually with now 121,000 miles and no rebuild yet. Towed the race boat across the country a few times this year 21k miles. Averaged 8.5 mpg towing the 27 Activator and full of gear and crew! 7000lb boat & trailer and a golf cart, tools, and spare parts in the truck...LOADED!

Dave
Old 11-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by axapowell
Real life opinions is what 007 was looking for and that is what he is getting.

There is no "right answer" to his question. Personal opinion only.

As for the 7.4l (454 gasser) that's what I have and it does pretty well. 2000 Chevy dually with now 121,000 miles and no rebuild yet. Towed the race boat across the country a few times this year 21k miles. Averaged 8.5 mpg towing the 27 Activator and full of gear and crew! 7000lb boat & trailer and a golf cart, tools, and spare parts in the truck...LOADED!

Dave
Yes you will get your money worth out of that gasser. My 2WD dually was an 85 with a 454. Bought it 3 years old with 157,000 on it. Put 120,000 on myself and sold it to a local lawn care outfit in 94. He did the body on it and replaced a very wore out carb...that's it. Seen him with it in my neighbor hood this summer and she now has over 350,000 on it and he's never touched the motor. My last gasser only had 70,000 on it when I thought I had to have a newer truck...what the h!ll was I ever thinking.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My experiences

Originally Posted by 007joe
I'm attempting to sell my silverado 1500 and want to buy a 2500 or 3500 chevy or similar but only use it for towing so was thinking to go 2wd. I never need my 4wd with my 260 Velocity, but also plan on upgrading boat.
Anybody tow, specifically launch with a 2wd truck?
How bad is it to come up a ramp?
What tow/ boat combos?
Thanks

Never is a loong time- I think you mean you havent yet needed 4wd with your 26 ft velocity in the situations youve encountered so far.

Ive only rarely needed 4WD, but when I did- I was really glad I had it. 8 times out of 10 I use 2WD when pulling a boat up a ramp and Im fine.

To answer your questions it all depends on the ramp-

Ocean ramps can have severe high and low tide cycles and when you combine that with the green algae that grows on them pulling out a 5-10K boat up a steep slick ramp with all 4 wheels wet can be a real challenge.

I dont tow anything over 10K pounds so I went with a smaller 1/2 ton truck, but with 4wd capability. (Nissan titan 4x4- the new Toyota is an excellent choice as well)

A compromise allowing me better economy while maintaining flexbility, of course my boats are only 28 and 21 ft and my toy hauler is about 9K - all of which I can pull just fine- if youre thinking of upping to 42 ft twin in 2 years get a 4x4 diesel now.

If you boat almost exclusively in a place where you know the ramp situation- 2wd is probably ok-

If you plan on launching from in various lakes, rivers, or ocean front states you arent familiar with- dont risk it. Buy the additional capability and security of a 4WD unless youve got a friend standing by at your side with his or her 4WD to save your behind when the inevitable happens.

I wish I could tell you with confidence youll never have an issue with 2WD but my personal experience doesn't bear this out.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 Ilmor 710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring 406 SB

Quick Reply: 2WD towing????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.