Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
1993 Suburban Heat problem -Help! >

1993 Suburban Heat problem -Help!

Notices

1993 Suburban Heat problem -Help!

Old 01-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 1993 Suburban Heat problem -Help!

hey guys, I know many of you are very handy so maybe you can help me out. The front heat in my suburban stopped working the other day. The rear heat works fine. The lights on the control panel work, but the digital part that shows what heat settings are do not. And it cannot be adjusted, the heat will not turn on. I brought it the mechanic and he reset something, and it worked for a few days, but then died again. Anyone know what he reset? or if it is something I can do myself.

Thanks in advance for all your knowledge!
Jon
Old 01-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
hey guys, I know many of you are very handy so maybe you can help me out. The front heat in my suburban stopped working the other day. The rear heat works fine. The lights on the control panel work, but the digital part that shows what heat settings are do not. And it cannot be adjusted, the heat will not turn on. I brought it the mechanic and he reset something, and it worked for a few days, but then died again. Anyone know what he reset? or if it is something I can do myself.

Thanks in advance for all your knowledge!
Jon
Possible control unit failure. The rideis old enough you may find one in a bone yard. Also yes sometimes powering off the earlier units by disconnecting the battery would reset them. Then they would be ok again for a while. I had a 92 suburban that the ac would stop in it while under warranty. The part at the time was not readily available for some reason so they had me disconnect the battery every time it happend for a week or 2 until they got the new part in.. It worked but it sucked as it was july & I was travelling in New orleans at the time... Anyway.. If you want you may be able to just find the main power lead to the control unit itself in the wire harness and wire in a on off switch. THen you could reset the unit as needed until you get the new part or pin point the actual problem..

Some others may have ideas that can help you as well.. But thats what comes to mind at the moment.. Jamie
Old 01-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look up blower resistor on sites like dieselplace.com or fullsizechevy.com A known issue with them. There is also two fuses associated with this system AND the connectors are prone to melting. Nice, eh?

No joke I literally just got back from autozone buying the same item. For my '97 Dually its part number DR776 $17 and I would replace the blower if its old too PM149 $48. Again these part #s are for a '97 K3500 so you will want to verify. Let me know how it goes.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks guys, I had it in the shop today and we pulled the dash, disconnected it, then reconnected it. worked for about ten minutes. I think there is a short somewhere in the dash because the radio also cut out when he moved the thing like two wires touched. I know the truck is ancient, it was supposed to be gone, but our dog had some major surgery and spent a month in the emergency vet. so unfortunately the money for a new suburban is not available right now. thanks for the anwers, I will take a look into both your suggestions tomorrow.