Notices

(real) HID headlight education

Old 12-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 524 Posts
Default (real) HID headlight education

I've got three vehicles that I'd like to upgrade to REAL HID lights, with ballast and everything. Obviously, there is a lot on eBay, and most of it is cheap imitation "blue" "xenon" bulbs.

My headlights are as follows:

H13 Ford Superduty (integrated hi/lo in same bulb)

9006/9005 GMC Yukon (separate hi/low bulbs)
want to convert foglights too, but not sure of bulbs

H7/H1 Mercedes Benz (separate hi/low bulbs)
H1 foglights

I am pretty certain that I want to covert ALL of them, hi/low/fogs to HID. I want to make sure I get a quality setup. I want to make sure I am not going to melt any housing.

Can anyone offer advice? Does anyone have experience with aftermarket conversion setups? Is there a preferred/dominant vendor?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to pia offroad lights that are the strongest without installing a ballast. I now have more light than I need. with pia you are getting a quality bulb rather than a chinese knockoff
Old 12-04-2008, 09:11 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

The HID Outdoor Equipment lights on ebay are the real deal....ballast and all. They are like $58 too.

Work very well on our Trailblazer SS. Wont ever go back.

Last edited by tblrklakemo; 12-04-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

On your Yukon.....i have a Tahoe with the same bulbs...from what ive read on other sites its not worth spending the coin for the real HID's cause it places the bulbs deeper in the housing and doesnt use the refective properties of the houseing right...again just what ive read....what i did was upgrade the bulbs to the sylvania silverstars...huge difference and nice and bright now...$30 well spent.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Oh and another thing i did was also upgrade the wiring supplying the bulbs.....the stock wiring draws juice from the headlight switch...ever go on a long trip and feel the switch before shutting it off???? it get damn hot! I made a harness with two relays for each side and the bulbs now draw juice straight from the Batt....the switch never warms up now its only used as a trigger for the relays

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wally
Oh and another thing i did was also upgrade the wiring supplying the bulbs.....the stock wiring draws juice from the headlight switch...ever go on a long trip and feel the switch before shutting it off???? it get damn hot! I made a harness with two relays for each side and the bulbs now draw juice straight from the Batt....the switch never warms up now its only used as a trigger for the relays
Post a pic of that harness and so ,please. I whant to do that to my suburban. Its a 96 though.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
The HID Outdoor Equipment lights on ebay are the real deal....ballast and all. They are like $58 too.

Work very well on our Trailblazer SS. Wont ever go back.
Can you provide a link to the EBAY HID's that ARE good?
Thanks in advance!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Originally Posted by daredevil
Post a pic of that harness and so ,please. I whant to do that to my suburban. Its a 96 though.

Thanks
Daredevil, what i ended up doing was getting some plug from an auto parts store and making up a harness to plug inplace of the orriginal light socket plugs......so basicly all you have to do is hook up batt +/- and run the plugs up to the headlights and unhook the orriginal plug and plug those into the harness and plug the new socket into the lights....that way if i ever decide to get rid of the trucvk i can put it all back to stock so the next guy doesnt have to try figuring it out incase a relay or something goes bad.....and if it does happen to go bad when on the road you can also go right back to stock in about 3min

I can draw up a schematic for ya and post it up or email you if you like

Old 12-15-2008, 10:09 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by FASTTIMES
Can you provide a link to the EBAY HID's that ARE good?
Thanks in advance!
Just search for HID kits and "hid outdoor equipment" is the seller.

There are other places on the net that have kits for 100 and another for 188......but who knows if they are the same, just marked up.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 524 Posts

It took some searching, but this is the seller I think you are referring to:

HID Outdoor Equipments is the STORE.

http://stores.ebay.com/HID-Outdoor-Equipments

Seller:
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/lighting623/

You have to be very specific in the search query.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-15-2008 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: (real) HID headlight education

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.